Why become a member? ×

Event UK - for gig payment?

redbandit599

local pub landlady to me: "loved to have your band on here but we only pay £150.00-£200.00 for a band. its all we can afford". what a load of old sh*t. Brewery pays £300.00 and I know cause we play at another venue owned by the same brewery. guess whos' pocketing the difference then!!??!!.

Obviously told her we wont want a gig there any time soon (its a shithole anyway) Getting paid direct is a good thing when it comes to these types.

Unless you are doing two a week every week and this is how you get paid ie: invoice first then lolly later, i cant see the IR chasing you down for £50-£70.00 each that you earn maybe 4 times a year at a few venues. When all venues pay like this then ok get the books out but at this point we are in a position to join arms and demand fair pay. Also you can start claiming back money for fuel, strings, equipment, braodband so you can use UTube to learn stuff ect ect.... Until such a time though its brass in the pocket, bangers and mash, mooolah or what ever the saying is....

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1459352721' post='3015713']
local pub landlady to me: "loved to have your band on here but we only pay £150.00-£200.00 for a band. its all we can afford". what a load of old sh*t. Brewery pays £300.00 and I know cause we play at another venue owned by the same brewery. guess whos' pocketing the difference then!!??!!.

Obviously told her we wont want a gig there any time soon (its a shithole anyway) [b]Getting paid direct is a good thing when it comes to these types[/b].

[/quote]

Im not sure i follow. If you get paid by the landlord you get underpaid if the brewery normalcy pay £300, wouldn't you get more by dealing with the brewery rather than direct?

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1459164959' post='3013970']
I think this is a natural extension of a cashless economy. We all like to be paid in cash, but as we are providing a commercial service, being paid cash with no questions asked isn't really defensible in the 21st century for a band or a plumber / builder, etc.
[/quote]Playing Devil's here - but does that logic then extend to buying a pint from the same venue?

I understand this is the way it's going , and bands have been used to cash in hand ; but the payment surely 'has' to be both ways?

I get the logic behind it - I think that cash in hand is probably ideal for us all, and still seems to be in the majority.

Ultimately though, as a band we are supplying a service to a business (the pub) and so payment on terms is the norm for most services and businesses. There's a 'business relationship' even if there isn't a contract.

When you buy a pint, that's retail - and you take the goods away with you (or leave them in the loo!) so payment on delivery is the required.

My original post was just to ascertain if Event UK worked - and it seems that people don't have a problem with it working/getting paid - albeit later than what we are mostly used to and with a bit more 'admin.' So up to us whether we take these gigs or not based on personal preference now I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

One of my bands does a regular monthly gig. We did our first gig for 18 months last week and were told the pub wanted to pay us via PayPal!!!! I've not come across that one before! Apparently they don't want to be handing over cash.

Anyone see any downsides to being paid this way?

5 minutes ago, chris_b said:

One of my bands does a regular monthly gig. We did our first gig for 18 months last week and were told the pub wanted to pay us via PayPal!!!! I've not come across that one before! Apparently they don't want to be handing over cash.

Anyone see any downsides to being paid this way?

As a guest, or for goods and services?

Message received from a pub we (used to) play regularly:

"Head Office have decided that we must now use a centralised booking system for live music.   As I understand it at the moment, the main changes will be: 

I need to register every performer with a company called Events UK as soon as possible.
I will tell Events UK when I want to book you, and they will then contact you directly.
After your gig, you will need to send an invoice to Events UK, who will then make payment directly into your bank account.  The lead time for making payment is 3 weeks.  If you become "resident", they will speed up payment to 1 week. 

You do not need to be registered for VAT.

I realise that this is far from ideal, but unfortunately there appears to be no way around it."

They're all going this way, have been for years. Greene King were first (I believe) with 'Concur', that was so unpopular that they replaced it with 'Invapay', which was such a disaster that ... erm ... they're bringing back 'Concur'.

Fullers tried to solve the problem by insisting that every Fullers pub HAD to get an invoice from every band, but then paid cash. Going forward, the manager at another regular gig has quietly warned me that we will need in future to be able to accept payment (as a band) by card.

All pubs in the Mitchell & Butlers chain seem to be doing this Event UK thing already, and the pub that sent us the above message is owned by Star Pubs so clearly they're going the same way.

On one hand I can understand how a computer based system could work. I really don't want to be taking a handful of cash and trying to divvy it out on the night. However, I think it's very wrong that it takes at least 3 weeks to pay an artist after they have provided the service. We did a big gig at a venue we play every year about two months ago and it took over a month to pay us. In this day and age, there is no excuse for that. It was a fixed fee and not dependant on tickets sales or anything like that. I would be happy to invoice within an hour of finishing any gig and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect payment by the close of play on the Monday after.

I don’t think For the last 25 years I’ve worked anywhere that wasn’t monthly payments with a month in hand at the start. 
Even freelance  most companies were 15 - 30 days after the invoice was presented.

There was one company  you had to go through a processing company that charged 3% for handling, turns  out that was owned by the same director, only once…