Why become a member? ×

What a groove this is.

bubinga5

Michael League, from Snarky Pup, one of my favourite bassist's Jonathan Maron from Groove Collective on the Yamaha,,Bob Lanzetti and the amazing Louis Cato on drums. This is as tight a groove as i want. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivgKU3fnWzY[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

Yeah, it's a groove and it's really cool.

Not hard to do when your ;

1. With very talented musicians
2. Your not completely driven and restricted to only the genre you personally like.

I think many forget how important flexibility is in this business. If your not flexible, I say enjoy that bedroom. Because that's probably going to be where your most comfortable.

Blue

Blue i respect your opinion,.but great jamming/music doesn't revolve around money or business.

music is more pleasurable when you...

1. enjoy music

2. forget its a business

no pressure. just play what you want how you want. some of the best musicians i know play in there bedroom, and believe me these guys are phenomenal musicians. They just choose not to get into "the business". as naive as it may sound i love playing bass in my room, or with other musicians. take it as it comes. to take it to seriously is taking away the enjoyment. and enjoyment is what music is all about for me.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1459643358' post='3018374']
Blue i respect your opinion,.but great jamming/music doesn't revolve around money or business.

music is more pleasurable when you...

1. enjoy music

2. forget its a business

no pressure. just play what you want how you want. some of the best musicians i know play in there bedroom, and believe me these guys are phenomenal musicians. They just choose not to get into "the business". as naive as it may sound i love playing bass in my room, or with other musicians. take it as it comes. to take it to seriously is taking away the enjoyment. and enjoyment is what music is all about for me.
[/quote]

I enjoy every second that I'm performing
I enjoy every second of getting paid

Blue

I also enjoy every second I play and perform, perhaps because I'm fortunate enough to have enough money that it's not a job. I play and perform for my own pleasure and on my own terms. Seems to me that there's an underlying resentment of anyone who plays simply for pleasure by musicians who have to play to earn a living. Perhaps it's their way of justifying their hand-to-mouth existence playing the same old small time gigs after failing to break into the big time like all their musical heroes. But I could be wrong.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1459636611' post='3018343']
Yeah, it's a groove and it's really cool.

Not hard to do when your ;

1. With very talented musicians
2. Your not completely driven and restricted to only the genre you personally like.

I think many forget how important flexibility is in this business. If your not flexible, I say enjoy that bedroom. Because that's probably going to be where your most comfortable.

Blue
[/quote]
Wow. That's unbelievable! These musicians are by no means limited in flexibility. Having that level of ability means you have studied and worked across a LOT of genres to have that many fills, and feels to utilise in this "virtuoso bedroom piece"

Michael League alone plays on more tracks, and genres than you ever will, and have done. The guy is among the busiest in the business.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1459679522' post='3018522']
I also enjoy every second I play and perform, perhaps because I'm fortunate enough to have enough money that it's not a job. I play and perform for my own pleasure and on my own terms. Seems to me that there's an underlying resentment of anyone who plays simply for pleasure by musicians who have to play to earn a living. Perhaps it's their way of justifying their hand-to-mouth existence playing the same old small time gigs after failing to break into the big time like all their musical heroes. But I could be wrong.
[/quote]

Yeah, your wrong.

I don't have to play for a living, I made a choice to play for a living. I also wanted playing to be a job and not a boys night out.

I have always felt the upidy " I have a job, I don't need the money" means, " I could never figure out how make a living from gigging.

Blue

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1459693365' post='3018661']

Wow. That's unbelievable! These musicians are by no means limited in flexibility. Having that level of ability means you have studied and worked across a LOT of genres to have that many fills, and feels to utilise in this "virtuoso bedroom piece"

Michael League alone plays on more tracks, and genres than you ever will, and have done. The guy is among the busiest in the business.
[/quote]

You missed my point. The musicians in the clip are not limited and seem very flexible.

You might want read over my post again.

I was talking about bass players that stay in the bedroom because they refuse to plays anything unless it's what they like. For example the guy that will only play death metal.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1459693365' post='3018661']

[/quote]

No way, he night be the busiest but he hasn't played as much or played as many genres I have played over the last 50 years.

Blue

I don't get what it matters either way? I don't understand why it becomes the issue on a lot of threads?

I have made a living out of gigging, then in 2009 my daughter was born and my priorities shifted.

