Why become a member? ×

Shallow or Chunky necks, what's your preference

Guest MoJo

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1459870430' post='3020430']
Why do you think a thin neck means a thin sound and chunky neck means a solid tone?
[/quote]
Just what I've found with basses I've played. I've seldom found a thin necked bass with a good deep growl. Most produce a thin metallic tone, that most folk seem to call "punchy".

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1459871072' post='3020442']
I guess that's the worm can opened now ;)
[/quote]
Many folk are happy to talk about resonance in the body changing the tone. I'll bet anything that resonance in the neck is more likely, by miles, to affect the tone.

Strangley, I've never (yet) warmed to a bass with a maple neck either. I'm open to being convinced.

Only just seen this thread. It was me who supplied the Tony Butler bass and it is a chunky neck. I prefer shallow and narrow as I can move around the fretboard a lot easier. The Tony butler seems to have a deeper neck than the standard V4 for some reason and I would say it is thicker than any other precision I've played.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1459879785' post='3020568']
The Tony butler seems to have a deeper neck than the standard V4 for some reason...
...I would say it is thicker than any other precision I've played.
[/quote]

Really? I'll have to look out for one... :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459858009' post='3020274']
I may just do that Lozz, thanks for the info. :)
Do you happen to know what the board radius is on those before I go a-Googlin'?
[/quote]

It`s a 9.25" radius Mark. Will be offloading mine at some point too, just had a very necessary - but very unwanted - car bill so something has to pay for it.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1459880375' post='3020574']
It`s a 9.25" radius Mark. Will be offloading mine at some point too, just had a very necessary - but very unwanted - car bill so something has to pay for it.
[/quote]

That's both annoying and interesting... is it black on black with a maple neck, by any chance? ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459880643' post='3020576']
That's both annoying and interesting... is it black on black with a maple neck, by any chance? ;)
[/quote]

No, strangley enough it`s black/tort/maple, my next fave.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1459871973' post='3020459']
Just what I've found with basses I've played. I've seldom found a thin necked bass with a good deep growl. Most produce a thin metallic tone, that most folk seem to call "punchy".
[/quote]

I've had two Hohner B2 5-strings, identical other than the pickups and one being active. Quite a chunky neck on them both of course, the passive one sounded quite thin in comparison to the active one. So necks may be a variable but I haven't found it myself. My extremely slim-necked Warwick has a good deep growl that's identical to the baseball-bat-necked Warwicks, so I would say that's two empirical results which show you haven't looked at the right slim-necked basses.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1459884088' post='3020621']
I've had two Hohner B2 5-strings, identical other than the pickups and one being active. Quite a chunky neck on them both of course, the passive one sounded quite thin in comparison to the active one. So necks may be a variable but I haven't found it myself. My extremely slim-necked Warwick has a good deep growl that's identical to the baseball-bat-necked Warwicks, so I would say that's two empirical results which show you haven't looked at the right slim-necked basses.
[/quote]
OK, so I need to get out more.. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to not like too chunky. My old 70's P bass was so chunky, after a while it hurt my hand - and this was when I was young! lol
It was also very heavy, but that is maybe another thread. It's generally accepted wisdom that Jazz necks are slimmer. But I'm always amazed at how much necks can differ - I've owned 3 Fender Jazzes, and each neck was quite different. My 70's RI had a very slim and narrow neck, which felt OK, but somehow a bit too thin. My 90's US Jazz was chunkier than the RI, but not as chunky as an older P bass. The J neck I find ideal is the one on my Roadworn Jazz. It's slimmer than that old P, but not too thin, and not too deep (Sorry, I haven't measured it)

Regarding P necks, I shied away from P basses purely because of the neck on that old 70's P of mine. On playing a more modern P bass, I find the neck is wide enough, but not too deep front to back. Similar to my RW Jazz, but slightly more shallow, and eminently (IMO) very playable and comfortable.

I owned a MM Stingray,and though I liked the build quality & sound, the neck was too much like that old P. I didn't get on with the Warwick I had - the neck was quite a narrow width, but front to back, the depth was very deep. Nice bass, but I just didn't get on with the neck.

These days, I find comfort so important. Yes, I can play or get used to any neck dimension, but if you're gigging for several hours, and you're out playing or rehearsing most nights - it's best to get the most comfortable neck to suit your playing. So it's modern C shaped P necks for me, and J necks which are not too slim.....

EDIT: I'd also say that just trying a bass out in a shop isn't a long enough time to know how well you're going to get on with it. Perhaps you'll know instantly whether it's immediately comfortable or not, but sometimes I feel you need to really play a bass a while

Edited by Marc S

Always played Precisions and Stingrays for years as my main instruments. However, due to an
ongoing left hand problem I've found that a less chunky neck is easier for me, especially on
long gigs. My Precision Lytes are ideal as have an overall slimness to them, and shallow too.
The funny thing is, on a six string guitar I'm pretty much the opposite, loving the chunky
profile on my 59 Junior and the Fender 'V' shape on my Strat and Tele.