Why become a member? ×

The best bass playing you have ever heard.?

bubinga5

I'm a massive admirer of Tamas Barabas' playing with Djabe,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MHnDUru6MU

He's got a great feel both for upbeat funk stuff along with lyrical fretless stuff. His playing is something I'd like to be aiming for myself tbh.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1459808104' post='3019969']
Any work from guys like Chuck Rainy, Rocco Prestia or Willie Weeks.

Blue
[/quote]

On the money, Blue. I was in Nashville when Willie Weeks moved there - same time as Hungate and Babbit. Sorta put the home boys on their mettle for a while.
But Rainey is probably my all-time bass hero.
Is there anything the man cant do?

If you are in any doubt, listen to his wonderful take on Jamerson on the Standing in the Shadows of Motown stuff.
My Hee-roe!

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1459888163' post='3020668']
I must say, Chuck Rainey (along with Anthony Jackson) is at the top of my faves list.
They just have that magical 'something special' vibe going on.
[/quote]

Cool, those guys are the relevant cats for my generation. When I hear a cool riff or lick from either of them I always give them a ;

"That's the sh*t!"

Blue

The best playing I have ever actually seen, ie witnessed first hand, was Alain Caron playing with Mike Stern. My god, he was blistering. Fantastic pocket playing and incredible soloing -- the only guy ive seen whose solos were so melodic, i found myself whistling their tunes on the way home. And he made it look soooooo easy. And he was having fun.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1459929062' post='3020838']
The best playing I have ever actually seen, ie witnessed first hand, was Alain Caron playing with Mike Stern. My god, he was blistering. Fantastic pocket playing and incredible soloing -- the only guy ive seen whose solos were so melodic, i found myself whistling their tunes on the way home. And he made it look soooooo easy. And he was having fun.
[/quote]

This was probably the same tour I saw him with Mike Stern and Didier Lockwood, fantastic flowing melodic playing from all, one of the best nights for me.

The best I've ever heard? That would span hundreds of recordings and live shows. Just thinking of live shows, if I have to choose one I'll go with Charlie Mingus playing unamplified in a tiny club in the mid-70s though. Or Jaco on the [i]Shadows And Light[/i] tour. Or Phil Lesh through the Wall Of Sound. Or Michael Manring in my friend's living room. Or Stanley Clarke with RTF doing [i]Romantic Warrior[/i]. No wait, Marcus Miller with Miles. Dave Holland with his own quintet. Tony Levin with KC. Mixing Kai Eckhardt at 4AM doing a wedding gig with Garaj Mahal.

And then I woke up, and I'm still just a hack. Same as it ever was.

Randy HOPE Taylor on Incognito's Magnetic Ocean. His playing through the record is great, the details like little double stops and general groove perfection. but his solo at 2.45 is just……!!! [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th-l-YVZzq4[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1459929062' post='3020838']
[/quote]

Wasn't the Jazz Cafe on a rainy Sunday night circa early 2004 was it? I saw AC playing with MS then and it was pretty damned impressive.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1459847670' post='3020128']
I loved the slap sound from Marcus back in the early days (this track).
More throaty, maybe before he had the preamp fitted?
Similar sound on the Dave Grusin album 'Mountain Dance', which was recorded
about a year earlier.

I find that musical ideas just pour out of MM.
His Fretless solos are very musical and lyrical.
[/quote]He had a Stars preamp fitted in his Jazz at that time. Just before he met Roger Sadowsky and then Roger recommended a Bartolini.

Scott Thunes on various Zappa albums (Make A Jazz Noise Here, The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life..)
Just killer P bass tone, exquisite note choices and phrases but always supportive of those around him. A brilliant musician who just happened to play bass.
He could really pump a driving groove too:

http://youtu.be/ly79mkffp7M