Why become a member? ×

Trying to look a little more cheerful on stage :-/

Deedee

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1458541019' post='3008340']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Though I must admit, I played a private boat party yesterday for a load of charming theatre lovelies, and the ever-fragrant Juliet Stevenson was bopping about, and I strongly suspect I was grinning like a fool. [/font][/color]
[/quote]

Great story! Like that poetic turn of phrase 'ever-fragrant' too...

I always look forward to making music; gigging, rehearsing and very occasionally, recording - it's the whole point of playing the bass for me.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy playing bass on its own, but it's so much more fun playing with other musicians and especially so, if there's an audience there to play for/to.

Having said that, I still suffer from an acute and almost untreatable case of 'bass face'. After nearly 40 years of playing, a cure is out of the question, so I guess the only solution is to buy some T-shirts that say 'I'm smiling on the inside', or words to that effect.

It's all an act, though most acting is taking something already in yourself and building on it. Artificial smiles are not easy to make look good but movement helps make you look engaged. If you tap your feet anyway then emphasize the movement maybe, dance a little if that is something you are comfortable with. Maybe something as simple as exchanging a few words with other band members between songs, or even a glance and a smile during songs will make you seem more animated.

We're all different, I found playing bass behind my head, dropping my Line 6 radio link on the floor and scrabbling around at the singer's feet looking for the batteries got a lot of attention. Maybe not though :)

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1458529147' post='3008333']
I find it boring and I hate every second of it... Seriously, I hate playing most gigs...
[/quote]

Er... do something else..? Life's too short to be gigging if you don't like it. :)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1458551003' post='3008397']
Yes neither of them will have any idea what your talking about.. :mellow:
[/quote]

:lol: Actually it's a good point. Does it mean that bass players under 45 are too busy to join a bass forum and that bass players over 45 are kind of semi-retired and have way too much time on their hands?? ;)

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1458477045' post='3007848']
Next time somebody says that ask them if they smile constantly when they are doing their job.
[/quote]

yes :)

I have the same problem as the OP, in that I never seem to smile when playing
I've never had anyone walk up to me and tell me at, or after a gig though
I've just noticed it myself, looking at pics of me playing

And since I started to play the DB, where online lessons tell you to start practicing DB in front of a mirror
Mrs S has also commented, and said I just look like I'm concentrating. I've tried to smile more, but because I'm actively [i]trying [/i]to smile, I think it looks forced and I'm also putting myself off lol

What's the answer? I don't know. But I think if punters were telling me I looked miserable, or like I was going to jump offstage & punch someone....... I think I'd be more worried.......

Maybe practice at home, in front of a mirror, and try an assortment of expressions? :)

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1458551547' post='3008403']
Maybe practice at home, in front of a mirror, and try an assortment of expressions? :)
[/quote]

That way lies madness. I don't think you should be smiling if you're not feeling it. I left a really well-paid job in a function band because all the false smiling and 'everybody clap' -type stuff really got to me in the end. I'm happy to leave all that to the frontsperson (or people). That's their job. I find deliberate smiling and dancing about just detracts from my playing - which is more important..?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1458553142' post='3008423']
Nah, it's concentration and indigestion.
[/quote]

Yes, been there :)
Had a bit of a scare last friday at our gig, started to get cramps in my plucking fingers, luckily it was the last song and so just used a pick and was able to hold it without any cramps.
Showing my age maybe, it was only an hour or so set. I usually practice 2-3 times a week with various bands so you'd think the muscles were used to it. Maybe I was digging in more as it was a wild one :)

Haven't read all the thread yet.
I've always moved around , doing rock poses etc.
Just for a laugh. Probably just as well , I didn't play a fretless or 5 string live :)
Most times I've gigged, people have always remarked how much I enjoyed myself.

Thing is , even if I was bored ( one man and his deaf dog etc) I still bounced about with nervous enthusiasm , giving the impression I was not ;)

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1458554546' post='3008439']
Thing is , even if I was bored ( one man and his deaf dog etc) I still bounced about with nervous enthusiasm , giving the impression I was not ;)
[/quote]

When I was gigging I always lacked the two essentials to do this - nerves & enthusiasm.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1458555125' post='3008447']
When I was gigging I always lacked the two essentials to do this - nerves & enthusiasm.
[/quote]

Same with me now.
But I'm more enthusiastic about the music of the new band I'm in, hopefully stage action will improve.
The first gig I was too busy trying to hear the guitarist and remember the songs (I did better than the guitarist at that).

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1458551834' post='3008406']

That way lies madness. I don't think you should be smiling if you're not feeling it. I left a really well-paid job in a function band because all the false smiling and 'everybody clap' -type stuff really got to me in the end. I'm happy to leave all that to the frontsperson (or people). That's their job. I find deliberate smiling and dancing about just detracts from my playing - which is more important..?
[/quote]

Ignore this.

Definitely do it in front of a mirror. Video it and put it on YouTube so we can all help you pick the right expression.

We all, sincerely, promise we want to help you. We won't laugh.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1458560808' post='3008519']
Pics, or your buffoonery didn't happen! :D
[/quote]

There are no photos of me smiling! :D Actually there are loads but I hate them and they send me into a spirally pit of despair and self loathing.

Therefore I will not be posting them for your amusement :D

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1458559209' post='3008505']

The first gig I was too busy trying to hear the guitarist and remember the songs (I did better than the guitarist at that).
[/quote]This, it's very difficult to move around and not look at the fret board unless you're really familiar with the songs

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1458561212' post='3008525']
There are no photos of me smiling! :D Actually there are loads but I hate them and they send me into a spirally pit of despair and self loathing.
Therefore I will not be posting them for your amusement :D
[/quote]

Aww! But that's the best amusement there is! :mellow:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1458551541' post='3008402']
Er... do something else..? Life's too short to be gigging if you don't like it. :)

[/quote]

Luckily, we don't do many. It's the pub gigs I tend not to like, always found them to be more trouble than they're worth. Festivals are ok, mainly because I can turn up, play through whatever rig is provided and bugger off straight afterwards. Much more my kind of thing....