Why become a member? ×

It's new cab time. Needs to be light!

jeigenbass

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1459783681' post='3019585']
That TB thread was pretty interesting reading...
[/quote]

Wasn't it just :o

I'm just a dim plank spanker, but I gigged a BF Supertwelve for 18 months.
Sold it cos it "farted out" (despite eq shenanigans) in A COUPLE of venues.
Over the 18 months since I sold it, I've tried Bergs, MB, TKS, Vanderkley and probably a couple of others.
Back to a (used) BF S12V which so far has shown no signs of anything but great, clear and loud performance. Daft loud with the TTE.

Don't think I'm a fanboi, and regardless of this is better spec bunfight, this combination is a great compromise for ME :)

Very interesting TB thread but I do wonder if we all skew the arguments based on our bias before going into it.

I still highly rate the BF 12" driver and the Super Compact in particular. Having sold both of mine last year when I needed money I've pined for one ever since. I'm hoping to be in a position to acquire one again within the next 9 months or so but right now other things matter more than the bass cab I'm using on a handful of gigs.

Of course there are other cabs out there which will do a very similar job (TKS springs to mind, as do Baer) but I loved the SC and have no reason to go anywhere else. Call me a fanboi if you like but I like supporting a British business which I've seen (and I'd like to think helped with a number of purchases!) grow from nothing :)

One thing I have noticed is that most of the fans of these cabs never keep ANY gear long including amps, I've had one brand of amp for a decade, one for 8 years before that and about the same from my first gig 8 years before than I suppose, I've had one quality 2x12 for 10 years and it still sounds great and if anything im looking to reduce stage volume rather than get loads more from a tiny light box.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1459783681' post='3019585']
That TB thread was pretty interesting reading...
[/quote]

There's so much frustration among manufacturers due to the Commercial User policy over there. Even guys like Duke, who is one of the nicest people I have ever sat down to dinner with, ends up projecting that frustration eventually. I think Alex has been quite well measured in his responses, but nobody really wins in those situations.

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1459792326' post='3019698']
One thing I have noticed is that most of the fans of these cabs never keep ANY gear long including amps, I've had one brand of amp for a decade, one for 8 years before that and about the same from my first gig 8 years before than I suppose, I've had one quality 2x12 for 10 years and it still sounds great and if anything im looking to reduce stage volume rather than get loads more from a tiny light box.
[/quote]

Think you`re right there, I`m one of them and have had soooo many basses/amps/cabs (inc Barefaced) over the years - since joining Basschat I might add. Up until then I was pretty much the same, one bass/amp/cab and happy with them. Since joining Basschat I`ve essentially seen buying/selling gear as part of the hobby of playing bass, as I`ve been able to research so much great gear.

I`m pretty much sorted now, my gear is exactly right for what I`m doing at present, though have to say if I were doing gigs where I wasn`t always going through FOH I`d probably have one of the Barefaced Retro 610s as my gigging cab.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1459793054' post='3019710']
Think you`re right there, I`m one of them and have had soooo many basses/amps/cabs (inc Barefaced) over the years - [b]since joining Basschat I might add. Up until then I was pretty much the same, one bass/amp/cab and happy with them[/b]. Since joining Basschat I`ve essentially seen buying/selling gear as part of the hobby of playing bass, as I`ve been able to research so much great gear.[/quote]

Ha! Yeah same here.

Funny enough I ordered a Big Twin last night, looking forward to seeing what these are like.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1459781390' post='3019535']
You may not be looking for an argument, ern500, but there are plenty of others ready to pounce on anyone who says they are not keen. As we have already seen on this thread. There are plenty of things I like about Barefaced, and Alex comes across as a really nice and very capable guy. What I'm not so keen on, however, is the hype.

There is also a small but very vocal faction on this forum who like to heap unquestioning praise on the Barefaced product (very often quoting from the web site) yet are unable to accept the slightest criticism without becoming extremely aggressive. Look at Discreet's aggressive post further up the page, or on page 2, where Paul S. accuses JT of undertaking a *jihad* on Barefaced. I'm not keen on that either, as I don't think it's in the spirit of Basschat.
[/quote]

I happen to think Stevie speaks a great deal on sense on cabs... so he knows a lot more than some people credit him for
I strongly suspect he knows enough to pick up any off axis claims :lol:

Talking of which there are plenty of stories ...but since they are a) heresay... ( been repeated from a few other sources, mind you...)
and B) the person who told me (very trusted) asked me not to repeat so I don't mention them here.

