Why become a member? ×

Basswood.. should i be scared? Cv60s bridge question too

thebuckets

Basswood has a great even tone across the strings and I really like it. People say stupid stuff about it like "it's the cheapest timber" etc. The only thing I would mention is that it's soft, so it can ding/scratch up easily, but it's structurally sound.

I had a Basswood Superstrat for 3 years and you could see indentations where it had been sitting in it's stand (the metal has started to come through the foam).

Strange thing about basswood is Saxon & Viking warriors used Linden wood for their shields and Linden is another name for basswood.It's hardly balsa no matter what some claims are.
The few basswood bodies I have are standing just as well as the chipped & dented mahogany,poplar,ash and alder basses here.

Another thing is nobody with £2500 Steve Vai JEM guitars complain about it.

I'd say nothing to fear from basswood.

Nothing to fear, it'll dent fairly easily (compared to the alternatives) if the bass takes a knock, as it's a pretty soft wood, but that's not really an issue unless you're very clumsy! It will also be comparatively lightweight, which you may or may not like.

Edited by Manton Customs

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1458074377' post='3004511']
Bass wood is cool. I have a MIJ, Silver Series Squier Jazz Bass it as tough as any other bass I've owned and has a great sound.
[/quote]
My first bass was a silver series p. Wish id never sold it. Didnt know it was basswood. Happy days

The CV 60s hi mass bridge has 20mm string spacing and different mounting holes to a standard BBOT. The screws holes are slightly wider apart and would need to be filled and redrilled. It's very annoying, I don't know why they did this.

I had a MIJ P Bass which was basswood and was used on and off for a good 10+ years. No worries at all. It did get two dints in the front (hardly noticeable) but they could have happened just as easily to any wood.

I have two Bongos - both sound superb.

Apparently, Basswood is quite a good starting point for a neutral tone if you are interested in the whole tonewood discussion.

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1458116652' post='3004763']
The CV 60s hi mass bridge has 20mm string spacing and different mounting holes to a standard BBOT. The screws holes are slightly wider apart and would need to be filled and redrilled. It's very annoying, I don't know why they did this.
[/quote]

This is not the case, or at least not on my CVP and CV Jazz. Both took a BBOT, and then a Gotoh 201 without any need for drilling or filling. The holes are very slightly, and i mean [i]very[/i] slightly different, but neither of my basses needed any re drilling or filling. Maybe not all CV's are the same.

Hmm, that's interesting. The hi mass bridge with brass saddles on my Squier Matt Freeman (which I thought was the same as a CV 60) definitely isn't interchangeable with a BBOT. I know because I tried! The centres of the two outer holes are 75mm apart compared with 70mm for a BBOT. You could just about squeeze screws into the inner two holes which are about 1mm out but the outers would definitely need drilling. Maybe the CV 60 has a different bridge with 19mm spacing instead of 20mm?

Edited by ikay

The bridge in the pic with brass saddles is the same as mine and clearly wider than the BBOT. I can only assume you succeeded in screwing the BBOT into the same holes as the basswood is so soft! It didn't work for me, but I wasn't happy with the 2.5mm displacement each end so didn't try and force it. It clearly is possible as you've done it! Here are a couple of pics showing the outer hole measurements - 75mm for the Squier bridge and 70mm for the standard 19mm spacing Wilkinson.
[attachment=214820:022.jpg][attachment=214821:024.jpg]

I think the fact that the BBOST isn't as wide as the HM bridge isn't an indication of the hole spacing. The first time the bridge on my CVP was changed I got thre Gallery to do it, as I had read that it wasn't a streight swap.
They were the ones that put their BBOT on for me.
I was very surprised when I took the BBOT off to put the Gotoh on and saw the same holes had been used. I don't think they would have done this if it had been the wrong way of doing it.
I suppose the outer screws might be at a very, very slight angle but the edges of the holes are not damaged or enlarged, and all 5 screws are screws down flush.

There are others that have done this over on Talkbass, I'm not the only one.

Maybe Squier change something over the years. Mine were brought very early on.

Edited by dave_bass5

Hmm this is a bit weird, I'm not the only one either! - [url="https://www.talkbass.com/threads/squier-cv-bridge-mounting-screw-hole-spacing.1029797/"]https://www.talkbass...pacing.1029797/[/url]
Although there are plenty of other posts on TB that say the holes line up exactly!
Best advice the OP is probably to check measurements on the bass he's thinking of buying

Edited by ikay

Ah basswood.My VM P is basswood and its great, light weight and sounds good too..BUT its soft as hell. When I changed the bridge I had to make sure to put slivers of wood taken from an old floorboard to give the screws some bite cause without it they just would not tighten up nicely...sfine now, and one of my fav basses of all time very resonant.

One of the early posters was right. The English name for it is Linden, the Anerican name is basswood (pronounced like the fish not the instrument).

I now only have Linden basses because of the weight.

Edited by Chienmortbb