Why become a member? ×

Class D amps - not impressed, bought this Trace instead

bodyinflight

Purchased myself a TC Electronic BH250 and an Eden EX210 cab at Christmas.

While initially impressed with the volume, I took this to a large venue for a gig - and then another sizeable room for a jam with 2 guitarists and a drummer. It did not hold it's own.
I get this is probably the cheapest class D head out there, but the reviews led me to believe it was more than loud enough for big gigs - probably my naivety.

Anybody any good experiences with these amps?

This Trace though, absolute powerhouse!!

I`ve one of the BH250s that I bought as a backup head. Last week I loaned it to a couple of bands who were on the same bill. The headline band were a Ramones tribute, so as you can guess not that quiet. The bassist set the volume at around 11 o`clock and was immediately asked to turn it down by the soundman as it was too loud on-stage in comparison to the other instruments. That was with all eq set at noon, and into a Barefaced Super 12T. I`d think a lot of the lack of volume is to do with using a single 210 in a venue. It`s a big ask for a 210, up against 2 guitars & drums in a venue.

I recently rekindled my love affair with Trace Elliot after an extended search for "[i]that elusive sound[/i]" - found out that it doesn't come in a Class D package - only in equipment with "Trace Elliot" written on it!!

I've managed to acquire a 7215 combo, a 2x12 cab, a 1x15 cab, a AH150 head and a GP7 200 head all for just over £450. The building I live in does seem to have developed a bit of a lean away from the wall in the living room though.. ;) ;)..

Can't beat a good TE!!

To the O/P, I'm not sure we're comparing like for like but none-the-less, that's a lovely rig.. B)

A number of people on here have gone light cab / trace head route which apparently gives the best of both worlds. Personally, I'm happy with my heavy head and (reasonably) lightweight SWR boxes.

Lightweight / compact / Class D doesn't interest me as I gig less than 10 (probably 5 at this rate) times a year, I don't have a glass back and am not ever persuing 'that' tone as I feel I already have it. :D

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1457902484' post='3002909']
I recently rekindled my love affair with Trace Elliot after an extended search for "[i]that elusive sound[/i]" - found out that it doesn't come in a Class D package - only in equipment with "Trace Elliot" written on it!!

Can't beat a good TE!!
[/quote]
[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1457911269' post='3003027']
To the O/P, I'm not sure we're comparing like for like but none-the-less, that's a lovely rig.. B)

A number of people on here have gone light cab / trace head route which apparently gives the best of both worlds. Personally, I'm happy with my heavy head and (reasonably) lightweight SWR boxes.

Lightweight / compact / Class D doesn't interest me as I gig less than 10 (probably 5 at this rate) times a year, I don't have a glass back and am not ever persuing 'that' tone as I feel I already have it. :D
[/quote]
[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1457899429' post='3002855']
Are you comparing a 2x10 rig to a 2x15 rig? If the latter sounds bigger, I'm not surprised.
[/quote]

I think you have the whole argument wrapped up here.

If you like the TE sound then TE is the way to go. It's coloured but if it's your favourite colour then everything else is a compromise. the same applies to Ampegs, valve amps or any other classic sound you might be after.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong about Class D/lightweight amps but they are all different so they need to be auditioned just like any other amp

All other things being equal small speakers will never be as loud as big speakers and cone area is important. Eight Barefaced one 10's will be louder than a single one.

Taking a relatively low powered TC amp and using a 2x10 was always going to be at the bottom end of what is usable. Through a 2x15 it might have done what you wanted or a more powerful class D might have worked with the Eden cab. Neither was going to sound like your TE rig.

Edited by Phil Starr

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1457956834' post='3003266']
Sitting here deciding on in ears or a DI box and monitor wedge instead of my already compact amp I can't think of anything worse than a big heavy amp these days!
[/quote]

db or d&b?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1457942726' post='3003098']
As different as amps that generally use the same power module can be... :-)
[/quote]Fair point but personally I don't think the output stage is the biggest factor. I suspect the lack of 'heft' is down to inadequate power supplies and the 'tone' of the amp is down to tone shaping in the pre amp stages.

My feeling is that it's all in the implementation, class D/SMPS power supplies are still in the early days and people are still rushing out 'me too' products, often with a mass of digital processing going on. Over time people will stop obsessing over lightweight and will buy on the basis of sound alone. Manufacturers will have to up their game in this area and the killer amps of the future will probably be class D.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1457958572' post='3003300']
Fair point but personally I don't think the output stage is the biggest factor. I suspect the lack of 'heft' is down to inadequate power supplies and the 'tone' of the amp is down to tone shaping in the pre amp stages.

My feeling is that it's all in the implementation, class D/SMPS power supplies are still in the early days and people are still rushing out 'me too' products, often with a mass of digital processing going on. Over time people will stop obsessing over lightweight and will buy on the basis of sound alone. Manufacturers will have to up their game in this area and the killer amps of the future will probably be class D.
[/quote]

My point exactly - it's just not 'there' yet. Too much tinkering under the hood, too much BS around output power.

There's still a while to go before consumer-level bass heads catch up with what the pro audio rigs are packin'.