My initial point was to balance a posters impression that the cab was the crowd favourite... and that that poster could/should use the search facility for alternative views. That is what I'd be doing as I would want to know of any potential views that were less than glossy.
Why wouldn't you? oh well..!!!

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1459710529' post='3018865']
Yes, here we go again. I was hoping to actually pin down some facts here but we still have smoke screen and slight of hand :)

JT - I have no trouble understanding plain English. If you read through your post you didn't say 'guys I know' which presumably limits it to that rarified bubble you seem to inhabit, but 'I know of' which is something different. I would say 'I know of' if I had read it on here. But I guess all the satisfied Barefaced cab owners on Basschat don't fit your model, so you ignore them.

My bottom line is that I still don't know why you have this jihad against Barefaced. You are not contractually obliged to keep it up, you know. Just accept that some people like them.
[/quote]

Guys I know of are guys I know and can 'verify'...not randoms that I don't.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1459781390' post='3019535']
Look at Discreet's aggressive post further up the page, or on page 2, where Paul S. accuses JT of undertaking a *jihad* on Barefaced. I'm not keen on that either, as I don't think it's in the spirit of Basschat.
[/quote]

That's funny, I must be among the least aggressive posters on this forum. But if someone tries a BF cab and for whatever reason doesn't like it that's fair enough of course - what annoys me is when they are arbitrarily slighted for no good reason by people who I strongly suspect have never actually used a BF cab in anger. I'm not keen on that - I don't think it's in the spirit of BassChat. But when I ask the direct question, 'Have you ever actually used a Barefaced cab?' it all goes quiet. I really think one needs to have played through a BF cab at least once in a real-world situation before criticising them.

I know little about cab or driver construction - I freely admit I'm not a qualified speaker guy - but I've been playing bass for a long time and know when I hear something I like - and obviously I like the sound of BF cabs. So I'm going to come on here and say so. Yes, I do get enthusiastic about products I like. If that annoys anyone or is not considered to be in the spirit of BassChat, then that's too bad. I'm entitled to review gear on this forum and I'm entitled to my opinions - just as everyone else is entitled to ignore them.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1459796908' post='3019796']
JTUK... do you not like the tone of the Barefaced cabs you've played?

Frank.
[/quote]

No, but to be fair, I didn't like the look of the cab from the off so 5 mins or less was enough.
Not a fan of 15's anyway... so this was never going to be a winner.

I've played 2..one was a compact thing...and the other I'm not sure.

I didn't like the other players thru them either... but I can't say their usual tone is my thing
at all...hence my TE story above.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459796421' post='3019787']
That's funny, I must be among the least aggressive posters on this forum. But if someone tries a BF cab and for whatever reason doesn't like it that's fair enough of course - what annoys me is when they are arbitrarily slighted for no good reason by people who I strongly suspect have never actually used a BF cab in anger. I'm not keen on that - I don't think it's in the spirit of BassChat. But when I ask the direct question, 'Have you ever actually used a Barefaced cab?' it all goes quiet. I really think one needs to have played through a BF cab at least once in a real-world situation before criticising them.
[/quote]

Actually, Mr Discreet (sorry to be so formal), you come across as a really nice bloke (usually) but you're making a lot of assumptions. I comment on the content of a link that a fellow Basschatter posted and I get: "Have you ever tried a Barefaced cab? Have you done a gig with one? Are YOU a qualified 'speaker guy'?" What's that all about?

