Why become a member? ×

New Thunderfunk - Dr Bass Rig

Dr Horn

Hey Guys,

I registered a few months ago but this is the first posting I've made to introduce myself and say HELLO!

My name is Simon and I'm and Aussie bass player living and working in London, teaching, gigging and exploring lots of bass possibilities!

The main reason for this post is to put some pictures up and review my new Thunderfunk/Dr Bass Rig! smile.gif

Thunderfunk 550 (last one built!) Dr Bass 115 and Dr Bass 1260 cabs (neo) + 72 Jazz Bass and 75 P- Bass

[attachment=13946:IMG_4109.JPG]

Thunderfunk 550 close up
[attachment=13947:IMG_4113.JPG]

There's not much to say expect that this rig is AMAZING!! After reading all the reviews and going to see Robbie at RIM Custom basses I took the plunge and haven't looked back since! In a nut shell - Power, headroom, my bass sounds like my bass! Rich, thick, even sound that cuts through in the high register, clarity, the list goes on!

What I really love about this amp is the switch between tube and solid state and the 4 band parametric EQ which is great for sorting out bass nodes in some rooms or tweaking for double bass. The EQ is neutral sounding, just cuts/boosts the frequencies you want with no coloration. Don't get me wrong, this amp is not a neutral, sterile beast it warms up as the gig goes on!!

The Dr Bass cabs are awesome as well, light, punchy with a ballsy no bullshit sound. I've used the 115 by itself and couldn't belief the dynamic range that came out of it! The 1260 is great for smaller gigs and Double Bass with the adjustable 6" dial proving to be very useful!
I'd like to try the 2x10 cab (Robbie, you might have another order from me!) and possibly try the ceramic versions though I'm not sure if the difference would out way the weight!

The best judge to test new gear is ask your band mates what they think as to them it's bass - good or bad. The response I got from the rest of the band with the new rig was 'Your bass seems so much more deeper and powerful'. That's all I needed to hear!!!

Well I could sit here all day and tell you how good this rig is but if you're thinking about it just give Robbie a call at RIM Custom basses and go check em out! You won't be disappointed! I've tried all the gear on the market at the moment and to me this sounds the best to what I'm after - across between an Ampeg SVT rig and GK 800RB perhaps.

Finally I've got me rig sorted......Time to go do some more playing!!

Feel free to ask any questions re the above rig.

Hope to see you on line soon,

Simon (aka Dr Horn!)

• 4 years later...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1363979546' post='2020560']
Just in case anyone is considering it...

It's worth mentioning that as good as DR Bass cabs may be, ordering anything from them these days is the equivalent of giving your money to some random bloke on the street.
[/quote] so last year too. all about barefaced now init?

• 2 weeks later...