Why become a member? ×

2016/2017 build season fretless/fretted 5

scojack

Pickups -- Ideally a set of EMG's like the last one but seeing as this is just for me (and the pricetag.,, i had to get my brother to buy them himself it would have made me unwell !) .if it's a bass I really take too and i ever was to start playing again then i would consider the upgrade, So i have a nice set of stacked humbuckers, squeeze them into an EMG shell and i have an upgrade option if i fancy it.

So made some sycamore shells and capped them with some leftover ebony..

Resin potted and shielded hence the extra wire ..

Under the bonnet ..

Just got the next one to finish.

Ian

Edited by scojack

That's the other pickup done, was a real squeeze fitting this one (bridge) but it's in. Tested the coils with a ohmmeter and they are fit 'n' healthy.
I can't just put two pickup holes in the middle of each side (EMG) as the coils are pretty much filling up the whole shell so i will have to put the holes in the corners. Instead of 4 holes on each pickup i think i will be lazy and [i]try[/i] to get away with two holes per pickup at opposite corners.

Next job is the fingerboard...
After reading Blablas's comments about flat fingerboards i think i might try this myself. I have played a flat fingerboard on a 4 string and found it absolutely fine.
I got to thinking that putting a radius on a FB may just be a leftover from bowed instrument days and maybe i have been phaffing about unnecessarily all these years. Anyhoos time to put this to the test !

IanM

Edited by scojack

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...