Why become a member? ×

Class D amps - not impressed, bought this Trace instead

bodyinflight

It took me quite a bit of experimenting when I moved away from TE to MarkBass (I know the LM3 isn't a Class D but I'm not technical emough to understand the differnce in the sonic world). I went through TE, Barefaced and two different MB cabs before getting a sound I was happy with. I rate my LM3 and 2 MB121 cab combination as highly as the TE kit I moved away from....but I could have given up at the start and believed that ALL low weight switching amps were inferior.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1457959689' post='3003319']
A single instance of class D amp didn't work out == all class D amps are crap. Sounds legit.
[/quote]

Please don't huff, the title was to draw you guys in to have an expository conversation for my (and others) enlightenment. Go suck a lemon!

[quote name='bodyinflight' timestamp='1457960760' post='3003333']
Please don't huff, the title was to draw you guys in to have an expository conversation for my (and others) enlightenment. Go suck a lemon!
[/quote]

That's a great suggestion - I'd find sucking on a lemon far preferable to putting up with your attitude. Good day sir!

[quote name='bodyinflight' timestamp='1457898084' post='3002821']
Purchased myself a TC Electronic BH250 and an Eden EX210 cab at Christmas.

While initially impressed with the volume, I took this to a large venue for a gig - and then another sizeable room for a jam with 2 guitarists and a drummer. It did not hold it's own.
I get this is probably the cheapest class D head out there, but the [b]reviews led me to believe it was more than loud enough for big gigs - probably my naivety.[/b]

[/quote]

I read that quite a bit about gear, i think it needs taking with a pinch of salt on web forums.

Ive been reading loads of reports recently how a certain 1x10 does the same. Hard to believe sometimes.

I've tried out two class D set ups within the past year and been very happy with both.

Firstly, a Fender Rumble 500 Combo V3. These are lovely combos with a great tone, very vintage and pleasing to the ear and loud...I can't remember why I chose to swap it to be honest.

I now have an Aguilar TH350. This took a bit more time to twiddle with but over the last 2 practices with my band it's sounding bang on. Very warm and I'm getting some nice grit in the sound, and again loud. I stick either my P or J bass through it and they sound great.

They may be both class D but they're very different in character. I like that the one thing they do have in common is a lack of fuss. There are a couple of preset buttons on the Fender, however apart from that it's a straightforward amp. The drive or overdrive on both are very usable, unlike the GK solid state amp I had prior to them. The overdrive on that was dreadful, almost a joke.

As with all gear, you find what you like the sound of. Personally I wouldn't have looked at the TC Electronic in the first place.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1457967917' post='3003458']
I read that quite a bit about gear, i think it needs taking with a pinch of salt on web forums.

Ive been reading loads of reports recently how a certain 1x10 does the same. Hard to believe sometimes.
[/quote]

Its worth bearing in mind that the real world power required to be "loud enough" can vary massively between different players purely by virtue of how they use low bass frequency EQ in their sound and thats before you considered all the other variables such as genre loudness and sensibleness of other band members.

With the OPs setup of an amp at the very bottom of the class-D power spectrum and a smallish marginally effecient cab (and presumably an 8ohm on to boot) its entirely feasible that it couldnt cut the mustard, but then it might be fine for another player for all reasons I outlined above.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1458109215' post='3004711']

Its worth bearing in mind that the real world power required to be "loud enough" can vary massively between different players purely by virtue of how they use low bass frequency EQ in their sound and thats before you considered all the other variables such as genre loudness and sensibleness of other band members.

With the OPs setup of an amp at the very bottom of the class-D power spectrum and a smallish marginally effecient cab (and presumably an 8ohm on to boot) its entirely feasible that it couldnt cut the mustard, but then it might be fine for another player for all reasons I outlined above.
[/quote]

Oh yeas, we all need different things and can get away with different levels etc depending on the situation.
I just find sometimes people can get over enthusiastic and make it sound like the laws of physics have finally been broken.

[quote name='DBerriff' timestamp='1458117922' post='3004775']
I think you need to read the claims in context. All the posts I have seen do that. What I do conclude though is that amp power figures are quoted to many different standards.
[/quote]

Im talking about those who say things like they had to be taken out of the PA in a 200 strong bar playing blues and rock covers because they were too loud.
Mainly on Talkbass, not here.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1457898765' post='3002835']
Not impressed with the TC Head - fair enough. That should have been the title of the thread. There are dozens of class D heads about that are way better than the BH250.
[/quote]

Indeed!

Also, quite often the lack of volume can be fixed by using different (or more) speakers. In this particular example the two rigs are quite different, speaker wise... not surprised about the outcome

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1457952370' post='3003206']
Expensive when new 2x15 puts out more volume and bottom end than a new cheap 2x10, yep must be the class of output stage amplification, can't think what else could be at play here? Lol
[/quote]

:lol:

Although ive only had one rehearsal with um new GKMB800 im loving it so far. Much more "me" than the Markbass F1 ive been using for a few years. It seems to have the kick and punch the F1 definitely doesn't have, and needed a pre amp in front to bring tu to life, Both are great in their own way but it shows that class D is not a one tone system.

I did a similar move to what the OP first did. I went from a Trace 4x10 combo to a class D 2x10 combo.
The difference was I found the Markbass combo blew the Trace back into the 80s. When I added a (loaned) 2x10 cab to it, it was impressively loud.

Class D. Note the gaytards are both mic'd up, as is the drummer.
The bass isn't.
"Heft" was noted :mellow:

[URL=http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/12647024_10153910918528739_4400397769917726932_n_zpskzclej8e.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/Karl_Altdorfer/12647024_10153910918528739_4400397769917726932_n_zpskzclej8e.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1458382610' post='3007088']
The OPs amp would have been fine through those cabs, a single 8 ohm 2x10 with a 250 watt head was putting out what, 175watts? less? I have a 300watt class D amp and I have run it through a pair of 8 ohm 4x10 cabs and I would happily gig it alongside the Trace the OP replaced it with! More speakers=more air moved.
[/quote]
I don't think the BH250 is 250w at 4 ohm. Probably considerably less, but as you've pointed out, it's speakers that make the decibels, not the watts. :)