Why become a member? ×

2016/2017 build season fretless/fretted 5

scojack

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for the good comments on this build. :)
Well she's gone, big bruv is over the moon.
I really liked having that high C..... found it really useful. Was a 5 string low B convert... but fancy one of these myself now :rolleyes:
Had no plans for this year but there is this lovely bit of mcEbony cluttering up the shop and taking up valuable workspace..
Courtesy of Dave of this parish ([url="https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009008697488"]Firecreek Basses[/url]) thanks pal :)

Hmm

IanM

Edited by scojack

Cheers guys we'll see how it goes, Mrs Scojack is expecting her kitchen to be finished this year !
On a sidenote ....
I always fancied taking the DB scroll motif and applying it to an electric, just for the whimsy. I have had an idea in mind for years, it's been done before i know but not quite the way i had in mind. That is until i came across the brilliant Luthier Les Godfrey. His designs and work goes into the realms of art....

IanM

• 3 weeks later...

Well all the image links from photobucket are busted, what a pain !
I will re-do this post when i can be arsed.....

Anyhoo here's the latest progress courtesy of imgur....
Rounded over and body carved.
The ebony was a nightmare in the end. It comes supplied with one good..ish surface, the other is left with deep saw marks so required planing.
It was tearing out on a few places so i ended up having to do a fair bit of sanding to get it to this stage, happy now though :)

Limba for the back. It's colour is light on the outside and gives a nice contrast with the Ebony.
The Brown in the middle should blend with the Shedua Neck when viewed from the back. (Well that's the intention).

Neck ...well... it will be ..

IanM

Edited by scojack

It's awful to work Norris, Wenge used to be my most hated wood it's not now !
I did salvage enough ebony for a head cap myself but it's the worst piece with interlocked grain and a knot..i was going to try it through the planer but nah don't think so now.
I'll need a plan B for this probably revert to a nice veneer.

I had some work done on my DB last summer. The guy said it was the nicest piece of ebony he had ever worked on. It just peeled of uniformly under his plane.

I am not convinced I got £800 of extra tone from the whole thing, but that is another story. It was more than just planing the fingerboard.

Edited by owen

• 2 weeks later...

Needed a slightly bigger control cavity cover so thought i'd share how i make a set of templates.

First i make a new cover plate in mdf, i will then copy this with a flush trimming bit which gives me a better Master Template with nice square sides.
I now need to make a routing template for the new cover.

So roughly hack out a hole in some mdf that is 4/5 mm bigger than the cover template,

I then add a few layers of sellotape to the cover plate template edges. This will help to make our routing template [i]slightly[/i] bigger than the cover plate. I don't want it too tight. Cover [u]this[/u] tape with silicone or vaseline to stop any resin sticking to it.

I have also sealed the bottom what will be the 'mold' with sellotape....

Flip this over and sit the Cover template inside. This now gives a seal around the whole assembly.

Nip to Halfords...get yourself some fibre glass resin (and hardener) £5.00 a pop for a small bottle.
Mix it and pour it in the gap between the mold and the cover plate template...
Note I have made a few little 'wells' in the mdf to help pour the resin, this also helps to key the resin to the mdf when it's set.

Nip out for a brew...it will be hardened by the time you get back.

Take the sellotape off the back and pop the Cover plate template out, remove the sellotape from the edges...

Et Voila ...... a new control cover plate template AND a routing template for it :)

PS

You can use the same technique to make pickup routing templates AND neck pocket templates.....

Hope this is some help to someone, i find it makes a far better job that trying to fit covers by hand !

IanM

Edited by scojack

Great tip re template making, thanks!

I spent an entire afternoon trying to make the body template from a cover template using different diameter straight bits and different size guide bushes, which works but is far more error prone than this approach I suspect.

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1501493312' post='3344943']
Needed a slightly bigger control cavity cover so thought i'd share how i make a set of templates.

First i make a new cover plate in mdf, i will then copy this with a flush trimming bit which gives me a better Master Template with nice square sides.

So roughly hack out a hole in some mdf that is 4/5 mm bigger than the cover template,

I then add a few layers of sellotape to the cover plate template edges. This will help to make our routing template [i]slightly[/i] bigger than the cover plate. I don't want it too tight. Cover [u]this[/u] tape with silicone or vaseline to stop any resin sticking to it.

Flip this over and sit the Cover template inside. This now gives a seal around the whole assembly.

Nip to Halfords...get yourself some fibre glass resin (and hardener) £5.00 a pop for a small bottle.
Note I have made a few little 'wells' in the mdf to help pour the resin, this also helps to key the resin to the mdf when it's set.

Take the sellotape off the back and pop the Cover plate template out, remove the sellotape from the edges...

Et Voila ...... a new control cover plate template AND a routing template for it :)

PS

You can use the same technique to make pickup routing templates AND neck pocket templates.....

Hope this is some help to someone, i find it makes a far better job that trying to fit covers by hand !

IanM
[/quote]
That's clever, Ian :)

[quote name='scojack' timestamp='1501493312' post='3344943']

PS

IanM
[/quote]

Nice - I shall be stealing this one :D