Why become a member? ×

Has anyone compared a BF BB2 with a Vanderkley 115MN6?

dave_bass5

Had I not been offered to use the new rehearsal Ashdown 4x10 combo, I would have been more interested in a smaller do-it-all-up-to-a-certain-extent light cab. Alas, paying £3 for a 3 hours on an Ashdown is a small price to pay for not carrying a cab down 3 flights of stairs and trying to get it into a New Beetle.

Off topic, but jees, this Ashdown combo unfortunately keeps with the generalisation of 'wooliness'. Loud, bassey, but not enough clarity at all. Barely any sparkle, Massive mid dip when flat I think. Shame as I wanted to investigate more Ashdown gear but it is an old combo any may well be in need of TLC.

Edited by Musicman20

You do realise you have just singed your death warrant lol.

I must admit i have the choice of a few cabs at the studio we use but prefer to stick with my own gear, more so because i know they are nothing like mine. i use rehearsals more to hone my tone rather than playing.

Its lucky that the cab also lives in the car boot, i wouldn't want to carry mine up and down the3 floors at home, no matter how light it is.

Edited by dave_bass5

We have a lovely old (and quite large) apartment but no lift. 3 flights of stairs! Imagine even taking a 40-50lb cab up after a 12 hour day. Moving in almost finished 3 grown men off.

However, it did push me forward on selling the Orange cabs.

They even have a decent PA so to be fair, I could just use the Sansamp.

Yeah, i cant imagine what it used to be like in the "old" days. The last non Neo cab i had was a Schroeder 1210R. wehn i first got it the weight never bothered me. Wehn i also got a 1212L i realised just how heavy the 1210R was. Even in the band up to last year both the guitarists combos weighed more than my bass rig.

Ah yes, of course.

Just on my way home from the first gig with the new cab. Very happy. Crappy stage with a low false ceiling above it. The on stage sound was nice but off stage the low end was very thin. This happened last time I played there with the 1212L so I know it's not the cab.
I made the right choice. I hope your gig with the BB2 went well.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1463754848' post='3053877']
Off topic, but jees, this Ashdown combo unfortunately keeps with the generalisation of 'wooliness'. Loud, bassey, but not enough clarity at all. Barely any sparkle, Massive mid dip when flat I think.
[/quote]

You may know this... if it's an ABM model the default setting is mid-scooped. In order to get all the mids back you need to press the shape button near the gain knob. It's kinda weird and opposite to most other manufacturers in that 'in' is flat and 'out' applies the mid-scoop!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1463754848' post='3053877']
Had I not been offered to use the new rehearsal Ashdown 4x10 combo, I would have been more interested in a smaller do-it-all-up-to-a-certain-extent light cab. Alas, paying £3 for a 3 hours on an Ashdown is a small price to pay for not carrying a cab down 3 flights of stairs and trying to get it into a New Beetle.

Off topic, but jees, this Ashdown combo unfortunately keeps with the generalisation of 'wooliness'. Loud, bassey, but not enough clarity at all. Barely any sparkle, Massive mid dip when flat I think. Shame as I wanted to investigate more Ashdown gear but it is an old combo any may well be in need of TLC.
[/quote]

Sorry for the thread hijack (although i do use an Ashdown thru a BB2 so i kind of qualify..)

I had an old ABM head and found the same thing, woolly and pillowy and couldn't get any sparkle - gave up and sold it on ages ago. Just ended up with an ABM600 head recently and hunted around for some setting advice on t'internet turned up something from Roger Bauer. Tried it and damned if it didn't change the whole sound of the amp. Its a bit anti logical but try it..... Disengage the scoop button (so its scooped), turn the bass control down to about 10 o'clock, bump the 180 slider down just a touch, boost 340 just a bit (puts some mids back), mid control about 1 o'clock, boost 1.3 slider a couple of notches, 2.6 to taste, treble at 2 o'clock. Oh and drive the valve a bit (puts the harmonic zing back in). Give it a go next time.....

[quote name='markorbit' timestamp='1464026813' post='3055901']
If it's an ABM model the default setting is mid-scooped. In order to get all the mids back you need to press the shape button near the gain knob. It's kinda weird and opposite to most other manufacturers in that 'in' is flat and 'out' applies the mid-scoop!
[/quote]

+1 I think Ashdown have dropped the ball a bit here. Most people assume that the 'shape' control is active when the button is pressed in, not when it is out! I'm sure their reputation for 'woolliness' and lack of mids is purely because of the unusual default setting of this one button.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1464261513' post='3057971']
Mark King has one of the cleanest sounds I know of & I don't think He hardly used the EQ on His Ashdown but the mid scoop was left on ( button out ).
[/quote]

Which is what you'd expect given his, ah... unique playing style. :)

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1463390631' post='3050871']

That's a bass set-up issue - the pickups need balancing. I might have put this in one of our older manuals but I see it isn't in the current one. If you're having that problem through the cab you'll have the same problem when DI'd through the FOH or when recording.

A lot of bassists will adjust their pickup balance through a little practice amp or at home practice volume. If you do that you're likely to end up with the low strings too loud and the high strings too quiet once you're at gig loudness - I do the main adjustment at home and then take a screwdriver to rehearsal/gig for fine tuning. You may need to do this whenever you change the brand/type/gauge of your strings and you'll always need to do this with a new bass or if you've adjusted your action or set-up significantly.
[/quote]

So we need different basses for different cabs now, no wonder people say going light weight is expensive!

Edited by sunburstjazz1967

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1464342828' post='3058580']
So we need different basses for different cabs now, no wonder people say going light weight is expensive!
[/quote]

I nearly responded to this but have decided that I've much better things to do, like well erm, anything really.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1464343637' post='3058591']
I nearly responded to this but have decided that I've much better things to do, like well erm, anything really.
[/quote]

Yes, I've got housework to do before the bank holiday. And I'm going to need a dump before too long.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1464343637' post='3058591']

[/quote]

Lies! That's just lazy talk.

To be honest, I have never read so much about a brand of cab that requires as much input from the end user to do a job. Any shortcomings always appears to be in the realm of the player and not the cab.

Stupid amounts of power, stage positioning, strings, bass setup, how you play your bass... I don't think I could do with the extra stress of gigging one.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1464342828' post='3058580']
[/quote]

Well ive never had to do any of that in the past, didnt need to do that with the studio cabs and didnt need to do it for the new cab so.........

Of course many people love the BB2, I did at first, but i think the correct answer would have been its just not for me, not that i am doing soemthnig wrong. There is nothing wrong with the BB2, nor my set up. I feel a few answers have been a bit condescending, although presented in a polite way.

Actually, come to think of it i wasnt asking for advice about the BB2 in this thread.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1464343985' post='3058597']

Stupid amounts of power, stage positioning, strings, bass setup, how you play your bass... I don't think I could do with the extra stress of gigging one.
[/quote]

Cool. Leave it to those of us that can cope with such things then :P

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1464343985' post='3058597']
[/quote]

I don't think anyone is suggesting that ownership is compulsory. Other brands of cab are available, apparently.