Why become a member? ×

Old Smoothie

rodney72a

Sterling Ball talking about the history behind the 40th Anniversary StingRay, Old Smoothie:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ZRWzEBIzE"]https://www.youtube....h?v=R2ZRWzEBIzE[/url]

I tried the one Strings & Things brought to the London Show recently. Due to the noise levels in the hall you couldn't really judge the sound, but the neck - profile and low frets - did feel great. Finish looked beautiful. Another winner from EBMM!

Edited by rodney72a

The Classics aren't reissues either as they are a hybrid of a pre EB Stingray (slab body) and an early 90s Stingray (6 bolt neck joint, wheel truss rod, long bridge with mutes), figured maple neck. It sounded ok to me - in fact rather good.

You clearly aren't a fan (I recall your comments about EBMM necks being appalling - which many including me would take issue with) - so why bother?

I've owned a Stingray and a Sterling and the neck profile on the Sterling was fine, but there was dead spots (5th fret D and G); I've come across this on two other 90s models. The asymmetrical neck profile on the Stingray wasn't as comfortable IMO, due to the extra width.

I didn't realize you had to be Pro-EBMM to post on this thread. Either way, £2400 is extortionate.

• 2 weeks later...

The released that video 7 days ago, didn't they. I kept wondering "Real or April Fool?" Such is the degree of marketing cheese therein!

Edit: Aaah, 25 March upload date... But it was 1 April it started showing up on all my feeds.

Edited by TrevorR

• 1 month later...

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1463785714' post='3054148']
I just paid the deposit and ordered one through Bass Direct this evening. Mark still doesn't have a firm street date for them, so I'll just have to be patient.
They should be shipping sometime mid-summer.
[/quote]

I haven't ordered mind yet but I was told there are two batches one for June and the other for August. Likely to order mine in July.

Someone has a very tempting 30th anniversary Ray in the classifieds also......

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1463836221' post='3054457']
Yes, of course it's marketing. It's how companies sell things.
Given that the video is less than ten minutes long, could you not have reached the end and then decided.
[/quote]

No, but you're right, given what it was I should have just given it a miss.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1463903373' post='3054768']

No, but you're right, given what it was I should have just given it a miss.
[/quote]

The video would have enlightened you about this historic bass - that might have enabled you to take an informed view about it rather than simply making negative comments based on presumption or preconceived ideas. But hey ho, this is the Internet after all.

Anyway I will be ordering one - I used my Stingray Classic last night on a gig with the mutes on and TI flats - what a sound - and I could still get a decent slap sound out of it.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1463919128' post='3054925']
The video would have enlightened you about this historic bass - that might have enabled you to take an informed view about it rather than simply making negative comments based on presumption or preconceived ideas. But hey ho, this is the Internet after all.
[/quote]

I'm sorry if I've caused such offence, it wasn't my intention to inflame things so.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1463785714' post='3054148']
I just paid the deposit and ordered one through Bass Direct this evening.
[/quote]

Well that just bought up a feeling of ultra GAS that I haven't had in quite some time, good move pal ;)

SUB cause it,s a hell of a lot cheaper .
I have A/B my SUB with a Classic through my rig ,so close it,s frightening,SUB got the nod only because the neck felt comfy with a decade of playing and the set up was how I like it,.Apart from that they are pretty identical and a good advert for quality control
Save your money -get a SUB the USA one that is

Bassmachine you're quite right if you're on a relatively tight budget - the US Sub is a great bass. I have one and love the textured white finish, chequer plate pickguard and painted neck, the sound and playability.

However I have a classic Ray and am also ordering an Old Smoothie. The shape may be similar and the fundamental pick up and EQ but there the analogy finishes. My classic can sound significantly different just by use of the mutes and also owing to the strings through bridge. The fit, finish and materials are top rate. One of the key differences from the Sub is the finishing of the edge of the neck - this is, according to Sterling Ball, where they saved a lot of build cost.

The Old Smoothie has a number of unique features also, which is what attracts me to buy one rather than a regular sunburst Stingray or Classic.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1476313203' post='3153344']

Unless I'm mistaken, you did order a Smoothie didn't you? If so, have you had any word yet? They seem to be trickling out now.
[/quote]

Yes I did - I've been told mid October but haven't heard any more (that is the third date I've been given)! Have you got yours yet?

• 1 month later...