Why become a member? ×

Too Old?

stewblack

Thanks for all the replies, a genuinely interesting discussion has ensued. I've learned that age is no barrier to continuing in live music which is a heartening message. It also appears that the genre of music played might be significant with certain styles enhanced by the presence of a gnarly old bassist. Of course I am well aware that a bunch of 18 year olds would, under most circumstances, look askance on an old fart like me and that is why I've never troubled them. All of the adverts I've answered have been for and from more experienced musicians.
It seems to me the problem is not being in a band, once established skill and experience will shine through, it is getting into a band when one is older - especially if there is no network of musicians and live music on one's doorstep.

I can understand this. Having previously lived between Manchester and Liverpool, and then Leeds (where there's a college of music) I've moved down to Cambridgeshire to find a comparative dearth of pretty much anything musical.

Thankfully I already know a couple of people to do sudio stuff with but it would be nice to be in a gigging band again.

I solved this problem a while a go by having two ages my "stage age" which is the age i always tell new bands when i join them and my real age which they might find out later.

I have also come across other muscians who also adopt this practice, for instance i recruited a drummer last year who told me he was 42 (real age 52) and at the time i was thinking "my god hes had a rough life, hes younger than me and looks a lot older, must have done some real substance abuse in his early years".

Of course i told him i was in my 30s and it was several weeks later when the band was going well we all admitted our real ages, well apart from the singer he kept saying he was only 35 pfft!

I'm same age as op;(
Bored of the band thing . However, I miss the sound when playing at a louder volume than in my flat.( with drummer / guitarist of course:) )

I may in a few months time, advertise for musicians just to jam and record with in a rehearsal room at weekends or something .
Fun really ;)

[quote name='stewblack' timestamp='1458732341' post='3010230']
Unfortunately, never having been in the Rolling Stones, I can't use that when applying for an audition!
[/quote]

I meant it as an answer to the 'too old?' question, as in clearly there is no age issue to playing in a band.

As for actually finding a band, that's a completely different matter and even if you had been in the Stones I'm sure there would still be bands that thought you were too old ;)

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1458741055' post='3010381']
I meant it as an answer to the 'too old?' question, as in clearly there is no age issue to playing in a band.

As for actually finding a band, that's a completely different matter and even if you had been in the Stones I'm sure there would still be bands that thought you were too old ;)
[/quote]

Ah I see. Sorry the title of the post is misleading, it's really all about my problems even getting an audition because of age. I do appreciate that being old is no handicap to actually being in a band.

[quote name='stewblack' timestamp='1458729564' post='3010183']
It seems to me the problem is not being in a band, once established skill and experience will shine through, it is getting into a band when one is older - especially if there is no network of musicians and live music on one's doorstep.
[/quote]

That's very much the case.

Edited by ahpook

I think the arse has dropped out of the music business now money wise due to the digital thing so age really doesnt really matter,face it there will be no more hendrixs,zeppelins,stone roses etc. I used to worry about it but the older i get the sexier and balder and more distinguished i get.It doesnt matter what age you are if you can play a few tricks women/girls will find it appealing.All good in my book. Theres loads of older dudes out there with taste palying getting gigs,not whinging orrible teenage muzak,and i certainly wouldnt want to end up in a band like coldplay,kids just arent cool these days.You can tell just by the amount of nostalgia in the media and the lack of originality around.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1458644952' post='3009295']
have you tried advertising yourself?, give your age and what you're looking for, nothing to lose have you?
I got back on the horse at 53 that was 10 years ago and this will be our busiest year for gigs, you might have to settle for a covers band though
[/quote]
I''m 56 and recently reinvented myself as a bass player. I've played enough pub rock and lounge jazz as a guitarist in the past so was looking to do something original for a change. No chance in a small town, and no audience either.
After looking vainly for opportunities I realised I had to do it myself, set a goal (a partly-improvised performance including modern dance), found the right people, and it's happening this May as part of an arts festival. Wish me luck!
I realise this may not be for everybody, but there are many ways to entertain with music that don't go down the covers band route.

[quote name='Manwithvan' timestamp='1458767810' post='3010774']
I''m 56 and recently reinvented myself as a bass player. I've played enough pub rock and lounge jazz as a guitarist in the past so was looking to do something original for a change. No chance in a small town, and no audience either.
After looking vainly for opportunities I realised I had to do it myself, set a goal (a partly-improvised performance including modern dance), found the right people, and it's happening this May as part of an arts festival. Wish me luck!
I realise this may not be for everybody, but there are many ways to entertain with music that don't go down the covers band route.
[/quote]

Great stuff... If it's not out there and you want it, set the damn thing up yourself...

Good luck come May :)

This guy is my double bass hero. In his 80s when this was filmed and still touring! I saw him playing with Tcha Limberger's full gypsy orchestra and he was amazing. My cousin is a superb violinist and I showed him this; he said that there were hundreds of violinists who would sound this good with this backing, but only a tiny handful of people who could pull off the accompaniment. It doesn't look like they are doing anything special until you try it...
http://youtu.be/4W7N-jEl93o

Funny thing is I reckon I've gone to seed a bit (at least Im honest! ha) but, have never felt the need to practise so much in my whole life..at least an hr everyday day and I love it even though I will probably never play live again...

I really don't think age is a thing, only attitude.

It works the other way round too.

I joined my big band, or the 'old man band' as my wife calls it, playing a mix of 30s-40s swing and a smattering of 'modern' swing music at the age of 17.
20 years on I'm still loving every second of it and am now one of the 'old guys' at 37!

Age has it's pros and cons.

At 63 I'm smarter,more realistic,a much better bass player and gigging more than ever.

*The only con is, I don't look 18 anymore.

Blue
* Not meant to be humorous.

Edited by blue

[quote name='YouMa' timestamp='1458766916' post='3010758']
I think the arse has dropped out of the music business now money wise due to the digital thing so age really doesnt really matter,face it there will be no more hendrixs,zeppelins,stone roses etc. I used to worry about it but the older i get the sexier and balder and more distinguished i get.It doesnt matter what age you are if you can play a few tricks women/girls will find it appealing.All good in my book. Theres loads of older dudes out there with taste palying getting gigs,not whinging orrible teenage muzak,and i certainly wouldnt want to end up in a band like coldplay,kids just arent cool these days.You can tell just by the amount of nostalgia in the media and the lack of originality around.
[/quote]

I'm lucky we figured out a market for the hard rock and blues from the 70s (Peter Greene, Trower, a little Hendrix, Savoy Brown, Cream ect...)

Keep in mind we have a 30 year old female lead guitarist, front person, lead vocals and band leader. The rest of us are in our 60s.

I'm basically playing to the same crowd as I did when I was 18. That crowd,aged with me.

Don't believe the BS that the over 60 crowd don't go out anymore. They go out and stay out. The ones that are home we're also home when they we're 18.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1458732687' post='3010235']
I can understand this. Having previously lived between Manchester and Liverpool, and then Leeds (where there's a college of music) I've moved down to Cambridgeshire to find a comparative dearth of pretty much anything musical.

Thankfully I already know a couple of people to do sudio stuff with but it would be nice to be in a gigging band again.
[/quote]

Plenty going on for the size of the towns in the area. We should get together and talk....