Why become a member? ×

I'll be there for you by the Rembrandts ,go stuck it up your Arsenal mate

kevvo66

At the end of the day we are entertainers being paid to entertain. I cant stand many of the songs we do but dont keep moaning about them.
When I see the crowd all bopping about and singing along, I know we are doing a good job.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1458390148' post='3007169']
At the end of the day we are entertainers being paid to entertain. I cant stand many of the songs we do but dont keep moaning about them.
When I see the crowd all bopping about and singing along, I know we are doing a good job.
[/quote]

This. Most working musicians have to play music they wouldn't naturally choose at one time or another. There was at least one (and usually more) in every set in every band I ever played in.

If you're getting paid actual money to do it and the people paying the money are happy with it then bite your lip and deal with it or find a different pastime. Seriously.

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1458380165' post='3007055']
I was on a residential songwriting course last year & on the first evening somebody mentioned "Walking on Sunshine", which was the cue for me to go off into my usual rant about how much I hated that song.
What I didn't realise at the time was that one of the women on the course was the wife of Kimberley Rew, the guy that wrote it....
[/quote]

Ha Ha Haaa! Digging yourself in deeper and deeper! I introduced them.

He also wrote "shine a light" which was one of our ill-fated Eurovision songs (and YES he is embarrassed by it) and had a couple of cuts on the last Celine Dion album.
The man can really turn out a catchy pop song and happily makes a very decent living from it.
He also happens to be a very nice bloke.

And SHE incidentally is a rather good bass player.

Edited by ivansc

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1458463375' post='3007689']

He also wrote "shine a light" which was one of our ill-fated Eurovision songs (and YES he is embarrassed by it) and had a couple of cuts on the last Celine Dion album.
The man can really turn out a catchy pop song and happily makes a very decent living from it.

[/quote]

She is a very good bass player indeed, and a lovely person too.

I was aware of Kimberley anyway because of his work with the Softboys, and yes he is a very good writer.

The thing I was most impressed with was that she knew Matthew Seligman, who is one of my favourite bass players.

I'd love to get over to Cambridge sometime to see her band Gig-l - I met Claudia & Christine too & they were great.

A long time ago, I was whistling the theme tune to friends . My sister heard me; ' do you watch friends ?' Embarrassing at the time ;)
I don't mind it TBH .
Walking on sunshine on the other hand = dark clouds / burning with hatred etc.

Had a conversation about the manics the other night . I hate them . Design for life probably tops the hatred list for me .

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1458463375' post='3007689']

[/quote]
I was going to say something but when the good Mr Ivan here beats me to it, and knows far more than me, I can't really say owt ;)

I don't mind "Walking on Sunshine" as I have many vague memories of drunkenly dancing to it as a student.

That Rembrandt's song needs to be bombed from space. I loathe "Friends" and everything to do with it, so it's damned by association as well as being really sodding annoying!

I think it's a jolly pop song.

I've played it before and audiences like it, a lot. Any song that causes such a positive response would always be on my list of songs to do.

I don't see why people should rant about songs they play in cover bands. Every song you play to an audience should be your best performance.

A cover band isn't about personal favourites, it's about the business of entertaining an audience.

[quote name='Sausages' timestamp='1458591059' post='3008955']
Is "I'll Be There For You" more or less annoying than "The Big Bang Theory Theme Song"? My head might explode whilst I try to decide :unsure:
[/quote]

They're both completely sh*t IMO, but "I'll Be There For You" is worse because of it's horrible, chummy, happy-clappy, infantile best buds forever lyrics.
I f***ing hated "Friends" with a passion too.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1458561446' post='3008528']

I've played it before and audiences like it, a lot. Any song that causes such a positive response would always be on my list of songs to do.

I don't see why people should rant about songs they play in cover bands. Every song you play to an audience should be your best performance.

A cover band isn't about personal favourites, it's about the business of entertaining an audience.
[/quote]

+1

I currently play in several cover bands.
I've played in cover bands for most of my 36 years as a musician.

I can honestly say that I haven't liked any of the songs enough to listen to them outside of the band setting - even the one's I suggest we cover.

There's a compromise between playing what you like and keeping an audience engaged, and if you go too far you're going to struggle to get repeat bookings.

Personally, I'd much rather play Mustang Sally to a room full of people shouting 'RIDE SALLY RIDE' at the top of their voices than a 'personal favourite' that people aren't interested in hearing.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1458561446' post='3008528']

[/quote]

Spot on Chris. In covers bands gone by some of the songs that went down the best were some of the songs I disliked the most - shows my taste counts for zero - but they were in because the audiences liked them. Coincidentally some of the songs we as the band preferred and tried out didn`t work that well, even though we played them fairly decently enough.

Never played it, but it has been suggested. It seriously cannot be worse than playing How you Remind Me. I wanted to use my veto on this but to be honest it goes down so well I agreed to keep it in the set.