Why become a member? ×

April Composition Challenge - GET WRITING!

Skol303

Right... mine is now underway. Starting with the drums and taking a very convoluted route to creating a 'convincing' 1990s grunge drum track (trying to make it sound noisy and 'low fi' without sounding too crappy, which is proving to be a challenge in itself).

I've written the MIDI file by transcribing and then playing around with the drum pattern from a certain famous Nirvana track :) [i]<that's a Nirvana smiley.[/i] Dave Grohl really was a solid drummer back then! Simple but very effective. I'm now trying to make it sound authentic by layering together lots of different sounds for each element of the drum kit, mixing samples of 'real' kits with synthetic sounds created using Reason's Kong Drum Designer.

It's become one of those stupidly obsessive projects, whereby the outcome won't in any way justify the effort involved! But I'll end up with a nice 'grunge kit' that I can use again in future should I wish.

So it's going to be that plus an overdriven bass, distorted guitar and shouty vocal from me this month. I suggest stocking up on Diazepam in readiness.

Edited by Skol303

So far I've done slappy funk complete with 70s phased drums, wah-ed guitar and a Fender Rhodes...
And there's a verse and a half of lyrics, with a provisional title. Haven't decided whether to stick with the Northern Poet, or do some Sad Dad Rapping. "Singing" is probably not a viable option!

i am honestly a little torn this month. i have one pretty much ready, which is a bit more balanced than my usual stuff and a little bit more lively. then i was messing about and came up with a nicer tune. a bit more of a "sad songs about dogs dying" vein but i do rather like it. so i have decided to wait for a bit and see which one develops best.

[quote name='christofloffer' timestamp='1460046395' post='3022087']
i "sad songs about dogs dying"
[/quote]

Here's another Jono pic for your inspiration... He was 18 when he died, so he did quite well - he was still coming mountain biking with me (on his own downhill rig) until 2 weeks before he snuffed it, so he can't whinge (literally!).

Edited by Leonard Smalls

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1460037355' post='3021966']
So far I've done slappy funk complete with 70s phased drums, wah-ed guitar and a Fender Rhodes...
[/quote]

We really must stop linking minds in this fashion; it's becoming quite worrying, bordering on the obscene. :unsure:

I'm afraid that it's too late for the video, too, as I've 'doctored' it somewhat to incorporate pictorial memories of Jono. Not ideal, technically, on my modest equipment, but I think the general gist is there. Jono is represented by the trombone and vibraphone; I hope it's a good match..?

Edited by Dad3353

[url="https://soundcloud.com/rikki-boyes/falling"]https://soundcloud.c...i-boyes/falling[/url]

Well here's my entry - it's kind of up tempo rock song. It was originally quite punk rocky (which is the sound I was getting from the video) but my limited vocals kind of pulled it away from what I was shooting for.

I quite enjoyed using a plectrum, I don't use them very often - I should do it more often!

Obligatory apologies for the vocals and lyrics (they are really not my strength) - I very nearly entered it as an instrumental but I thought it sounded a little empty.

Edited by Rikki1984

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1460024400' post='3021841']
Right... mine is now underway. Starting with the drums and taking a very convoluted route to creating a 'convincing' 1990s grunge drum track (trying to make it sound noisy and 'low fi' without sounding too crappy, which is proving to be a challenge in itself.
[/quote]
Logics drummer is full of kits exactly how you describe above. It such an excellent addition to Logics Arsenal. I'm sure you will work something out but it sounds like a lot of work.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1460054491' post='3022213']
. Jono is represented by the trombone and vibraphone; I hope it's a good match..?
[/quote]
He wouldn't have cared either way - he always seemed to enjoy loud AC/DC.
But he's barely in my song, apart from a passing allusion to an "air dog".
But Machiavelli and Jean - Claudia Killy both get a mention!