Not to mention the classic "when did you stop beating your wife" question: "Why do you single out this company for criticism over any other cab manufacturer?" What? :)

[quote name='Passinwind' timestamp='1459792495' post='3019701']
There's so much frustration among manufacturers due to the Commercial User policy over there. Even guys like Duke, who is one of the nicest people I have ever sat down to dinner with, ends up projecting that frustration eventually. I think Alex has been quite well measured in his responses, but nobody really wins in those situations.
[/quote]

The Commercial User policy looks eminently sensible to me, as it's designed to prevent commercial users spamming the forum. What seems to have happened is that it's not being applied fairly. Pity, and some of the good guys seem to be suffering.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1459793054' post='3019710']
Think you`re right there, I`m one of them and have had soooo many basses/amps/cabs (inc Barefaced) over the years - since joining Basschat I might add. Up until then I was pretty much the same, one bass/amp/cab and happy with them. Since joining Basschat I`ve essentially seen buying/selling gear as part of the hobby of playing bass, as I`ve been able to research so much great gear.

I`m pretty much sorted now, my gear is exactly right for what I`m doing at present, though have to say if I were doing gigs where I wasn`t always going through FOH I`d probably have one of the Barefaced Retro 610s as my gigging cab.
[/quote]

Me three :rolleyes:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1459797544' post='3019807']

No, but to be fair, I didn't like the look of the cab from the off so 5 mins or less was enough.
Not a fan of 15's anyway... so this was never going to be a winner.

I've played 2..one was a compact thing...and the other I'm not sure.

I didn't like the other players thru them either... but I can't say their usual tone is my thing
at all...hence my TE story above.
[/quote]

So your own personal experience of them is from the older generation stuff, not the Gen 3 gear which IMO is a significant step up? (Asking for clarity not an argument - it appears that way from your statement but I may be reading incorrectly!)

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1459799958' post='3019843']
I dont need to test drive a car or be a car designer to know if it's not what I'm after, I dont see why bass cabs should be any different?
[/quote]
Very true, but I'm guessing that aesthetics would play a fairly large part in choosing a car, rightly so as there's such a vast amount of styles and designs available. If the tech specs/sound/voicing of a particular brand of cabs aren't what people want then I totally get that, my only (genuine) question is, what do people find so displeasing about the looks that makes them rule out trying one?

Well I'm glad this topic has sparked such interest, it is indeed a great time to be a bass player!

*Update*
Had a gig in Brighton tonight so I stopped by the BF factory to try out some cabs. First thing I'll say is that the guys at BF are super nice and passionate about what they do, which is always a plus. Following recommendations, I tried my Markbass Momark 500 through a Supertwin and the Two 10. Both great cabs all around - lightweight, powerful and wonderful tone . My only reservation is that I have been playing a 2x10 with an adjustable tweeter for the past 4 years so naturally I was missing a bit of sparkle. The 2x10 was slightly more appealing as it goes up to a higher freq range than the Supertwin. It might just be something I need to get used to so I'm going to spend more time checking out the full range

Fair enough JTUK. If you don't like the Barefaced look, then that's obviously very important to you.

The tone of the 12" cabs is too clean and revealing for some players. I can totally understand that.

(I can't use the quote thingy for some reason?)

Frank.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1459795076' post='3019752']
Guys I know of are guys I know and can 'verify'...not randoms that I don't.
[/quote]

I don't think anyone has a problem with someone coming on here and saying "I used a BF cab and didnt like it" (which people have done on a few occasions).

OTOH someone coming on here and saying "I've a got a make who didn't like it" - well ... means nothing TBH and add nothing to the discussion.

And this thing about providing balance in discussions is also bollocks - anyone reading any discussion of bases on here would come away with the impression that a P bass is the be all and end all of bases - do you find me diving into these discussions with "I've got a mate who thinks P basses are rubbish" - no because I personally have never used one and therefore have nothing to contribute to the discussions.

If people have first hand experiences of BF, good or bad they they should bring it, otherwise please find something more constructive to do than derailing perfectly sensible threads.

Edited by bassman7755

Posted Today, 11:31 PM

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=3018831"][/url]JTUK, on 03 April 2016 - 07:31 PM, said:

5... 3 have sold them and 2 are still gigging them this year.

Bobthedog posted: I have just ordered a Big Twin, I guess that sort of balances things. :-)

I've been using Barefaced cabs continually since 2009. I guess that balances it a little more. :)

I wouldn't touch Aguilar or TKS cabs though - they look awful. <_< :D

Frank.