Why become a member? ×

What a groove this is.

bubinga5

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1459714338' post='3018932']
Stop making this thread about you, we all know you play for a living, how could we not. You tell us in what seems like nearly every post!
[/quote]

Like a direct, to the point version of my post...🤔

[quote name='Subbeh' timestamp='1459714338' post='3018932']
Stop making this thread about you, we all know you play for a living, how could we not. You tell us in what seems like nearly every post!

OP posts a great vid of some people having fun playing great music and yet again, Blue. Jesus wept! <_<
[/quote]

Nov, it was a great clip featuring cool musicianship. And I was complementary starting with my 1st reply.

Blue

Blue...love your natural ability...to piss everybody else off....

Do you doing it on purpose or do you not think before you hit the "Enter" key?? Whenever you do this you lower my opinion of you...fortunately there ain't too much further for you to go.

BTW Andrew...thanks for posting this..really enjoyed it - inspirational!!

Edited by TheGreek

Wow! Some great introductions to artists/players for me in this thread that I've never really dug out before - Snarky Puppy/Michael League and Fela Kuti.

I'm finding my way a bit with Snarky Puppy (some of the random live bits on YouTube are drawing me in more than the studio stuff at the minute) but Fela Kuti is just great. I had in my mind something completely different previously but the stuff referenced on this thread is lovely.

Still keep watching the original video, mind..! I can hear little bits of mid-period Talking Heads in there as well..

Great stuff..

Edited by Old Man Riva

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1459713471' post='3018924']
I happen to be in a band 10 years standing that happens to play a genre I like and I'm. well versed in.

No bands last forever, if I ever find myself on the market I'm not going to restrict by genre or what I don't like. I will restrict by my abilities and professionalism.

Even genres I don't like can be done well and professional. If a band is established and has solid book of continuous business I'll play polka.

Would I join a metal band, no. But only because I am not a match for it and don't have that sort if ability.

Blue
[/quote]
Nice one! But what's that got to do with anything Blue? Not everything has to be about getting paid and playing music. Even us guys who play for a living can have other interests and hobbies, sometimes it's fun to talk about them!

Not sure what half your post is about mind, the stuff about being professional, being well versed etc. means nothing to me. You work over the other side of the pond to me, so whatever. Or are you trying to instigate a discussion over being dedicated to a single genre, vs ability to wing it in a multitude of genres? Cause I can assure you there are literally tonnes of us on here that can play many genres very well. I'm sensing a lot of one-upmanship in your tone Blue, and I'd advise you to just reconsider such a tone.

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1459715706' post='3018961']
Wow! Some great introductions to artists/players for me in this thread that I've never really dug out before - Snarky Puppy/Michael League and Fela Kuti.

I'm finding my way a bit with Snarky Puppy (some of the random live bits on YouTube are drawing me in more than the studio stuff at the minute) but Fela Kuti is just great. I had in my mind something completely different previously but the stuff referenced on this thread is lovely.

Still keep watching the original video, mind..! I can hear little bits of mid-period Talking Heads in there as well..

Great stuff..
[/quote]
Fela is THE guy to go to when trying to venture towards African music. His sound is so relatable and easy to understand! For more similar stuff, check out Toumani Diabte, Sidiki Diabte, Ali Farka Toure, Femi Kuti, Seun Kuti, Issa Bagayogo, Orchestra Baobab, Salif Keita (Recently worked with Snarky Puppy on Family Dinner Vol 2) and Youssou N'Dour.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1459717125' post='3018984']

Nice one! But what's that got to do with anything Blue? Not everything has to be about getting paid and playing music. Even us guys who play for a living can have other interests and hobbies, sometimes it's fun to talk about them!

Not sure what half your post is about mind, the stuff about being professional, being well versed etc. means nothing to me. You work over the other side of the pond to me, so whatever. Or are you trying to instigate a discussion over being dedicated to a single genre, vs ability to wing it in a multitude of genres? Cause I can assure you there are literally tonnes of us on here that can play many genres very well. I'm sensing a lot of one-upmanship in your tone Blue, and I'd advise you to just reconsider such a tone.
[/quote]

Must be a cultural thing. You have misinterpreted every response I've made on this thread.

