Why become a member? ×

I love Jazz Basses...

thebassist

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1460094921' post='3022446']
I'm all cool with you loving jazz basses, but if you start soloing using the bridge pickup and your fingers next to the bridge to get the "quacky duck" sound then get out and take your flat cap with you. J/K

Well, half j/k.
[/quote]

With the tone rolled all the way too...

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1460068492' post='3022404']
But doesn't the hum from the pickups under certain lights drive you nuts!
[/quote]

I typically have the pickups 0% or 100% but I know what you mean. I've been thinking about maybe trying a set of these Aguilar hum cancelling pickups out.

http://www.aguilaramp.com/products_pickups_AGJHC.htm

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1460103975' post='3022538']
I typically have the pickups 0% or 100% but I know what you mean. I've been thinking about maybe trying a set of these Aguilar hum cancelling pickups out.

[url="http://www.aguilaramp.com/products_pickups_AGJHC.htm"]http://www.aguilaram...ckups_AGJHC.htm[/url]
[/quote]

Presumably not in the 64 :o

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1460104429' post='3022546']
Presumably not in the 64 :o
[/quote]

That is the one I'd go for first ;)

Actually the '72 has non-original pickups in it - maybe that'll be the one to experiment on. I obviously don't need four Jazz Basses but the '13 is the absolute best US Standard I've ever played and the 5-string Deluxe is brilliant too - I got super, super lucky with that bass - the B string on Fenders are pretty much always crap in my opinion but this one is superb... rather ironically it's strung EADGC!

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1460107312' post='3022580']
ah there's no need to justify it :)

I just bought that White MIJ 66 from the marketplace and I definitely didn't need it :blink: ... wanted it though!
[/quote]

Errrhhhh I need photos!!!!!! All my Jazz Basses are sunburst but I really want an OW one now!

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1460107394' post='3022581']
Errrhhhh I need photos!!!!!! All my Jazz Basses are sunburst but I really want an OW one now!
[/quote]

No photos until a replacement pickguard arrives... tort is only acceptable on sunburst :mellow:

I've come to realize I am as much a collector / trader of bass gear as I am a bass player... I get just as much enjoyment out of changing my gear around / trying new stuff as I do from playing in bands :)

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1460107312' post='3022580']
ah there's no need to justify it :)

I just bought that White MIJ 66 from the marketplace and I definitely didn't need it :blink: ... wanted it though!
[/quote]

The one with the blocks and binding? That was lush! Well done! Now if someone would just buy my Geddy Lee? :ph34r:

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1460108705' post='3022598']
The one with the blocks and binding? That was lush! Well done! Now if someone would just buy my Geddy Lee? :ph34r:
[/quote]

Yes indeed, it should be arriving tomorrow as the seller was very accommodating by shipping it out to arrive on a weekend :)

Got a couple of cheapie ebay pickguards arriving (White and Black) to see which I prefer before getting a decent one :)

Not had a jazz with 60s spacing before so looking forward to giving it a blast tomorrow :)

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1460107597' post='3022589']
No photos until a replacement pickguard arrives... tort is only acceptable on sunburst :mellow:

I've come to realize I am as much a collector / trader of bass gear as I am a bass player... I get just as much enjoyment out of changing my gear around / trying new stuff as I do from playing in bands :)
[/quote]

I tend to agree with the pickguard.

I asked Fender and Absolute Music about getting a tort pick guard for my 2014 US Deluxe 5 string and was quoted over £100... for a piece of plastic! I'll be sticking with the stock black one!

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1460103828' post='3022537']
With the tone rolled all the way too...
[/quote]

I cringe when someone does this too - I like the solo bridge pup with the tone off or low but tone 100%.... aaaahh! scratchy finger noise! :mellow:

:P

I don't love Jazz basses, except the '73 I tried that a friend owns. Several things I shouldn't like about it (sunburst, block inlays, bound neck, and, er, it's a Jazz), but it sounds great.

So yes, I do accept that a Jazz can be good.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1460313179' post='3024594']
I don't love Jazz basses, except the '73 I tried that a friend owns. Several things I shouldn't like about it (sunburst, block inlays, bound neck, and, er, it's a Jazz), but it sounds great.

So yes, I do accept that a Jazz can be good.
[/quote]

Kind of like this bad boy?

[URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/minuspilots/media/2_zpsz6ow0hov.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag101/minuspilots/2_zpsz6ow0hov.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1460068492' post='3022404']
But doesn't the hum from the pickups under certain lights drive you nuts!
[/quote]

I have had a few different jazz basses and I have never heard any hum with them when I stay 1m far from power supply.
What kind of amp do you use ?