I wanted to spend time with her instead of being in the back of a crewcab van with a load of blokes playing to a few hundred people most nights and the odd big crowd at a festival.

I stopped in 2011 and reassessed what I wanted, me, just me, not you or someone else, or the band I was in or that the singer was displeased that I wanted to call it quits.

I don't worry about your motives for playing, I certainly wouldn't cast aspersions on your dedication or desire to play the way you do or reasons you do. I don't know how it matters much to you or anyone else why I play for the reasons I do.

And now I still earn money playing, but instead of surviving on it - I spend it on pedals I don't really need, strings, cables, a nice watch - whatever.

I meet my band weekly - not because we need to rehearse every week, but I enjoy having a few beers, a laugh and just to do something for me. We gig about twice a month, and pick and choose where we play and when.

Do I turn down gigs if I'm not being paid loads of money? Do I f***!
Do I turn my nose up at lower paid gigs for mates events? Nope!
Do I worry what Bob and his band charge? Not really.

Do I worry about professional musos who may or may not be versatile? Nope.

I don't worry about other people, if they're happy - who cares.

No offence, but I keep on seeing the same thing and I can't understand what purpose it serves other than to irk people and get a reaction.

Well, I don't buy it.

Some people do it for money.
Some people do it for enjoyment.
Some are chasing a dream.
Some are reliving their youth.
Some are starting out.

And it's nobody else's business, if they're making music instead of scratching their arse watching TV then fair f***s to them.

The guys with the talent in the video are being paid to demonstrate Amplifiers - and what they're playing is cool, if not to everyone's taste.

Now. Danelectro Baritones...aren't they cool.

Edit - And breathe...no real need for a huge rant...I'm off to play death metal, in my bedroom...

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1459698580' post='3018702']
Really like that a lot. Can't stop watching it.

Is it at all similar to Snarky Puppy? And (even if it's not similar) where would one start as an introduction to Snarky Puppy?
[/quote]
Anywhere, I was introduced to them via the song "Thing Of Gold" if I were you I'd look at Family Dinners Vol 1, We Like it Here, and Sylva. Then go from there! Those three albums show a vast variety of what the band are about!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1459701910' post='3018737']

You missed my point. The musicians in the clip are not limited and seem very flexible.

You might want read over my post again.

I was talking about bass players that stay in the bedroom because they refuse to plays anything unless it's what they like. For example the guy that will only play death metal.

Blue
[/quote]
I more took issue with the perceived tone or your post Blue, it was derisory. I'm a bass player that gigs, teaches, records, tours, writes, reads for a living. When I'm not working I play what I love, in my bedroom, on my own. I also hands down refuse to play stuff I'm not good at, or don't like. I can afford to do that, because I'm in charge of what I do. I run my own bands and choose my own musicians. There's no way you'll find me playing straight ahead rock cause it's dead boring for me. Pumping out 8ths is a load of rubbish in my mind, I want to create melodies using rhythm and harmony! I'll do those gigs every now and then, but not more than 1 a month.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1459706845' post='3018806']

I more took issue with the perceived tone or your post Blue, it was derisory. I'm a bass player that gigs, teaches, records, tours, writes, reads for a living. When I'm not working I play what I love, in my bedroom, on my own. I also hands down refuse to play stuff I'm not good at, or don't like. I can afford to do that, because I'm in charge of what I do. I run my own bands and choose my own musicians. There's no way you'll find me playing straight ahead rock cause it's dead boring for me. Pumping out 8ths is a load of rubbish in my mind, I want to create melodies using rhythm and harmony! I'll do those gigs every now and then, but not more than 1 a month.
[/quote]

I happen to be in a band 10 years standing that happens to play a genre I like and I'm. well versed in.

No bands last forever, if I ever find myself on the market I'm not going to restrict by genre or what I don't like. I will restrict by my abilities and professionalism.

Even genres I don't like can be done well and professional. If a band is established and has solid book of continuous business I'll play polka.

Would I join a metal band, no. But only because I am not a match for it and don't have that sort if ability.

Blue

Edited by blue

Stop making this thread about you, we all know you play for a living, how could we not. You tell us in what seems like nearly every post!

OP posts a great vid of some people having fun playing great music and yet again, Blue. Jesus wept! <_<