Why become a member? ×

Waiting

ARGH

Ok,I have a condition called impatiance,and its driving me mad,I REALLY REALLY want my 9...like yesterday,and I know the timescale now till completion,and its like rehab or something. I was just wondering if anyone has any tips to stave off the symptoms,being such as vocalizations (" I want my 9" "Why is it taking soooooo long") shaking,high pulse whenever I see exotic woods or pictures/vids or ERB players,constant noodling and downtuning of my fretless's B string.

Any tips to stave off the cravings?

I touched the fingerboard yesterday.....ohhh..(faints)

Guest Bald Eagle

Try and get an appointment on the NHS for it, then waiting for a bass will seem lightning quick by comparison :)

Edited by Bald Eagle

Bit of a change of direction but when your much sought after and long awaited bit of new kit arrives - do you ever get that strange feeling after you've had it home for 20 mins that you've had it for ages.

Always happens to me , wondered if anyone else is the same.

[quote name='ARGH' post='30197' date='Jul 11 2007, 10:36 AM']So im doomed for the next 2 months.[/quote]

2 months? [size=3]2 months?[/size] pah! Mine won't be done till October/November time and yes, I would love to know of a cure as I'm going rapidly around the bend :) :huh:

[quote name='Rich' post='30194' date='Jul 11 2007, 10:30 AM']I know what you're talking about, and I'm afraid there is no cure. Nothing. Sorry.
The night before you go pick it up is the worst. You won't sleep a wink. I didn't. :)[/quote]

Absolutely so true! That was a night to remember! I could not sleep! Doodle took 9 months to complete, not including the extra four months I took in designing, long before saw touched wood.

9 months.. you really could call that a 'birth' of a new bass!

[quote name='ARGH' post='30542' date='Jul 12 2007, 06:28 AM']Well mines going to be 7 months in total....[/quote]
Ah, I see your point and feel your pain.

In all honesty, I'm not doing too bad with it. It's a deliberate effort to remain patient mind you, it certainly doesn't come naturally. :)

[quote name='ARGH' post='30162' date='Jul 11 2007, 09:39 AM']Any tips to stave off the cravings?[/quote]

First of all make up a simple bass riff that you want to play on it, and then hum it all the time - D would be a good key.

Hum the bass riff to everyone you meet and ask them if they know it.

You can then make abstract drawings of it and pin them around your house.

Then you can progress to making a scale model out of it with mashed potato.

Then build a full scale model of it in your front room by ripping apart the rest of your furniture and salvaging the wood.

You should then visualise the bass on top of a mountain which you have to climb whilst being chased by security guards and helicopters.

This should all make the long weeks and months fly by - I think someone even made a film about it :)

Hamster

no cure I'm afraid - and, from my experience, custom builders are (probably rightly) notoriously known for 'under' estimating delivery times! Both my GBs were originally quoted as 2/3 month builds - the first took 10, the second was a couple of weeks short of a year (a previous build from John Diggins also suffered the same delay) - but they are definately worth the wait!!!

Cheers
Dave

Edited by pnefc42

Similar problem waiting for my new Jazz bass, ishibashi said they'd shipped it today and the tracking site says it went through tokyo at 1800 japan time, it's not here yet, then?

My ways of helping me wait are order a new shiny nokia n95 phone as well! another thing to anticipate, ale, my girlfriends bottle of Rosé last night, f***ing about with ampeg svx and working lunch.

And Lydian, its most exciting, it has a 4th what moves over one a bit.

Edited by jay249

Best thing to do is take up residence in the luthier's workshop and just sit there, all day, every day,
chanting "Is it nearly done yet, is it nearly done yet, is it nearly done yet , is it nearly done yet" quietly to yourself whilst rocking gently back and forth, gripping a chisel.....

Guest Bald Eagle

QUOTE(ARGH @ Jul 12 2007, 05:55 PM)
The longest time for a build comes from Carl Thompson....was ment to be a year...ended up being 4 of them!

IT WAS WORTH IT.

[quote name='OldGit' post='30994' date='Jul 12 2007, 11:14 PM']ooooh what's THAT like?[/quote]

48 months? :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='30991' date='Jul 12 2007, 11:14 PM']Best thing to do is take up residence in the luthier's workshop and just sit there, all day, every day,
chanting "Is it nearly done yet, is it nearly done yet, is it nearly done yet , is it nearly done yet" quietly to yourself whilst rocking gently back and forth, gripping a chisel.....[/quote]

Trust me Jim would just make me glue stuff,or hoover up or something.

The 4 year wait for the Carl Thompson,was Jims 6 string Fretless,36" scale,and yeah it was THAT FC+%ING good an instrument,woodwork..the bass has like best bridge you have ever seen ebony top...random woods.

Proof enough that wood dosent mean much squat when it comes to instruments tone,the Bass strings B was and is amazing.