Why become a member? ×

Too Old?

stewblack

Just watched this video in Bubinga5's thread, they were 54 and 63 respectively when this performance was filmed:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/281800-stevie-wonder-and-aretha-franklin/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/281800-stevie-wonder-and-aretha-franklin/[/url]

Glad I read this thread,just what I needed to get back on my bass bike so to speak.
Playing a bit is better than not playing at all.
I was late fifties when I started taking lessons and 63 now.
Time to refresh on all that theory I learnt and practice those scales again

I've just pulled off a prestigious gig for one of the bands I'm involved with to play at a country fair in the summer. I won't say where but it's all a bit top drawer. So this morning I told the Mrs that I've got a meeting with the two young events organisers next Tuesday. Her reaction was 'and what will they think when some beat up old geezer turns up?' Got me thinking.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1458986898' post='3012580']
Just watched this video in Bubinga5's thread, they were 54 and 63 respectively when this performance was filmed:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/281800-stevie-wonder-and-aretha-franklin/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/281800-stevie-wonder-and-aretha-franklin/[/url]
[/quote]

54 & 63 is not old and I don't think this thread is about gifted,once in a life time artist's like Stevie & Aretha.

Blue

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1458991448' post='3012633']
I've just pulled off a prestigious gig for one of the bands I'm involved with to play at a country fair in the summer. I won't say where but it's all a bit top drawer. So this morning I told the Mrs that I've got a meeting with the two young events organisers next Tuesday. Her reaction was 'and what will they think when some beat up old geezer turns up?' Got me thinking.
[/quote]

Don't go to the meeting with an "old' attitude.

Blue

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1458991448' post='3012633']
[/quote]

Firstly, congratulations on getting the gig.
If the two organisers know anything about the business they're in they shouldn't bat an eyelid about your age.
You should just need to make sure that they're confident that you and your band are competent to deliver.

Both bands I'm in have big age ranges.

Main band the drummer is 21 and the oldest, a gutarist, is 53 - this is rock and metal covers. Other band is 25-65, again drums and guitar bookending it. Not an issue in either but we're not in it for a career.

The age range of my current band is 40 to 43, so quite narrow...that's assuming the drummer is 40, I don't really know how old he is but he looks the same age as the rest of us. Either that or he's had a really hard life :)

There is an assumption amongst many that as soon as you're over, sort of, 35 then you can only be in a covers band. Nothing wrong with being in a covers band, I was in a great one 2 years ago, but if you want to dabble your toe in originals then it becomes more difficult.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1459017739' post='3012949']
The age range of my current band is 40 to 43, so quite narrow...that's assuming the drummer is 40, I don't really know how old he is but he looks the same age as the rest of us. Either that or he's had a really hard life :)

There is an assumption amongst many that as soon as you're over, sort of, 35 then you can only be in a covers band. Nothing wrong with being in a covers band, I was in a great one 2 years ago, but if you want to dabble your toe in originals then it becomes more difficult.
[/quote]

More of an outlet for those that have that originals creative bug. And in Milwaukee an opportunity to make no money.

Blue

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1459017739' post='3012949']

[/quote]
I'm 51, as is my singer, drummer late 50's, lead guitar late 20's and rhythm guitar/vocals is 16. We'Re a blues band, although we have a fairly diverse take on that. More importantly, we've just written our first three songs which will be in the set for the next gig :)

[quote name='stewblack' timestamp='1458643681' post='3009272']
So, I've been away from Basschat for a while, been away from the bass for a while too. I suffered a shoulder injury and left my last band when the pain of playing outweighed the pleasure. A couple of years later and having healed I decided to get back on the horse. Seems a shame to waste all those years of experience.
Having slipped off the radar as far as networking is concerned I've gone down the Join My Band.com route and have noticed a worrying trend. I've answered a lot of ads, had a lot of interesting conversations via the private messaging service until I mention my age (53) and every single one without exception has simply stopped communicating with me.
Is there a cut off point where decades of experience ceases to be an attractive quality and people only see you as 'passed it'? Am I at the tender age of 53 on the scrap heap? Is there an alternative to JMB.com where the users are less concerned about grey hair and love handles?
[/quote]
in a word, No
jmb seems to me to be choc full of pretence and self obsession
as LDTF says, in respect of on line small ads, let the bands come to you - otherwise go out to them, go check out the local bands who you like and could see yourself playing for and get your name and experience 'known'