My tone is fine, again you might want to carefully look at my responses.

Blue

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1459717812' post='3018992']

Fela is THE guy to go to when trying to venture towards African music. His sound is so relatable and easy to understand! For more similar stuff, check out Toumani Diabte, Sidiki Diabte, Ali Farka Toure, Femi Kuti, Seun Kuti, Issa Bagayogo, Orchestra Baobab, Salif Keita (Recently worked with Snarky Puppy on Family Dinner Vol 2) and Youssou N'Dour.
[/quote]

He's in Milwakee this summer, I plan on checking him out.

For those who have misinterpreted my othher responses on this thread. The above means Fela is a musician I'm interested in seeing live.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1459715360' post='3018953']
Blue...love your natural ability...to piss everybody else off....

Do you doing it on purpose or do you not think before you hit the "Enter" key?? Whenever you do this you lower my opinion of you...fortunately there ain't too much further for you to go.

BTW Andrew...thanks for posting this..really enjoyed it - inspirational!!
[/quote]

No, I'm just passionate about certain things and I have been misinterpreted and misunderstood a lot.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1459720169' post='3019018']
He's in Milwakee this summer, I plan on checking him out.

For those who have misinterpreted my othher responses on this thread. The above means Fela is a musician I'm interested in seeing live.

Blue
[/quote]

Fela Kuti is dead. You can see either of his two sons Femi Kuti or Seun Kuti who are still touring.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1459729196' post='3019078']
i don't give a f*** about money. but I'm not a pro like yourself Bgood man Andrew.
[/quote]

I'm not a pro either. Just because a person does this for a living doesn't make you a pro.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1459731099' post='3019088']
Stop bickering, everyone!!

Start posting some good grooves.
[/quote]yep there is no point. Talking of Michael and Snarky. yep its been posted before . micheal's solo bass playing is superb. but Shaun Martin's playing near the end is quite something. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RluNrXjP3zY its Epic Snarky Puppy.

I love the way these types of studio jams are recorded. Every note played and every drum hit is crystal clear. No hiding place. Will need to check out the others too.

Blue. I love reading your posts. But I do get the impression that you enjoy pushing peoples buttons. As you say it might be a cultural thing.... I don't think it is though! 😂

Snarky bass player is a good player, no doubt; but his gurning iritates me.
I've seen the Puppies live a couple of times and both were great gigs; but ML just comes across as an arrogant know-it-all, who's just a bit too pleased with himself.
He's worked hard to get there and I take my hat off to him for that and his playing;.....but please, lose the attitude!

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1459775008' post='3019436']
I've seen the Puppies live a couple of times and both were great gigs; but ML just comes across as an arrogant know-it-all, who's just a bit too pleased with himself.
He's worked hard to get there and I take my hat off to him for that and his playing;.....but please, lose the attitude!
[/quote]
Really? Did you meet him? I've seen them a few times and for me he's a real down to earth guy, had a beer with him post show once and we were chatting like old friends, he's got lots of time for music lovers and musicians! Cory Henry came across as the more aloof guy, still lovely, just certainly has a shortish attention span, or at least did when I met them!

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1459775008' post='3019436']
[/quote]Ive seen them live twice. and he didn't come across like that at all for me. I'm not saying he can't be Bassnut. I saw them at the cheltenham jazz fest and after they all went to a bar across the road and i got talking to him.he even bought me a drink, he came across as very level headed to me. believe me i can recognise some unbalance in a personality when i meet them .. i found Cory Henry, who was the organ player that night quite arrogant. but I was thinking, you just don't know what is going on in these peoples lives. He might of been knackered, pissed. who knows.

Edited by bubinga5

A friends hubby drove them round the UK and Europe on they tour last year and said they were real gents and a joy to be around. He's done a lot of big names and doesn't throw praise around lightly. 8)