Why become a member? ×

Bassic-Bits "Rock-Wire" Handmade cables - Basschat's very own 'OBBM'

Dood

[u][b]Instrument and Speaker cables[/b][/u]
[url="http://www.rock-wire.uk.com"]http://www.rock-wire.uk.com[/url]

David Polgaze, also known as our very own 'OBBM' really is no stranger to the pages of BassChat. Indeed I first chatted to Dave back in the days of BassWorld V.1 - The days before internet mutiny and this superb community made it's home at BassChat.co.uk.

I think Dave was making cables back then too - actually, yes, I bought my first 'proper' heavy weight Speakon cables from Dave and they are still going today!

Well, I've got a little review of Dave's latest - and they are as good as ever. First up a 'high flexibility' Instrument cable and then a suitably chunky Speakon to Speakon short cable, just the right length for amp to cabinet hook up.

Rock-Wire is hand made, which also means that it can be to your custom specifications too. Using top notch Klotz, Sommer and Vandamme cable, Neutrik Pro, Hicon or Rean connectors. Indeed, I recall a BassChatter requiring a one-off signal / effects / power cable snake back and forth from his effects board and amplifier backline. It was an impressive beast of a cable with several signal paths catered for in one flexible sheath!

I suppose to get an idea of what Bassic-Bits are capable of, then a look at the website address above.

[u][b]Features[/b][/u][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] (10/10)[/font][/color]

High quality connectors and cables: I can't really add more to that. The soldering work on the cables I have here is professional and tidy, exactly as you'd expect.

Rock-Wire also manufacture cables with those more unusual connectors for wireless systems, effects patch cables and power supply cables too.

[u][b]Sound Quality[/b][/u][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] (10/10)[/font][/color]

I have no reason to doubt the sonic integrity of these cables. No noise when you shake the instrument cable under high gain situations and the connectors feel solid attached to my guitars.

Looking at the Speaker cable specifically - it's a 4mm2 conductor type. It is a BIG FAT CABLE capable of transferring lots of current with minimal resistance. You can also tie up your ogre-sized drummer with this stuff too if they won't stop practicing between songs :) :) :)

[b][u]Value For Money[/u][/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] (10/10)[/font][/color]

Sure, you can buy really cheap cables off eBay - and you may think they will do, but trust me on this. They will break and always at the wrong time. Cheap connectors appear to be made from cheap tin (ha) and always seem to bend out of shape inside, or the cable conductors strands are weak and will just fray away. The brands mentioned above I believe have a huge reputation for quality. [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828] Throw in to the mix the completely customisable aspect, local manufacture, support from the technician himself, then it's a no brainer.[/color][/font]

[u][b]Customer Support[/b][/u][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] (10/10)[/font][/color]

Dave is an active member of BassChat. When I have needed to chat with him, I've always had a fast reply.

[b][u]Overall Rating[/u][/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] (9/10)[/font][/color]

In the interests of offering a balanced view of these cables, there's just one thing I can think of that will score these cables down, but it's barely worth the mention as it is obvious. You will need to [i]order[/i] these cables and in the case of something specific you may be subject to a lead time whilst they are made. You could of course pop in to any shop and find high quality 'off the shelf' cables same day, same visit. If you are on tour in Europe then you're unlikely to find a local Rock-Wire distributor for example, but if you are taking a huge touring rig with you then that's a different set of needs anyway.

If smaller (high quality) orders, one-offs, unusual requests and 'buying local' is what you are looking for, then I reckon OBBM is your man :)

Edited by dood
  • Like 1

Great review Dan and I can only second everything you've said. I've been buying my leads and cables from Dave for years - given the quality of materials and components, skill and experience in assembly, superlative value and the kind of customer service others can only aspire to, why would I (or anyone else) do otherwise? I've NEVER had ONE single problem with ANY of Dave's products. It's a ten from me too, no question. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='floFC' timestamp='1459635216' post='3018327']
The link at the top takes me to a different web site (acmebass.com) you may want to check your hyperlink.
Thanks for posting this review.
[/quote]

Thank you!!!

I actually borrowed the titles from another review! I forgot to check the hyperlink! ooops! I have edited and the address works correctly when you click on it now!

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1497817858' post='3320720']
Best cables I've ever bought, period.
[/quote]

Agreed. What I also like about Dave's cables is that they buck the modern trend for built-in obsolescence or the intention to be superseded by later, 'better' models, and literally last a lifetime of trouble-free, top class performance.

I'm going to order one of Dave's awesome IEM cables soon as I like to have my IEMs hardwired but would rather not have more than one cable coming from my instrument. A perfect solution.

Oh and I WILL get the pictures above back up again!

[quote name='Bass Culture' timestamp='1497958050' post='3321585']

Agreed. What I also like about Dave's cables is that they buck the modern trend for built-in obsolescence or the intention to be superseded by later, 'better' models, and literally last a lifetime of trouble-free, top class performance.
[/quote]
Exactly. The sort of kit you'd expect to be labelled 'military grade'.

• 10 months later...