facebook seems a reasonable option for groups advertising for musicians, also check out local websites to you that might be live music gig listings but also have forum boards or other sections - until recently we had a local website called kentgigs - youd think at first glance that it was just a gig listing website, but delve into it and it was a massive resource for local musicians including a small ads listing for kent musicians which always seemed infinitely preferrable to anything up on JMB

It is easier then you think to rally up some blokes in their 40's or 50's and start jamming. Many many people are "used to be in a band" types who would love to play again but somehow have been too busy having jobs and kids through their thirties. A lot also have kids that are old enough to look after themselves while daddy is off rehearsing and having laughs with the band.

The only thing that needs to be done is connecting with those musicians. Jamsessions are indeed a good startingpoint.

There are plenty of older players out there, so it's just a matter of finding and connecting with them. I'm in my mid-50s and have just started a new covers/tribute band project through JoinMyBand.

When I placed the ad on JMB, I was up-front about my age but I guess another thing that may have helped is that my project is very biased towards 80s music - so has appealed to people of "a certain age". :)

I recently left another 5-piece band where the lead guitarist was in his mid-60s and the only band member younger than me was the singer - still in his 20s - so I think the definition of what age is "too old" has to be a personal thing where each of us decides for ourselves when we feel we're ready to call it a day with the band activities.

Edited by Krysbass

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1459064327' post='3013172']
in a word, No
jmb seems to me to be choc full of pretence and self obsession
as LDTF says, in respect of on line small ads, let the bands come to you - otherwise go out to them, go check out the local bands who you like and could see yourself playing for and get your name and experience 'known'

facebook seems a reasonable option for groups advertising for musicians, also check out local websites to you that might be live music gig listings but also have forum boards or other sections - until recently we had a local website called kentgigs - youd think at first glance that it was just a gig listing website, but delve into it and it was a massive resource for local musicians including a small ads listing for kent musicians which always seemed infinitely preferable to anything up on JMB
[/quote]
Thank you for your response to my OP.
Back in the day I was part of a vibrant small town music scene with links to Bath and Bristol but my contacts have moved on, given up, venues are gone, and so it goes. I had contacts in Portsmouth which has a phenomenal live music scene with many pubs and clubs and other venues attracting lively crowds and I used to commute the two hours to do gigs in a Pompey based band quite happily but I don't fancy the traffic and sleeping in lay-bys any more - age does come with certain compromises.
I shall advertise myself as suggested and try to find a jam night in one of the nearby cities.

I quit my band this month.I couldn't commit to the gig schedule as I have a family and I cannot always get time off of work to gig.
I was the oldest at 47.All the rest ranged in age from 29 to 35.
We all got along very well due to a shared sense of humour,but sometimes I did feel like the odd man out due to my age,although nobody ever made a comment that I looked out of place.
Would I do it again?Well,in due course I may do so,but only playing original material,and doing 1 gig a month,but I fear that finding a band of musicians around my age who wish to do as much(or should that be little)performance of original songs may be hard.
There is no maximum physical age to playing,only the constraints that we place on ourselves,be they actual or imaginary.

I'm 63, been gigging since I was 12.

My band plays about 75 shows a year 70s style hard rock and progressive blues.

53 is nowhere near old. You have to deside what you want to do and if it's realistic.

Your location will be a crucial factor.

Blue

Edited by blue

Ask around at work (the footy / down the pub etc). A year or so ago, I decided to put a talent show type thing on to raise money for charity. I sent an email around at work asking for volunteer musicians and was amazed at how many people played instruments.