Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Blazer Japan

I posted a problem with my pickups being out of phase when i installed a creamery jazz bass pickup on my ibanez, took your advice and swapped the connections, now works a treat!.

Having gigged with it i have decided that the stock split p pickup is not a patch on the Jazz pickup i have installed. Is it worth spending the money on a better pickup say a Fender original or Seymour Duncan?.

Not sure whether it will give me that genuine P bass tone, the bass is of decent mid range quality, i presume its a combination of pickup,woods and build.

Is there anybody that can advise me.

I have Blazers and RB650, which is what I think you have - P and a J.

I have always find both types of Ibanex pick-ups very powerful and defined,
my current rehearsal favourite in an RB650 - but well balanced against each other.

If you like the Creamery Jazz, why not get a Creamery P?

I don't think a Fender would bring anything to the party.

If it's in good nick and is an Ibanez P type pick up (adjustable poles) I'll take it off yer 'ands!! ;)

Cheers. :)

In my opinion that super P4 is one of the best sounding P pickups Ever created.Its a real growler!
I am currently looking for another super P4 to replace my stock fender [color=#333333]Vintage-Style Alnico Split Single-Coil Precision [/color]pickup in my MIM P Bass special Deluxe series. (could do swaps?)

Edited by Zombie1965

[quote name='garry warrington' timestamp='1459593031' post='3017883']
seems to sound a bit better when blended with the jazz pickup, is it possible the bass has de valued by routing and adding a jazz pickup, i also put cts pots and a pio cap.
[/quote]

popularity comes in waves with these but, Yes. These basses are quite sort after in original condition.

I have payed £490 for an original blazer in good condition and £160 for another one in good condition but with a few mods.

Was there something wrong with the Alpha pots that come as standard? they are probably as good if not better than modern CTS pots
Was something wrong with the cap?

did you keep the old wiring etc?

Edited by Zombie1965

I purchased of Ebay, somebody had done a bad job of installing a Jazz pickup. I decided to change the jazz pickup and pots while i was at it.
The P pickup has adjustable poles, still cant nail a "forget me nots" tone though.
Have seen a 63 fender pickup on sale, not sure whether it will give me an improvement.

[quote name='garry warrington' timestamp='1459604845' post='3018023']
I purchased of Ebay, somebody had done a bad job of installing a Jazz pickup. I decided to change the jazz pickup and pots while i was at it.
The P pickup has adjustable poles, still cant nail a "forget me nots" tone though.
Have seen a 63 fender pickup on sale, not sure whether it will give me an improvement.
[/quote]

Ah I see, your trying to bring this blazer back from the dead.
63' should be warm and round sounding with a medium output, The super P4 blazer pup (same as [url="http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/bass/standard-bass/dimarzio-model-p"]DiMarzio Model [/url]P)
is high output with strong mids a growly sound.

"Forget me nots" is Freddie Washington I think that sound is deep into jazz bass territory imo. Turn off the p pickup altogether.

Edited by Zombie1965