Why become a member? ×

Which 5 string to get?

Freddie75

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a 5 string bass, - this after 25 years of playing 4 strings. I currently play a Fender USA select active Jazz 4 string which is the most comfortable bass I've ever owned and played. I play in a Funk/Dance covers band with occasional slap etc etc.

I'm not really in a position where I can sit in a shop for hours on end trying different basses out.

I have smallish hands - so neck comfort is vital as will be the string spacing.

Also I don't have a big budget nor want to spend a lot of money just incase I don't get on with it.

Any help / recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Max budget (at a push) is £500.

Thank you guys!!

Freddie

My personal recommendation with your budget is to look seriously at Yamaha.

Although I love Fender 4 string basses I've never been impressesd with their 5 strings. Certainly not the ones you'd get for £500. I have a Mexican Fender Jazz 5 as a passive back up, and it's miles behind by Yamaha TRB 5 at a similar 2nd hand price.

The 2016 Ibanez SR305's look amazingly good for the money. They've upgraded the electronics and the body wood is mahogany now. It was already a damn good instrument for the money (around £250). The new version is basically an SR505 (RRP around half a grand) for half that price.

The Yamaha TRBX series looks really good too, I've been quite keen to try one out. The TRBX305 will set you back just shy of £300 new.

Second the Sire MM Jazz too, they look excellent. Don't ignore the Squier VM/CV models either.

Edited by ForestPoetry

An Ibanez SR505 will cost around £525 new and even less used. This one at GG is a Japanese model, so expect better spec. Distance selling, 7 day try out period. http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=PX151224291842001

Having small hands is of no consequence whatsoever so have no fear for big necks.
There's people playing broadneck 6, 7 or even up to 11 strings or whatever.

The trick is in the thumb sitting at the back of the neck at the right position (somewhere in between your index and middle finger)
Wrong hand positioning means a painful experience on any five stringer imho.

Yamaha is a good call.

You may be able to get a Lakland 5501 for about 450-500 second hand, that's also a good quality instrument with Fender-ish influences, so it won't feel totally alien compared to your Jazz.

Regarding string spacing:

I am only 5'10" and I play a 35" scale 5 string with medium string spacing, I think it's around the 18mm mark. In my experience it's more to do (for me) with the depth (front to back) of the neck that makes comfortable. I actually like a wide-ish neck, as long as it's not very deep. Your personal taste will obviously be different, but I would just try to not rule out certain basses because they don't have a narrow spacing.

Another vote for the Sire V7. It puts many more expensive basses to shame IMO, yet cost so little. You wont find much in this price range if you want active pre amp and a very decent reinforced neck.

Although a bit more money the Yamaha TRBX305/505 are very good basses, and have quite small necks. My old TRBX 505 had a neck that felt no bigger than a normal 4 sting P bass neck.

Hi there. You could always try this.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/squier-deluxe-jazz-bass-v-active-black/31221?gclid=COH05aPR2csCFdW4Gwod6uEKug

I have small hands and found this a comfortable neck to play after playing 4 string Aria's with slim necks. The neck is wide but slim and comfortable. Sound and build quality excellent for the price, especially if you don't want to invest too much cash in your first fiver. This has become my go to bass lately over the Fender 5er that I have.

^ Those Squier Deluxe Jazz Vs are super wide though!

I have small hands too and find traditional Fender / Squier 5-strings uncomfortable to play. I have a Squier VM Jazz V that is going up for sale soon, as even though the neck is very shallow, the width is a problem and I just prefer something with a tighter string spacing.

The most comfortable 5 string neck I've ever tried is my Warwick Rockbass Streamer (the pickups on it are weak though so I wouldn't recommend this exact one). It is pretty deep front-to-back but has narrow spacing and it fits my hand perfectly. If I ever had a custom bass made I would send them this and make them copy the neck profile! Perhaps lookout for a used Warwick FNA Jazzman (or $$) - with a humbucker in the sweet spot and a single coil at the neck they can cop both Musicman and Jazz tones which sounds perfect for funk/dance/slap stuff.

Edited by dannybuoy

Have a look at Cort, they make some great basses. I had the GB75 and loved everything apart from the active controls - way too much for me, but great for a function, and occasional slap player I'd guess. I now have a much simpler P!

