Why become a member? ×

Looking for a new bass - not a replacement

mfisher91

Sorry, tad busy at the moment haha. I've only had chance to play it three times since I got it home on Friday - although one was a gig.

It plays fantasically and was no effort at all to transfer my skills over on to - whereas some were the complete opposite. As one of my band members posted post-gig - "That bass though!". The bass on this is intense. I mean, I was standing next to a massive window and thought it was going to smash, bearing in mind my Mark Bass 250 was only at a quater volume, it makes for a pretty intense bassy sound. Bone shattering, haha. But on top of that, it can still get to those high notes without loosing them. In fact, with my band the high notes punch through even better than the P-Bass, because of the punchiness.

I still need to play with it more to be able to give a proper review! My dissertation is due in 2 weeks, so I really need to concentrate :P haha

edit: Just read this back and it's the worst review ever and it doesn't do the bass any justice at all! Sorry lol

Edited by mfisher91

Right, let's try this again....

[b]It's beautiful[/b]
Seriously. I like the look of my P-Bass and many other basses, but this is something else. It has a glossy type look to give it a shine which adds even more to the overall finish - at first I thought it'd take away from the looks, but it does the opposite. The owner of Bass Direct informed me that, because of the grains in the wood, it will be unique too. The black hardware looks great too. I'm usually against black on instruments, but this goes really well with the grains in the wood. A well thought at design by Mayones :).

[b]The build is solid[/b]
This is one feature that [i]really [/i]sold me on this bass. All of the hardware feels firm and secure and not like a cheap metal peice of crap. The volume/pickup selector/bass/etc controls alllow you to change the levels to millimetre precision. I'm going to compare it to a Dingwall that I played which was around the same price. The Dingwall was light (that actually put my off) and felt like plastic, and cheap plastic at that (IMO), and that no thought had been put into it other than what it looks like. The Mayones (both of which I played, actually) felt more quality than the money I spent.

[b]The tone[/b]
Like I said in my original post, I was looking at getting something with a really sub-based tone. Well, that's what this offers with the right settings (of course, it can do much more than that!). The controls on the bass give you so much adjustability that you can leave your amp flat (actually, I found this worked better) and control it fully from the bass to get what ever tone you're looking for, within reason. I find with some basses the bottom B sounds like a wet fart. Well, this thumps out of the bass like a.....Ok, I can't think of a comparison. Something really subby anyway :P.

[b]Playability[/b]
One of the easiest 5 strings I've ever played. I have farely short hands, so I find 5 strings too much of a strain. The neck is still big, but I found it so easy to move around the neck across all the strings. In fact, the person I took with me said it sounded like I'd been with this bass for years, which is always a good sign! I still need to spent more time playing it till I can really say what it's like to play, as it's my first 5 string.

I had a funny moment at a gig last Friday when I knew what I was meant to be playing, glanced at the fret board and off I went. Wait....I thought this was in E? I'm playing in E and it sounds crap. Oh yea, I'm on the wrong string. My rhythm guitarist also glanced across at me during another tune and thought he was playing in the wrong key - thought I was playing in C rather than G.

Other than that, it was great to play at the gig! Haha. Got a bit of a gap between now and the next festival, so I really need some practice with the 5 string before then haha.

Hope that's a better review :)

[quote name='mfisher91' timestamp='1459868856' post='3020407']
I find with some basses the bottom B sounds like a wet fart. Well, this thumps out of the bass like a.....
[/quote]

dry fart?

The black hardware looks great too. I'm usually against black on instruments, but this goes really well with the grains in the wood.
[/quote]

Always the best choice on natural instruments IMO :)

All of the hardware feels firm and secure and not like a cheap metal peice of crap. The volume/pickup selector/bass/etc controls alllow you to change the levels to millimetre precision.
[/quote]

I think this is very important and a sign of a quality instrument... On a good bass everything feels solid and tight, knobs turn smoothly with the right amount of resistance, tuners are solid and firm etc. Nothing puts me off a bass quicker than flimsy cheap feeling hardware.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1459883997' post='3020619']
Wow, what a looker. Never really paid much attention to Mayones but am finding myself quite drawn to the BE 5 Ash on Bass Direct's website!
[/quote]

I would honestly go try it out! My main worry now is that this bass may be able to provide all I need in one bass. I've owned the P-Bass since I was 14 (I'm 25 now) so it's going to be a sad day if that happens! Don't know if I'll ever be able to sell her lol.