Why become a member? ×

Micromark 801 best price & recomendations?

highwayman

Not sure about where you'll find the best price, but I can attest to it being a great little amp. It's not just a practice amp either - I mean it's not going to compete with a loud band, but I've used mine alongside acoustic guitar, keyboards and two singers, all going through a PA for a bit of reinforcement, and it made a great little monitor; much louder than I expected. The only thing I'd say it might lack for some styles and occasions is EQ, but I've put a Boss GEB-7 pedal in front of mine a couple of times and it worked really well. Wish it'd been available to be my first amp, because it sure beats a Park B25mkII!

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I bought one a year ago, from Bass Direct, who were most helpful and obliging pricewise. Mainly home use, but to give you some idea of its capability, it can hold its own in a small (12-15) piece swing band, providing the drummer is absent. Once the drummer is included then I have to pull out my SWR Workingman’s 10, but would strongly recommend the 801 you won’t be disappointed.[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1458693331' post='3010006']
At this price point there is lots of choice however, bigger and louder.....
[/quote]

Very true, though my thinking is that most beginners don't need a big combo or stack when they're starting out, but most gigging bassists who've been at it a while might benefit from owning a good quality practice and jamming amp that's small enough to put in a cupboard when not in use or carry in a holdall on the bus/tube/train, in addition to their stage rig, so personally I'd buy that as a first amp and keep it, rather than start out with something in the middle ground and end up having to get rid and buy something bigger for stage and something smaller for home practice and jamming round at your mate's house.

Of course, that's exactly the opposite of what I did because the kit just wasn't there to buy when I started out, but it'd certainly be my advice to somebody starting out these days.

I found the the Roland can't keep up with much other than playing along to a CD/file although the battery feature can be useful if you are busking with just an acoustic guitar but bring drums and another guitar into it and it just does not have the volume. Plus the FX are fun but not essential, drum machine is good for practice however.