Why become a member? ×

For a 'standard' bass, when do the improvements stop?

timmyo

Something I've been wondering about - for a standard construction type bass (solid, twin cutaway body, bolt-on neck, fretted, standard scale length, 4 or 5 string, you know your common P/J/MM type affair) how far do we need to go before we stop seeing playability or sonic improvements ?

Assume for a moment that whatever the cost/source/sophistication/brand that we are prepared to get a damn good setter-upper to set it up, what is inherent in the way these things are made that mean one price point gets you something inherently and measurable 'better'

I'm guessing wood, hardware, pickups, neck profile you like - so when does about a grands worth of Warmoth that's been well set up start to get beat by a <insert brand or luthier here> of similar standard construction ? Or does it? Or does the slope level off much further down the price range than that?

Interested to hear people's thoughts or experiences...

ta
Tim

As with all things, there's the law of diminishing returns. a £1000 bass will be LOADS better than a £200 bass, but a £2000 will be noticably better than a £1000 bass.

A bad setup can kill any bass stone dead, no matter what it is, but everyone's threshold is different. Some people might not appreciate the difference between, say, a MIM Fender P and a custom shop one, and others wouldn't touch anything less than that and consider that their bottom rung.

Complex question with not a single, simple answer.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1458577592' post='3008757']
Improvements stop as soon as you're happy with your bass.
[/quote]

Nail firmly struck on head.

This question is quite a common theme, I think this answer should be kept to hand for future use :)

I've been playing bass for about 45 years now, and to me a US standard fender is as good as it gets. I find a small but significant improvement from Squire to Mexican Fender to US Fender (not being snobbish, I have and gig all three) but have never played anything more expensive than a US Fender. Never felt the need to, either, there is simply nothing I would want to improve.

If your bass has a decent straight neck and low action, then irrespective of the price, I think you can sort most of the sound out externally either with your amp or an effects box like a Bass V-amp. I certainly don't agree that a US Fender is the ultimate! I have played some dogs out of that stable. When I got my present Jazz 5 string it was almost unplayable and needed a shim to get the neck angle right.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1458575774' post='3008731']
As with all things, there's the law of diminishing returns. a £1000 bass will be LOADS better than a £200 bass, but a £2000 will be noticably better than a £1000 bass.

A bad setup can kill any bass stone dead, no matter what it is, but everyone's threshold is different. Some people might not appreciate the difference between, say, a MIM Fender P and a custom shop one, and others wouldn't touch anything less than that and consider that their bottom rung.

Complex question with not a single, simple answer.
[/quote]

Well put - if you've got £10,000 pounds to spend on a bass then why buy the £1000 one ? You get the £2000 one.

The question's complex indeed - it very much depends on how much you think things are worth and that's very subjective.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1458588570' post='3008915']
have never played anything more expensive than a US Fender. Never felt the need to, either, there is simply nothing I would want to improve.
[/quote]
I'd advise not doing so, otherwise you'll go "HOLY CRAP THERE'S THIS WHOLE OTHER LEVEL HERE" and get lost down the rabbit hole like a lot of us.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1458575578' post='3008729']
I sound roughly the same whatever I play.
[/quote]

Yep, i'm the same here. That's the reason why i turned my attention to Yamahas, they have "my tone" straight out without any messing in EQ knobs. The added bonus is that i don't need to shed 2k+ on a bass that will need EQ to sound the way i like.

On the OP, for me the playability of a bass is down to a few factors:
Weight - it needs to be comfortable
Action - Needs a low action to be played without effort
Neck profile - needs to fit the hand without it getting tired and allow to play fast lines
Electronics - Each to his own, having the right "plug-in tone" will make life easier

Overall a bass needs to sound like you want without too much trouble EQing and needs to be comfortable enough to let you play for hours and hours without physical harm to your body. Everything else is just bling to draw attention.

From my experience, no bass / guitar is worth more than £1500 - I spent £3000 on a PRS and there was no improvement between that and a £1500 Yamaha (from a Player's perspective).

If you bring 'Art' into it, then I would pay more for a particularly nice Facing or Paintjob etc...but that's 'Art'.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1458649003' post='3009372']
I'd advise not doing so, otherwise you'll go "HOLY CRAP THERE'S THIS WHOLE OTHER LEVEL HERE" and get lost down the rabbit hole like a lot of us.
[/quote]

I don't think there's much danger of that, I've long been aware that my ability is far lower than that of my basses.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1458650050' post='3009389']
Yep, i'm the same here. That's the reason why i turned my attention to Yamahas, they have "my tone" straight out without any messing in EQ knobs. The added bonus is that i don't need to shed 2k+ on a bass that will need EQ to sound the way i like.

On the OP, for me the playability of a bass is down to a few factors:
Weight - it needs to be comfortable
Action - Needs a low action to be played without effort
Neck profile - needs to fit the hand without it getting tired and allow to play fast lines
Electronics - Each to his own, having the right "plug-in tone" will make life easier

Overall a bass needs to sound like you want without too much trouble EQing and needs to be comfortable enough to let you play for hours and hours without physical harm to your body. Everything else is just bling to draw attention.
[/quote]

Interesting - thanks