If youve been playing 4 string for 25 years then by a distance the main thing that will make you say "5 string's not for me" will be a flabby b string. I had a SR505 and the B was terrible, is there any way you could stretch to a Dingwall Combustion 2nd Hand?, changed my mind completely about playing a 5er.

I can highly recommend the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V, very comfortable necks and the build quality is very good for a bass twice the price. I think there are a couple used on eBay at the moment. They are passive but that is easily remedied with and east preamp if you require active tones.

Having taken delivery of one recently I can also suggest a Lakland, very flexible and I play a mix of pop/soul/dance/disco. There is a 55-01 on here for sale at the moment.

The Squier dimension is also an incredibly comfortable and playable bass with a hint on MusicMan sound about it, great basses. Never tried the Sire Marcus Millers but people rave about them.

Fenders (and Squiers) are really wide apart from the Dimension Bass, Musicman seem to make the most comfortable (to me) neck, it's a lot narrower than a Fender, but still enough space for my chubby fingers. For under £500 I would recommend an Ibanez ATK, they feel very similar to a Musicman, and they look great.

Yamaha TRB's are great, I have one up for sale but not too worried if it doesn't sell. Having tried a lot of fives they are definitely a favourite...but alas 5 string duties are few and far between these days.

Another vote for Dingwall fivers. When I was dabbling with 5-string basses I found that by far the best B-String was to be found on Dingwall basses. The five strings were cohesive and well-balanced and obviously part of a set - and the B String was taut and responsive.

Of the majority of the other fivers I played the B String seemed to be a floppy afterthought (fnarr) and felt and sounded different from the other four strings. As said above, nothing's going to put you off fivers quicker than an ill-considered B string and in my experience a lot of them are just that.

However I'm well aware that a Dingwall isn't a budget bass by any means... of the budget fives I played, I preferred the Squier VM Jazz V, which I got used for £200. Not perfect by any means, but I installed an Audere Pre and it really sang. I only moved it on after I came to the conclusion that five strings just weren't for me and I went back to four-bangers.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1458819314' post='3011158']
My personal recommendation with your budget is to look seriously at Yamaha.

Although I love Fender 4 string basses I've never been impressesd with their 5 strings. Certainly not the ones you'd get for £500. I have a Mexican Fender Jazz 5 as a passive back up, and it's miles behind by Yamaha TRB 5 at a similar 2nd hand price.
[/quote]

+1

Japanese TRBs are great value for the money. I too was a bit stressed when I was switching to 5 strings but it was very easy to get used to TRB's neck. I played it at a gig with a little practice without any problem. I too have small hands but it wasn't a problem at all. Only problem I got was that it is 35'' scale and I am not a tall guy.

[quote name='GCYPbass' timestamp='1459244316' post='3014646']

Japanese TRBs are great value for the money. I too was a bit stressed when I was switching to 5 strings but it was very easy to get used to TRB's neck. I played it at a gig with a little practice without any problem. I too have small hands but it wasn't a problem at all. Only problem I got was that it is 35'' scale and I am not a tall guy.
[/quote]

The Mk I TRBs are 34" scale. I have a sixer... but it is very wide.

[quote name='therealting' timestamp='1459251199' post='3014722']
The Mk I TRBs are 34" scale. I have a sixer... but it is very wide.
[/quote]

True. I forgot about MK 1s. It would be better choice for a small guy like me but I guess they are a bit more expensive than TRB IIs.

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1458826339' post='3011279']
Having small hands is of no consequence whatsoever so have no fear for big necks.
There's people playing broadneck 6, 7 or even up to 11 strings or whatever.

The trick is in the thumb sitting at the back of the neck at the right position (somewhere in between your index and middle finger)
Wrong hand positioning means a painful experience on any five stringer imho.
[/quote]

+1
I have a Yamaha BB1025 and small hands and found the slightly wider neck made me play with better left hand positioning. going back to a p bass now seems so much more comfortable because I'm playing with better posture.

You wont go wrong with a Yam. Ibanez also very good but I found the string spacing at the bridge too tight for me.