Why become a member? ×

Road-worn Fodera!

Musashimonkey

I had a Fodera that I bought used.
It was mint and I spent the whole time worrying about putting a ding on it as any mark was going to effect the resale value by a huge amount.

If I ever buy one again it will be an old used one that has been well played in.
But they are hard to come by.
Ill have to wait until Victor decides to sell me his....

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1459813133' post='3020009']
You must explain which "Thickos" your referring to bud.
[/quote]

I think some of the comments on the Facebook thread really took it for what it was and got hooked in on the April fool, and went on a rant about the value. at the time I think a link to Fodera said that you had to pay and extra £6,000 for the worn finish.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1459836842' post='3020048']
April Fools thing aside, the whole roadworn thing only really works on painted finishes IMO... A natural wood bass with chunks out of it isn't quite the same really...
[/quote]

If you meant on brand new instrument kinda roadworn then I definitely agree!

Although I do think there is something charming about a fancy boutique bass that has a lot of genuine wear on it.
Usually because the owners of said instruments are usually pretty beastly and you know the instruments are loved! :)

Appart from that being posted on April 1st the "relic" job is photoshopped. It's easy to notice if you have the picture big enough. Here are the most notorious tells:

In this pic, the worn on the body on the arm rest not only removed the clear coat but it also removed the hole top wood leaving it with something with a different grain....

Even though the neck is worn and descoloured it still can shine a flash like a mirror???

It's obvious that Fodera wouldn't ruin a $$$$ bass just for an April's foul joke, it's cheaper to pay for photoshop but they could have paid a bit more for a more beliavable job.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1459863665' post='3020337']
Appart from that being posted on April 1st the "relic" job is photoshopped. It's easy to notice if you have the picture big enough. Here are the most notorious tells:

In this pic, the worn on the body on the arm rest not only removed the clear coat but it also removed the hole top wood leaving it with something with a different grain....

Even though the neck is worn and descoloured it still can shine a flash like a mirror???

It's obvious that Fodera wouldn't ruin a $$$$ bass just for an April's foul joke, it's cheaper to pay for photoshop but they could have paid a bit more for a more beliavable job.
[/quote]

If they paid anything for that Photoshop work then they were done!

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1459864064' post='3020340']
Doubt they had a huge spend for an April fools?
[/quote]

It's all about image and marketing even if it is only an April Fools post on Facebook. And for a company like Fodera that pride themselves on the quality of their instruments and attention to detail, if a job is worth doing then it should be worth doing properly. Besides if they spent even a little time on it they would have been able to find plenty of Photoshop artists willing to to a completely realistic looking job for under $50.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1459864837' post='3020350']
It's all about image and marketing even if it is only an April Fools post on Facebook. And for a company like Fodera that pride themselves on the quality of their instruments and attention to detail, if a job is worth doing then it should be worth doing properly. Besides if they spent even a little time on it they would have been able to find plenty of Photoshop artists willing to to a completely realistic looking job for under $50.
[/quote]

Maybe they did it for a laugh, you know, April Fools ;)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1459864837' post='3020350']

[/quote]

Is it something you could improve upon? Genuine question. Not being facetious in the least.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1459872704' post='3020468']
Absolutely - it's my day job which is why I feel so strongly about it.
[/quote]

I don't even know the basics of PS (just use pixlr for gig posters) and i could see right away how bad it was made. If it were done professionally then it would be a great April's foul joke and perfectly believable. They could even had it posted on their site, i find the general idea very original adn i'm always up for a good laugh, just a shame it was done like this.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1459873479' post='3020485']

If someone was to supply me with the original high resolution photographs of the bass and pay me $50 I would most definitely do it. ;-)
[/quote]

I'll dig out my spare fodera emperor and take my sander to it 😂