Why become a member? ×

NBD - American Deluxe Fender Jazz Bass V

thebassist

Got this beauty today. My personal experience is that a B on a Fender V is generally pretty floppy but this one is refreshingly good.

[URL=http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/minuspilots/media/4_zpstoo8hzgj.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag101/minuspilots/4_zpstoo8hzgj.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1458597878' post='3009034']
It is actually pretty bad that I keep buying the same bass.
[/quote]

Not at all - I seem to be amassing a collection of black/black/maple Precisions. Only my Jazz is slightly different, black/tort/maple.

Not as bad as continually buying Jazz basses knowing full well I won't get on with them, then moving them on at a loss. When will I learn? I DON'T GET ON WITH JAZZ NECKS! But I do like the Jazz sound, however... I need a Jazz with a P neck. Or a P with Jazz pickups. Or something.

I had a Jazz with a P neck for years, it was the only neck I had at the time, but it worked really well for me. Tim Commerford from Rage Against The Machine used Jazz basses with P necks before moving to Laklands.

Posted Yesterday, 11:29 PM
Not as bad as continually buying Jazz basses knowing full well I won't get on with them, then moving them on at a loss. When will I learn? I DON'T GET ON WITH JAZZ NECKS! But I do like the Jazz sound, however... I need a Jazz with a P neck. Or a P with Jazz pickups. Or something.

The post 2012 Jazzes have a nice deep neck Mark, I was nicely surprised when I got mine as am pretty much the same as you in this respect.

I think Fender Jazz Basses are incredibly hit and miss though - I've played loads of post-2012 American Standards now and I'd say the hit rate is around 1 in 5 for finding a good one and maybe 1 in 15 for one I'd actually buy. Whenever i go to Absolute Music in Poole, I always grab their US Standards and am always amazed at how Fender can make the same model bass with such big differences in feel, weight and sound.

I played a red/RW, OW/RW, black/RW and 3TSB/RW US Standard a couple of Sunday's back and I'd personally class all four as duds.

The OW/RW, red/RW and black/RW all sounded a bit rubbish while the 3TSB/RW sounded great but weighed 11lb 4oz. Thankfully the gent who bought my 2013 US Standard kindly agreed to sell my old bass back to me.

A whole other discussion but I acknowledge that other companys make Super Jazzes that could be a lot better and will almost certainly have a better hit rate... but for me, and I'm aware this will be ridiculous to a lot of people, I need the word Fender on the headsock of a Jazz Bass :)

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1458636768' post='3009207']
I think Fender Jazz Basses are incredibly hit and miss though - I've played loads of post-2012 American Standards now and I'd say the hit rate is around 1 in 5 for finding a good one and maybe 1 in 15 for one I'd actually buy. Whenever i go to Absolute Music in Poole, I always grab their US Standards and am always amazed at how Fender can make the same model bass with such big differences in feel, weight and sound.

I played a red/RW, OW/RW, black/RW and 3TSB/RW US Standard a couple of Sunday's back and I'd personally class all four as duds.

The OW/RW, red/RW and black/RW all sounded a bit rubbish while the 3TSB/RW sounded great but weighed 11lb 4oz. Thankfully the gent who bought my 2013 US Standard kindly agreed to sell my old bass back to me.
[/quote]

Love my American Deluxe V. Got the same model, just in black with a maple fretboard. It's the only bass I've ever felt I would never part with. I've wanted the sunburst model for years, but never had the money when I've seen them come up second hand.

I've always found every American deluxe 5 string I've played has been great (the 2010-2015 model). Some of them need a good set up, but you can tell the underlying quality of the bass is great.

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1458637162' post='3009208']
A whole other discussion but I acknowledge that other companys make Super Jazzes that could be a lot better and will almost certainly have a better hit rate... but for me, and I'm aware this will be ridiculous to a lot of people, I need the word Fender on the headsock of a Jazz Bass :)
[/quote]

Agree, I need the word Fender on the headstock of whatever bass I`m playing, be it Precision or Jazz. Daft I know, but I just can`t get away from it.

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1458636768' post='3009207']

[/quote]

Here is your problem - the OW/maple are the best sounding American Standards.