Why become a member? ×

NBD: J&D Jazz Bass Vintage 1975 Sonic Blue

mr.noisy

I had to remove the link because the tune we played isn't released yet and artist want to keep it private until release date. Mcnah, can you please edit your post to remove the link? I'll post later other tune when I get home. I don't want to have any trouble related to leaking stuff too early :D

Edited by mr.noisy

[quote name='mr.noisy' timestamp='1459542904' post='3017635']
I had to remove the link because the tune we played isn't released yet and artist want to keep it private until release date. Mcnah, can you please edit your post to remove the link? I'll post later other tune when I get home. I don't want to have any trouble related to leaking stuff too early :D
[/quote]

done

[quote name='bobbytodd' timestamp='1459551856' post='3017710']
pulled the trigger and just ordered one
[/quote]

You can't go wrong with it, I hope you will get the good one, and if not then returning or exchanging it shouldn't be a problem. I was lucky because I could try it first, but all their basses on display were good and I tried every single one.

bass arrived today.apart from rough fret edges I cant fault it.i adjusted the truss rod half a turn and set the action at 2mm on the e string.no buzzes anywhere on the fretboard.
I did change the bridge to gotoh 201 and im changing the electrics to a kiogan loom.I might also put a set of dimarzio dp123 because ive got them.for the price its an awesome bass

[quote name='bobbytodd' timestamp='1459982316' post='3021581']
bass arrived today.apart from rough fret edges I cant fault it.i adjusted the truss rod half a turn and set the action at 2mm on the e string.no buzzes anywhere on the fretboard.
I did change the bridge to gotoh 201 and im changing the electrics to a kiogan loom.I might also put a set of dimarzio dp123 because ive got them.for the price its an awesome bass
[/quote]

The electrics change is probably a good move as mine started to misbehave pretty early (noisy pots)... but everything else is great ;)

[quote name='bobbytodd' timestamp='1460057694' post='3022273']
well not a good night.the bloody dog jumped up and scratched the scratchplate and the dimarzios don't fit.time for a pint.do fender scratch plates fit?
[/quote]

I tried to fit one on mine and it was way off. Fixable with care but enough to be a headache I'm afraid.

[quote name='bobbytodd' timestamp='1460057694' post='3022273']
well not a good night.the bloody dog jumped up and scratched the scratchplate and the dimarzios don't fit.time for a pint.do fender scratch plates fit?
[/quote]

The one I got on my J&D was one I originally bought for a Squier VM Jazz. The holes do not align but it fitted. It was a tight fit but it fitted (picture on post 17)

• 9 months later...

Just got one, I've got a very early one in natural and the body is the same shape as fender, so a tort scratch fitted no trouble, BUT this surf green one is way different. The lower cutaway is like the Fender 24 fret so a standard jazz plate is totally different. However Ive found some nice mint scratch material and will make one. A word of warning here, folks. All good fun tho!

[quote name='itsat34' timestamp='1486405576' post='3231537']
Just got one, I've got a very early one in natural and the body is the same shape as fender, so a tort scratch fitted no trouble, BUT this surf green one is way different. The lower cutaway is like the Fender 24 fret so a standard jazz plate is totally different. However Ive found some nice mint scratch material and will make one. A word of warning here, folks. All good fun tho!
[/quote]

I sent the original one to Scratch-it and Tim made me a lovely purple tort plate. It has no pre-drilled holes and I glued it onto the bass. To say it looks awesome is an understatement (it is the bass in my avatar pic).

http://www.originalscratchplates.com/

• 5 months later...

I've had mine for a couple of months now which I've posted about elsewhere. I still can't believe it was only £109 and I'm still totally in love with it. I've gigged with nothing else since.

I've changed the strings to my usual Super Slinky's - the original strings were really nice and I might've left them on but for the weird oscillating overtones coming from the E string (slipped core I think). The Slinky's sound tremendous on this bass; growly, dirty tone that sounds amazing when I push the gain up a bit.

I don't actually need to upgrade anything on it, although that was my original intention. Of course there are better tuners, pickups, bridges out there that I could add, and I probably will at some stage, but for now everything is more than adequate and I've very pleased with it. I might buy another!

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

[quote name='bobbytodd' timestamp='1500716152' post='3339732']
finally got round to fitting a new scratch plate.thought id try something different and went with blue pearl
[/quote]

I'm interested to know if this fitted straight off or if any fettling was required?