Why become a member? ×

Songs that make you blub

UglyDog

The first time I heard this I was absolutely howling. Very much a cathartic thing though, I had a lot bottled up at the time and for some reason this beautiful little song activated the release valve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzniwnjXFws

This one is the soundtrack to a special part of my life - it reminds me of a special person from years ago, and an aching teenage love that could never have been. Still find it difficult to listen to now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aMX8xURgjg

I don't do much blubbing but these give pause for thought.

I've Been Loving You Too Long - massive vocal from Otis Redding

There was a tv programme a few years ago called F1 The Killer Years, they played Put a Candle In The Window by CCR over the end credits - it didn't help lighten the mood.

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1458230135' post='3005816']
The other one is Elgar's "Nimrod" from the Enigma Variations -- I have no idea why this chokes me up, but it just does. The crescendo at the end, gets me every time without fail.
[/quote]

As beautiful as Nimrod is, it's actually another piece by Elgar that does it for me - Sospiri (op70). It is, simply put, 5 minutes of sublime beauty in aural form. Deeply moving and ultimately uplifting, you need to hear this if you haven't already: https://youtu.be/YI1I1EHSVhA

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1458234838' post='3005886']
[size=5][b]And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda by Eric Boyle[/b][/size]

[i]<snip>[/i]

[/quote]Good call. They used it at the end of The Beach, the film of the book by Nevile Shute, as the sub leaves harbour for the last time.

Edited by Rich
quote edited for length

Cats in the cradle too, same sentiment really, makes me dwell on being either at work or ill and tired and badically not giving my boys all they deserve.... :(
Think the songs fairly mediocre and not by any means a track i rate, but the lyrics, the concept haunts me.....

What does cheer me up no end, at high volume, again same reasons is reeling in the years by steely dan, fantastic tune.

Edited by Wonky2

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1458234838' post='3005886']
[size=5][b]And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda by Eric Boyle[/b][/size]
[/quote]

Thanks, I've learned something today - I'd only ever heard the Pogues version on 'Rum, Sodomy and the Lash', and I hadn't realised it was a cover.
Absolutely amazing song - I'll go and hunt out the original.

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1458237771' post='3005925']
Bonnie Raitt "I can't Make You Love Me"...Absolute Class.
[/quote]
Oh god, how I recall first hearing that song. I was nursing a broken heart after recently being dumped by a lady I adored, and then this damn song came on the radio and pressed every single button. I recall crying so hard that it physically hurt.
[quote]Don't make me blub, but a very moving tune from Luther Vandross "Dance With My Father".
[/quote]
I've always found this moving, but since losing my dad last year I simply cannot bear to listen to it.

In a similar vein to Waltzing Matilda, there's this. Shores of Normandy by Jim Radford. The song starts at 1:30ish.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsVQMfxIfks[/media]