Why become a member? ×

Aguilar Jazz Bass Pickups

JTUK

I would go for the AG4j60 or the AG4j70, The 60 has a nice scooped mid, but nice high's. The 70 has more high mids . I prefer the AG4j60, its a smoother tone to my ears. but I'm torn as i love that 70's punch. Prefer single coils also to be honest as i don't record much.. so the HC's are not for me. The 4j Hot are not to my taste at all.

I was thinking about a 5 string set for my Jazz bass. I was also thinking of putting in a OBP3 pre but i might wait and see what its like passive. I do really dig the Aguilar sound. Next I'm going to get an Aguilar T shirt with matching pants and socks. :D

By the way Jonathan Maron is a MONSTER bass player. His playing with Groove Collective is quite amazing. Great vid thanks JT.

Edited by bubinga5

B)

I thought the 70's shaded it but could live with 60's...or the HC at a push... for all non plectrum styles
Didn't get the hot's at all...thought they strangled the tone.

I was thinking of these for an American j5... but will continue to work the N3's.
The active pre was weak at first, I thought, but it can be pretty subtle and surpringly versatile.
The reason I researched these was that Aguilar pre amps and/or pick-ups were in my thinking.

I might look at them for another bass though.. good demo. Edited by JTUK

I know what you mean about those N3's but I'm enjoying the typical Fender pan options.
Not sure of the non passive option atm... and there are still one or two harsh/brash options
that you need to dial out of the Am Delux pallet but I've not even touched the amp EQ so
it is a work in progress.
Entirely useable but not nailed it for the sounds I've got in mind.

I put the 70s in my Squier Jazz.

I was originally going to to go for the Nordstrand equivalent, but Bass Direct were out of stock & I couldn't find another European dealer who stocked 70s Nordstrands.

Anyway after some research I settled on the 4J70s and I've been absolutely delighted with the results, just the right amount of growl & aggression & absolutely perfect for the funk/soul I mostly play these days.Also ( whisper it) a very superior slap tone. Got a good deal on them from Bax as well (though I think they may have been old stock - the ones I have seen advertised recently have 'Aguilar' branded covers, whereas mine are plain).

As to the comparison video - one of the best I've seen, though it must have taken hours & hours to film.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1459545024' post='3017654']
Another one for you B5..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2hVC7pkBqI&ebc=ANyPxKpSzJEhWZhAC92Mg1DEV6ZeaSKJQbFDL3C4HV4n0p_dTzAiDvVvMGHT-uSa2L39P91Dttzjzo12rqRj-htQ_yC6S18IWg[/media]
[/quote]I do wonder though if the HC's sound that good, why would they offer up the single coil version? Thanks for the vid JT. Im selling the Delano J5 pickups and the Delano Sonar preamp. Now I'm waiting for my post to be deleted. :lol:

Sure, you can only go on this snapshot and context.

I think I'd be able to use the 60, 70's and HC ... and I prorbaly put them with
an Ag pre.
Something subtle as the character in the pickups seems there... you just need to
use the Pre to enhance or slight boost and not swamp it.

I would also like a passive option too.

I actually like the tone of the HC best in the video. Which makes me happy, as I was thinking about getting something noiseless for my Fender Marcus, but was a bit concerned about the sound (which I'm 100% happy with at the moment, just tired of the hum).

Yep, the 70's slap for me.... even though I really wanted the 60's to win the vote..:lol:
The 60;s shade fingerstyle, but we are talking fine margins and also varibles from a bass
we aren't using ourselves.
That is why I say I could live with all 3 as the inherrent character is there... and you could probably compensate
EQ wise that minute amount.

As i say..can't hear the Hot at all.

I prefer thinner as a starting point as you can add to that... you can't add tone to a thick sound, IMO...

I've got the AG4J hot set on my fender USA jazz and I've got to say the sound incredible.

It was fitted with them when I bought it from Bass Direct, and for me it was the best sounding bass in the shop, having tried out a shed load of them that day.

The bass itself is pretty loud and chimey unplugged but the pickups make it sound great plugged in - as a P bass devotee it's made for a really fat jazz sound, with all the J bass definition and clarity but a good slab of P bass punch.

I had the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]AG4j70s in my 75 Jazz. On their own I thought they sounded great - really tight bass and growly highs,[/font][/color] but found I was getting lost and having to boost some midrange in any band that had more than one guitar...They have quite a scooped sound, and a bit lacking in the low mids I reckon.

Tried Nordstrand 70s winds, but I've settled on Bare Knuckle PE Jazz for the minute. Great sounding pickups!

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1459768717' post='3019314']
I had the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]AG4j70s in my 75 Jazz. On their own I thought they sounded great - really tight bass and growly highs,[/font][/color] but found I was getting lost and having to boost some midrange in any band that had more than one guitar...They have quite a scooped sound, and a bit lacking in the low mids I reckon.

Tried Nordstrand 70s winds, but I've settled on Bare Knuckle PE Jazz for the minute. Great sounding pickups!
[/quote]

Incidently, what gtrs did the two play..?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1459963247' post='3021350']
The tele would be a good balance but a LP and and SG is a tough wall of sound to get thru, generally. IME
unless the gtrs are really disciplined.
[/quote]

Hmmm, the SG player plays with amp overdrive and not full-on distortion, so I wouldn't have thought it should cause an issue...

There's an inherent "scoop" to the Aguilar 70s though, without doubt. I recorded them straight into logic, and compared with recordings of the stock '75s, Nordstrand and BKs, and it's clear as day.

Not saying they sound bad though, quite the contrary! Just an aspect of their character to factor in...

Edited by bakerster135