Why become a member? ×

Peavey miniMax head. Anyone tried one?

Philverado

Anyone got any input as to whether this is a 'too good to be true' story?
The thing looks very sensibly priced if it's not complete tosh.
The long and short of it is that I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a lightweight head and move on my rack gear.
Any input welcome, especially if you can shed light on how it compares vs markbass lm3 or lm800.

Mine was delivered yesterday. Unbox ed a5 practice...quickly adjusted for some grunty rock & off we went! It's a wee beast! I will have a lot more playing about with it over the next few days but with the features it has it will just be time that determines if it is reliable..but so far massive thumbs up!😊

Looking forward to reading your review. I've always rated Peavey kit as being very road-worthy. I've had the 115 & 210 cabs with the Max 450 & 160 heads. All good build quality & never a hiccup.

At 68 I appreciate modern lightweight kit so this could be a future purchase for me.

Edited by grandad

[quote name='Philverado' timestamp='1458002630' post='3003888']
Anyone got any input as to whether this is a 'too good to be true' story?
The thing looks very sensibly priced if it's not complete tosh.
[/quote]

The one I heard at NAMM this year sounded good, for being at NAMM at least.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/daddalziel/albums/72157665868651412/with/25234601984/

I won't get a chance to play loud again until Sunday morning but at low volume & practice,this is what I have so far. I will copy some bits from the manual for clarity. The amp is small & compact but has a good weight to it, by that I mean it feels sturdy & won't move off the cab when playing. It feels very well built. The controls are simple to look at & simple to use. The Gain has a button underneath TT BOOST SWITCH This TransTube® crunch circuit is designed so that the volume of the amp will not change when the boost is switched on, but the distortion level will increase depending on the level of the GAIN knob. For best results, first set the distortion amount by adjusting the GAIN. Next, set the desired volume using the VOLUME knob. At this point, the clean volume will match if the TT BOOST is turned off. .Bass-Punch=This switch engages a boost of 6dB at 100Hz, which greatly enhances the low-end presence of the bass guitar..Middle-Mid Shift=This switch controls the center frequency of the MIDDLE knob. When the switch is OUT, the middle frequency is 600Hz. The middle frequency is 250Hz when the switch is pushed IN. Treble-Bright=This button provides a 10 dB boost to frequencies above 1KHz. To activate, depress the switch to its “IN” position. PSYCHO-ACOUSTICS EFFECT SWITCH The human ear does not hear low frequencies as well as higher frequencies. This means that as bass goes lower, more and more power is required. The MAX® Psycho-Acoustics effect solves this problem by identifying extremely low notes, generating harmonics based on the notes, and then blending the harmonics with the original note, making the lows seem louder and tighter without eating up excess power amp headroom.

In my first practice this amp was easy to get up & running, I didn't want to keep the other guys waiting around while I got 'my sound' I just did it on the fly..moved the dials around, hit the strings. I adjusted the gain & TT boost found it easy to get a bit of warm grit..you can get full fuzz with the button pressed & gain full on. I was using a Spector Legend Custom & Markbass 2x10 cab against 2 guitarists & a drummer,playing fingerstyle heavy rock. This amp didn't need to go over 3 on master volume putting out a really nice full sound. The guys were pretty impressed. It was good to have the tuner which is operable by using the mute button. I'll be happy gigging with this head. I'll have my Eden WTDI in case the worst was to happen. I really like having the aux in & headphones,I've been using a small practice head but it's nice to use the gigging head.

I'll keep playing & post more comments as they crop up..so far so good!

• 2 weeks later...

Tried this out today, I wasn't hugely impressed if I'm honest. The sound was fine but not to my taste particularly, also the knobs seemed really cheap to the touch, no resistance in moving. I liked the on board tuner though. Its reasonable for the price, I think you're better off buying second hand and getting something nice.