Why become a member? ×

Alternative Driver To Kapperlite 3012LF?

Fonkbass

[quote name='Fonkbass' timestamp='1459793120' post='3019712']
The Kappalite's are twice the price of many drivers in the 12" range, but are they twice as good?
[/quote]

Audio gear almost never works like that. The trick is deciding where diminishing returns stop making sense for your particular wants and needs.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1459780574' post='3019523']
I have a lot of sympathy for Marty's view, but as Fonkbass is building a 2 x 12, I doubt that Dave Green would object - especially as he allows for the option of a cheaper midrange driver. There will be some shortfall in performance, but the savings are huge. It would be a closer call with a 1 x 12".

If the OP decides not to go down the Fearful route, (i.e. not fit a midrange driver), the Beyma would actually be the better choice, as the Kappalite 12LF is not really a bass/midrange driver.
[/quote]

Stevie, would you consider the Beyma's a cheap Driver? or good quality at a low price?

[quote name='Passinwind' timestamp='1459793651' post='3019725']
Audio gear almost never works like that. The trick is deciding where diminishing returns stop making sense for your particular wants and needs.
[/quote]

In the US the Eminences are a lot cheaper...so they are probably a no brainer for them....but how driver sound to player is most important.
For instance i've played through a Ampeg SVT and 6x10 a few times and like the sound of them, but i wouldn't want that sound all the time. I want a more versatile solution.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1459795020' post='3019751']
It's a high quality driver - not cheap and cheerful.
[/quote]

I've been reading the 1x12 build diary thread...some good info in there..The reviews seem promising for the 1x12 loaded with the Beyma...Have you tried any other 12's in there yet?

Also whats this multi buy thing?

The two of us taking part in the build diary thread (there were three, but we lost one) have been struggling for time to devote to it. Yes, I've tried some other speakers in the cab, including the Eminence 12LF, but the Beyma is the best compromise so far. The Eminence really needs a midrange driver, a la Fearful, as JT pointed out.

I haven't visited the thread for a bit, but I think that if enough Basschatters are prepared to buy the Beyma 12s, we'll approach the distributor to get a special price. Last time I looked, the quantities weren't sufficient.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1459800865' post='3019862']
The two of us taking part in the build diary thread (there were three, but we lost one) have been struggling for time to devote to it. Yes, I've tried some other speakers in the cab, including the Eminence 12LF, but the Beyma is the best compromise so far. The Eminence really needs a midrange driver, a la Fearful, as JT pointed out.

I haven't visited the thread for a bit, but I think that if enough Basschatters are prepared to buy the Beyma 12s, we'll approach the distributor to get a special price. Last time I looked, the quantities weren't sufficient.
[/quote]

No ones mentioned the Fane Sovereign Pro 12-300!!! I had a Fane loaded cab years ago and it was nice, cant remember which Fane driver...

Example...i dont want it to sound like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39k9fqlW4F0&ebc=ANyPxKq9wasff2cgwYK1-V-qEf9_9pTpdkVU_aOC6NnBwEinBF5zIxi9YRNXNErv1KNAE1lUgmhQBPnu0uaXxr6VHkW0zBxhvQ

Edited by Fonkbass

I have a friend who use Fanes in his 210 builds. He complains that he doesn't get the top he likes and
we are going to work right thru his tone stack....which involves racked compressor, power amp and
Music man strung with flats.

So, it may not be the cabs/chassis' at all, but I'll try and get the models he is using and also comeback when/if
we find the culprit.

If we used my gear, I'd know in an instant if it was the cabs/chassis. I also think I recall he used a 'plan'
to build from.

I really need to find out more :lol: