Why become a member? ×

April Composition Challenge - GET WRITING!

Skol303

[b][size=5][color=#800000]April's Composition Challenge is now underway![/color][/size][/b]

[size=5]Breaking with convention we have two sources of inspiration this month, as chosen by last month's winner, [b]Leonard Smalls[/b]… Firstly, this photo:[/size]

[size=5]And secondly, this video...[/size]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXPj_A20dBA&feature=youtu.be
[i]YouTube copy kindly supplied by Dad3353 Audiovisual Enterprises Plc.[/i]

[size=4]Click on the 'Spoiler' button below to read the usual rules and caveats:[/size]

[spoiler]By entering the competition you agree to the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules"]Basschat Terms and Conditions[/url] and [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/3178-forum-guidelines/"]Forum Guidelines[/url], which are designed to help ensure the forum remains free of offensive and/or illegal behaviour and material. In a nutshell:

[b]1) Please avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive[/b]. If your track contains explicit lyrics, for example, then please warn other forum users so they can choose for themselves whether to listen to it.

[b]2) Please make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds included in your track[/b] (ie. sounds that you have not recorded yourself, such as samples of other people's music). The owners of Basschat accept no responsibility for infringements of copyright or other forms of legal ownership, which are solely the responsibility of competition entrants. If we spot any breaches of copyright then your track will be removed from the competition.

[b]3) Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition[/b], taking inspiration from the photo provided. No cheating![/spoiler]

If you have any questions, just ask.

[b][color=#800000][size=5]The deadline for entries is midnight on Saturday 23rd April.[/size][/color][/b]

Edited by Skol303

I don't know how to embed the Facebook vid without getting into html, but the theme of this month is crazy dogs (my sadly departed ex-mutt, Jono), snow (some in the lane above my house 3 years ago this week!), and crazy French girls, also in the snow...
I can envisage "woohoo" Blur type stuff, sad songs about the death of a dog, free jazz epics celebrating the randomness of snow drifts, struttin' disco grooves about "having a good time, all the time" (copyright Spinal Tap!), or acoustic ballads about being scared stupid!

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1459506136' post='3017170']
I don't know how to embed the Facebook vid without getting into html, but the theme of this month is crazy dogs (my sadly departed ex-mutt, Jono), snow (some in the lane above my house 3 years ago this week!), and crazy French girls, also in the snow...
I can envisage "woohoo" Blur type stuff, sad songs about the death of a dog, free jazz epics celebrating the randomness of snow drifts, struttin' disco grooves about "having a good time, all the time" (copyright Spinal Tap!), or acoustic ballads about being scared stupid!
[/quote]

Darn it..! And there was I, hoping there'd be a place for a 'John Williams'-style epic mini-symphony..! Oh well, next month, perhaps... :(

[/quote]

Immediately made me start hearing something akin to the French band, Air. Sort of light and spacey, poppy electro stuff.

Not sure if that's what I'm going to gun for, but it's what I'm humming whilst sat at work :)

[/quote]

On seeing that video my thoughts turned to the theme of your latest one , however , taking it a step further and sh****g ones self good and proper !

Images of my first tv idol (crush!) Paloma Matta........came back to me with that image. Waited for ages every show for her,but that

bloomin boy and his dog got in the way....I was only little !!

Nige

Oh by the way thanks for the t-shirt people........normal service will be resumed this month !!

I've got all the instrumentation done, more or less.

I heard an up tempo rock song with a slightly punky vibe when I watched that video. I recorded the instruments yesterday and today. It's come together pretty quickly - I usually faff around for ages before I get started!

I've written some basic lyrics and am now umming and ahhing over whether to sing and risk completely ruining it or leave it instrumental and have it sound a bit empty.

Decisions, decisions!

Can't watch the video..... Bandwidth terrible where I am at the mo..... Picture looking a bit fuzzy too. I'm beginning to regret voting for Mr Smalls last month, I'm not a dog lover and I've never been skiing (honest) so I can draw no tangent to this situation. I'm an artist though (:D lol) so I wil draw some perspective on which to hang a note or two. Seriously though, I am challenged by the photo. Let's hope I get time to give it a go.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1459634705' post='3018322']
Can't watch the video..... Bandwidth terrible where I am at the mo..... Picture looking a bit fuzzy too. I'm beginning to regret voting for Mr Smalls last month, I'm not a dog lover and I've never been skiing (honest) so I can draw no tangent to this situation. I'm an artist though (:D lol) so I wil draw some perspective on which to hang a note or two. Seriously though, I am challenged by the photo. Let's hope I get time to give it a go.
[/quote]

If it's any use to you the video is just of 2 people snowboarding down a mountain.

[quote name='Rikki1984' timestamp='1459635563' post='3018328']

If it's any use to you the video is just of 2 people snowboarding down a mountain.
[/quote]
Awesome...... One of the best music to video matches I ever saw was on Eurosport. They were highlighting some ski event and they used the instrumental half of 'I am the resurrection' as the backing track. It was amazing. I know that's setting the bar pretty high but we can only hope.

Here you are, then, in two parts. Here's the full video...

http://youtu.be/vT8Dn-zsvBk

... and, to simplify things for the voting list, here's the Souncloud BO (so without the pictures, of course... :facepalm: )

[url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/schu-jono-schu"]Schuss, Jono, Schuss ...[/url]

[quote name='Rikki1984' timestamp='1459635563' post='3018328']
[/quote]

Aye, it's just of 2 French women snowboarding down a mountain. With ice-axes...
It's waaay rad, dude!
Or in French "C'est super cool!"

Jaysus that video gave me motion sickness. I'll tell you one thing they are mad, the two of them
"Hey olga".....
"Yes Beatrice"......
"you wanna go snowboarding at the weekend?"
"Nein... It's too boring"
"We can make it more exciting if you like"
"How do you mean"
"I dunno...maybe we can go down a 90degree mountain and we must Cary hatchets with daggers sticking out of them"
"Ya ok.... Das is cool"

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1459723107' post='3019050']
"Hey olga".....
"Yes Beatrice"......
"you wanna go snowboarding at the weekend?"
"Nein... It's too boring"
"We can make it more exciting if you like"
"How do you mean"
"I dunno...maybe we can go down a 90degree mountain and we must Cary hatchets with daggers sticking out of them"
"Ya ok.... Das is cool"
[/quote]

:lol: Like it.

I was mucking around with a fuzz pedal over the weekend and am now veering towards something fast and sludgy for this month, rather than light and airy. Bring the noise! :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1459762447' post='3019211']

:lol: Like it.

I was mucking around with a fuzz pedal over the weekend and am now veering towards something fast and sludgy for this month, rather than light and airy. Bring the noise! :)
[/quote]
Sounds good!!

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1459878156' post='3020537']
I was auditioning some instruments for my idea for this month and accidentally created a nice little track that could have some legs of its own. It's not what I had in mind for the comp but I may get two out of this month's :)
[/quote]
As long as you attach a snowboard to those legs. :D