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1460096938' post='3022461']
Logics drummer is full of kits exactly how you describe above. It such an excellent addition to Logics Arsenal. I'm sure you will work something out but it sounds like a lot of work.
[/quote]

Oh aye, Reason also has a whole bunch of 'live' kits that can be loaded up with a few clicks and then tweaked around with. But... sometimes I just like creating my own patches from scratch (I often do the same with synths). I'm a bit weird like that :D

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1460102366' post='3022519']
So, if you use the Video, does the entry need to be
loaded up onto YouTube/Vimeo for the voting? or just the Audio cue up on Soundcloud?
[/quote]

Either! YouTube/Vimeo or SoundCloud links are all fine for the finished product. Whichever you prefer :)

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkHAAczAl8A&feature=youtu.be"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkHAAczAl8A&feature=youtu.be[/url]

My entry for this month...went for the snowboard theme....80's influenced and fast paced.... a possible rejected track from The Breakfast Club!

Cheers,
James
:)

There appears to be a theme emerging with the genres being used , this is worrying me a touch as I was thinking along the same lines and it might leave my efforts a touch 'exposed'.
Still , I have a couple of days to warm my voice up while HID is away , be afraid , very afraid :)

Oh and something I've been learning about and using a bit on this track is the really cool automation in Reaper. I knew about track volume automation but I've been using it to turn on and off effects and move effect parameters on the fly. So I've got some beat slicing going on with a drum track and bass line where I used automation to turn on and off the button to start slicing in one of the Traktor's 12 effects. Pretty cool and it opens up a load of nice things I can do now.

Slightly changed the eq'ing on mine, seemed a bit bass heavy so I have re uploaded a new mix to soundcloud..

This one came together pretty quickly,but sadly as a consequence,I have also very quickly lost complete interest in it.. maybe going to take a break from making music for a while.

*Edit to post*

Changed my mind and decided to add the video as I think it puts the music in a better context. I think it works quite well, but then I would say that!

Also a new upload to Soundcloud. Both versions can be found below:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl71mvxKaOg&feature=youtu.be"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl71mvxKaOg&feature=youtu.be[/url]

[url="https://soundcloud.com/foolsjourney/free-ride"]https://soundcloud.com/foolsjourney/free-ride[/url]

Cheers,
James.
:)

Edited by Bleat

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1460297878' post='3024430']...automation in Reaper...
[/quote]

I'll assume that you've at least come across the SWS Extensions for Reaper..? There's a lot there; a very useful one, I've found, is an LFO Generator; I have used it for simulating a wah pedal, for instance, or slowly fading between two sounds. Powerful stuff, indeed.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1460301504' post='3024457']
I'll assume that you've at least come across the SWS Extensions for Reaper..? There's a lot there; a very useful one, I've found, is an LFO Generator; I have used it for simulating a wah pedal, for instance, or slowly fading between two sounds. Powerful stuff, indeed.
[/quote]

Ah yeah I have those installed. I use the notes one a lot for keeping track of any mix changes I need to make and to also make a note of the chord sequences of songs. I need to check out and RTFM for the rest of the SWS ones :)

Ain't it funny how some months the pic can click with you & then other months - nothing. :sorry:

I'll keep trying, but the image gives me fast action & the video gives me slow suspense. Maybe I could do something about a dog chasing them down the mountain?

I'll keep at it.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1460357368' post='3024829']
Ain't it funny how some months the pic can click with you & then other months - nothing. :sorry:

I'll keep trying, but the image gives me fast action & the video gives me slow suspense. Maybe I could do something about a dog chasing them down the mountain?

I'll keep at it.
[/quote]
I know what you mean.... There isn't a lot in either to inspire. The "Jono" pic is quite a personal thing and the video is a bit stop start to provide any rhythm. I'm gonna persevere as well. There is something about the "Jono" pic that's making me feel rueful. Rueful is the exchange student intern here at work. He doesn't mind. He knows it's in the interest of Art, dammit man......,

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1460388808' post='3025251']
the video is a bit stop start to provide any rhythm.
[/quote]

I listened to my track with the video running and kept wanting the snowboarders to do a big huge fast run all the way through. I still think it's a decent fit though. It's inspired by some Beastie Boys songs. They have a video for Mullethead that's set to snowboarding which make me think of them. And it was whilst auditioning vintage organs in search for a sound similar to one in So Whatcha' Want? that I stumbled across the tune that will eventually be my entry this month.