Why become a member? ×

It's new cab time. Needs to be light!

jeigenbass

Excuse me if there's already a thread about light cabs here somewhere - feel free to redirect me!

So touring with an older Trace 210 + Trace 15 has taken it's toll on my back and I need to lighten up.
I need a light but powerful 210 for smaller gigs and something big to throw under it for the bigger stuff. I use a Markbass Momark 500 head (500@4 / 300@8) and IEM's on stage so mega tons of power for the combined rig is not necessarily essential. Mainly tone,portability and reasonably priced. TBH i really got the extra 1x15 Trace at the time for it to look more impressive on bigger stages. Considering going for a 2x10 + 4x10 option this time.

I've had my eye on Aguilar and Barefaced stuff recently. The new 4x10 Aguilar meets all needs but is quite the wallet breaker, and I'm yet to test the Barefaced stuff.
However I did walk into PMT a few days ago and sat down by the Fender Rumble 4x10 v3 cab and was quite pleasantly surprised with the power and tone for such a good price. Has anyone tried these? If I can pick up a 4x10 and a 2x10 for half the price of the Aguilar 4x10 that's me sorted, but I'm a bit put off by the entry level Rumble stigma. Any opinions?

I like the look of the Rumbles, not heard anything bad about them. If they did a pedal preamp/DI in the range I would probably have a full Rumble set-up, being Fender nuts. Barefaced are good, and you can get a good two cab Barefaced set-up for less than the Aggie 410. Contacting Alex with your query may be worthwhile, he'll be able to discuss sound/tone etc and recommend which of his cabs will be suitable.

I used to have the 1x15 and 4x10 setup when I was happy to lug stuff like that around. I now have a lightweight 2x12 4ohm cab which is a single hand lift and handles anything I can throw at it. Wouldn't swap it for anything.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1459520376' post='3017378']
I used to have the 1x15 and 4x10 setup when I was happy to lug stuff like that around. I now have a lightweight 2x12 4ohm cab which is a single hand lift and handles anything I can throw at it. Wouldn't swap it for anything.
[/quote]

Thanks for the replies.
Do you mind me asking what model the 2x12 is? I know Barefaced do one.

Edited by jeigenbass

Whatever volume your Trace cabs were putting out will easily be bettered by a Barefaced Super Twin and the Big Twin 2 will blow them out of the water. The Super Twin is only a bit larger than a 210 so could also cover any smaller gigs.

The only issue is. . . will you like the sound of any new cab you buy.

With BF cabs your tone will be clearer, deeper and fuller. You'll easily cut through the mix. I don't know of any one who hasn't impressed the band when they've switched to BF cabs. Your safety net is that you get to return the cab within a month if you're not happy.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='jeigenbass' timestamp='1459521325' post='3017387']
Thanks for the replies.
Do you mind me asking what model the 2x12 is? I know Barefaced do one.
[/quote]

My cab is an older TechSoundsystems 2x12. They later became Tecamp. There are other quality products available from companies like TKS, Bergantino, Vanderklay, Baer to name a few. Barefaced have an excellent rep too. You could also go for the 2x single 12" cabs at 8ohms each which would give full power from your amp. This set up is versatile and can cover pretty much any situation. I also have a Tecamp 1x12 cab which is great at home or for small gigs. There are plenty of very good products in the For Sale section. Hope this helps.

[quote name='jeigenbass' timestamp='1459512036' post='3017273']

However I did walk into PMT a few days ago and sat down by the Fender Rumble 4x10 v3 cab and was quite pleasantly surprised with the power and tone for such a good price. Has anyone tried these? If I can pick up a 4x10 and a 2x10 for half the price of the Aguilar 4x10 that's me sorted, but I'm a bit put off by the entry level Rumble stigma. Any opinions?
[/quote]

Not the 410, but I've been using two 112s for a year now (not been that busy but done a fair number of pub gigs and a couple of jam nights) and been really happy with them. Would love to a/b them with some more expensive cabs one day, just to see how noticeable any difference is, but to my ears there is nothing entry level about them except for the price :)

If weight is a criterion, it doesn't make much sense to go for a cab with four drivers because it means you're carting around four magnets. This is one of the reasons why a lot of players have moved from 4 x 10" to 2 x 12".

