Why become a member? ×

Too Old?

stewblack

Welcome back Stew. I think you just have to keep looking and networking. I'd resigned myself to the fact that I'd finished with bands and then one found me. This time at 70 I'm not the oldest in the band as the singer is 75. Result. :D

In my current band I'm the oldest by some years at 47. The others are all aged between 32 and 38. I got the gig because whilst I didnt know the other guys well we drank in the same pubs and had mutual friends. We got introduced and that was that. I'd say I look much younger than my years and I have a young outlook on life (immaturity perhaps. .?), but I wonder if I'd responded to an ad without them knowing me and the subject of age came up would it have been a problem?

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1458655421' post='3009462']
Lots of 50+ saying age doesn't matter... ...but big silence from everyone under 30!
[/quote]

I don't think there is anyone under 30 on this forum, is there?? :biggrin:
If there is, well... stay off my lawn, you little bastards!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1458644222' post='3009282']
...I wanted someone who was at my level in terms of mentality...
[/quote]

Now THIS is where I tend to fall down.

(and start crying 'cos I've hurt my knee.)

As someone else said: I'm in my fifties, would love to be able to shave off 20 years and get away with it but I'm not as handsome as Discreet (it's that pants picture in my mind again) but my kids are grown up, I have a supportive wife and can afford (within reason) to spend what I like on gear etc. (which actually makes me less inclined to do so!). I have plenty of free time to devote to the band, learn new songs, get gigs, run our little website, can rehearse any day of the week etc.etc. You would think that all these things might matter to someone looking for a band member, but at the risk of crossing with another active thread, a lot of people are dreamers who don't realise how much work there is in actually running a gigging band and thus how valuable these things are.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1458655150' post='3009459']
Welcome back Stew. I think you just have to keep looking and networking. I'd resigned myself to the fact that I'd finished with bands and then one found me. This time at 70 I'm not the oldest in the band as the singer is 75. Result. :D
[/quote]Hi there - glad to hear you're still gigging and enjoying it. I'm sat here learning a Bruce Thomas bassline playing through one of your cables as we speak!

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1458656791' post='3009489']
As someone else said: I'm in my fifties, would love to be able to shave off 20 years and get away with it but I'm not as handsome as Discreet (it's that pants picture in my mind again)...
[/quote]

Of course that pic was Photoshopped to make me look good. :D And I didn't say I get away with it. Not always, anyway. ;) I'm in the same boat as you as regards free time, etc. and the problem with that is expecting everyone else in the band to be able to devote as much time as I do when they obviously can't, i.e. toddlers, two jobs, family, and on and on. This can lead to impatience on my part... as someone else said today, I probably need to be a bit more tolerant...

Edited by discreet

I think a lot of it is that JMB is full of timewasters, though I found our guitarist on there... If you're after an originals band, then they will probably want someone younger but that may depend on the genre? I consider 53 to be in your prime (but, I would cos I'm also 53) but a metal band may think it's past it. A folk-rock, blues, country or bluegrass type band might not.

Our drummer and I are both 53 but our guitarist/singer is much older (he played his first gig in 1962) and he has more energy and enthusiasm than both me and the drummer put together! It will take a while but you'll find something eventually.

[quote name='Bikenbass' timestamp='1458649837' post='3009387']
Thanks for the lovely chap reference, but I'm in my 50's! :P (Hi Dan, best wishes to you and yours.)
[/quote]

Ahhh ha ha!!!! In that case, I will add to my post "and one super bass player who was in his 50's too"!! You are of course a lovely chap too!

Well Stew, I'm right there with you. I've had a decade off and now trying to get my bones out there at 51.
Its not easy and TBH I'm not really getting much interest. Perhaps there should be a vintage and rare for musicians!

I`m 50, the drummer is 53 and the singer is 47 in our band. We`re an originals punk/oi band. Just released a 2nd album, about to have a vinyl single released by a record lable (admittedly a small one) and got a mini-tour of Germany booked for later on this year, as well as playing at a few festivals. And we`re a relatively new band, only been going for a couple of years so it`s not like we have a "name" or history to get us places. Age doesn`t count on the punk scene, loads of bands, young, old and inbetween.

My present covers band found me on BandMix at the ripe old age of 52 when they answered an ad I'd forgotten I'd placed. Four years later I'm doing more gigs than I ever have done before. Age range of the rest of the band is mid 20s to late 40s.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1458648676' post='3009366']
Ageism is still very real in music, whereas other artforms it isn't. At 60 you're not "past it" to be a painter or "past it" to be a writer.

But you know... a lot of the time it's all going back to the idea that band members should make the contents of people's pants feel funny.

It was a lot better when ugly people were allowed in bands.
[/quote]

Ugly people are allowed in bands I am a case in point!

Our originals band are all rapidly approaching 50 yet we have more promoters wanting to put us on than any band I have ever played in before.....maybe an original "Inde" band in there late 40's is in demand because we turn up on time, have reliable gear don't, pee off the sound engineer and yet still make a good noise....I suppose the best way to describe it is we are not hard work

[quote name='pmjos' timestamp='1458663677' post='3009607']
Well Stew, I'm right there with you. I've had a decade off and now trying to get my bones out there at 51.
Its not easy and TBH I'm not really getting much interest. Perhaps there should be a vintage and rare for musicians!
[/quote]
I wish you all the best. My other major problem is I'm a recovering alcoholic so don't go to pubs and therefore have lost touch with the social circle which was of course mainly comprised of musical types. Perhaps there should be a classifies for vintage, rare and sober!

After trying to find a half decent singer for the last few months, I`m convinced that the most of the people on Gumtree, JMB etc are dreamers and/or plonkers. Age is no barrier for the disillusioned.

Agree with putting an advert in yourself and don`t give up as there are some decent people out there. It`s just trying to find them!

Its the equivalent of kissing frogs to find a princess. You gotta french a lot of frogs to find the right one.

JMB , Glumtree , FartySounds , et al are littered with 12 year olds, dreamers and plonkers , as noted by jezza

Thanks for that, Rob. Yes, I'm 75 too and don't have trouble getting jazz gigs. It probably helps to look after yourself, stay tidy and (reasonably) well presented. There are some bands filled by young thrusters who wouldn't use me but I can live with that.

One thing, I'm sure that playing and the reading that I do a lot of the time keeps the brain well lubricated so the dreaded dementia is kept at bay. Who did you say you were?

72 in June - I was born on D day.
Currently playing bass in a 60s relic band plus doing singer-songwriter nights on guitar & playing guitar/singing in an r`n b band in the UK and a blues band in France when I am there.
Plenty of work out there for us oldies, yet.

I am in a similar position (62 and proficient DB, guitar and sax) but to be honest I really am not interested in playing in a band with 18-20 year olds so I am just as age ist as they are. Being in a band is mostly about the music but you also often have to hang out together! I have given up JMB long since.

There is a general trend I think among people putting bands together. They are either in their teens and twenties or 50s and 60s. The people in the middle are off making babies and bringing them up...exactly as I did. I have had a few knock backs because of my age but not worrying about it. I will travel and find band work if and when desperation arrives