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='jeigenbass' timestamp='1459512036' post='3017273']
Excuse me if there's already a thread about light cabs here somewhere - feel free to redirect me!

So touring with an older Trace 210 + Trace 15 has taken it's toll on my back and I need to lighten up.
I need a light but powerful 210 for smaller gigs and something big to throw under it for the bigger stuff. I use a Markbass Momark 500 head (500@4 / 300@8) and IEM's on stage so mega tons of power for the combined rig is not necessarily essential. Mainly tone,portability and reasonably priced. TBH i really got the extra 1x15 Trace at the time for it to look more impressive on bigger stages. Considering going for a 2x10 + 4x10 option this time.
[/quote]

You need to bear in mind that your old trace cabs are basically sh*te compared to most modern cabs and reset your perception of how much speaker real estate you really need appropriately. A 2x10/12 (and in some cases even a 1x12) from any of the top tier basschat darlings such as vanderkeley bergantino epifani tks markbass barefaced etc will eat your trace speakers for breakfast, same applies even to a lot of decent mid range and even some commodity stuff although youl probably end up with something heavier.

You should be clear in your own mind whether you are looking for ultimately looking for pure utility vs image/looks because I contend that almost noone needs more than a decent 2x10/12 is capable of armed with a decently powerful modern amp ,those that say they do are IME simple arn't aware of what their cabs are really capable of or are doing it for vanity (which is fine - I go in for a bit of vanity myself).

Edited by bassman7755

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1459598102' post='3017940']
Wow..that's some big talk there ! I certainly wouldn't call old Trace cabs sh*te but that's just my experience.
[/quote]

OK a bit emotive but while they do the job technology has moved on several generations to the point where they arn't a useful yardstick by which to judge your speakerage needs in this day and age. That was the point I was really what I was trying to impress on the OP.

One man's sh*te is another man's character. Not literally, of course.

A "problem" with the more hifi speakers is that they do not add character. This caught me out when trying a new 12". A bit underwhelming at home but it sang out on my first gig when I could turn it up a bit. If you like more character the Barefaced 10" range adds it. I only mention BF because it is what I have.

There are many great options out there, not just BF I hasten to add. It is a small but competitive market and that has been to our benefit as the speaker manufacturers have continued to improve the drive units.

Edited by DBerriff

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='DBerriff' timestamp='1459601063' post='3017975']
One man's sh*te is another man's character. Not literally, of course.
[/quote]

I wasn't referring to tone or sound quality, just raw capability to "move air" for want of a better term. By this measure I stand by my statement that old TS cabs are "sh*te" compared to decent modern cabs.

I've two cab sets I use.

A pair of Markbass Traveller cabs: 121H & 151P
Barefaced SuperTwin (2x12)

I run both sets of a markbass Big Bang head with most of the tone from modelling (Avid eleven Rack and more recently a Line 6 HD500X that's being replaced with their Helix this week).

The Markbass kit gave a lot of flexibility but the BF blows it out of the water for clarity and if only a little heavier than the MB121H! I only gig the BF cab now and the MB kit lives at the practice rooms.

I used to have a pair of Ampeg Portiflex cabs - 1x15 and 2x10 and they seemed massively inferior to both MB & BF.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1459603847' post='3018015']

I wasn't referring to tone or sound quality, just raw capability to "move air" for want of a better term. By this measure I stand by my statement that old TS cabs are "sh*te" compared to decent modern cabs.
[/quote]
I can agree with that. In fact I have played through TE gear and found it to be true.

[quote name='DBerriff' timestamp='1459610786' post='3018085']
I can agree with that. In fact I have played through TE gear and found it to be true.
[/quote]

At my last gig I used the bassist's rig of the band on after us. It was a Trace Elliot just like mine but going through two TE 4x10 cabs. Monster rig, in terms of size and weight. It has been a while since I lifted my arm to head height to adjust the amp settings :) But my 2 barefaced Supercompacts would have blown it away in terms of clarity and range of tones. Actually just one might have!

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1459633280' post='3018304']
Super twins are very loud. You'd be wasting your money on the rumble 410.
[/quote]
+1000

I used 2 SC's tonight in a very, very loud band and they didn't break a sweat.

If you want something louder get a Big Twin 2. A Rumble cab is way out of its depth in this company.