Why become a member? ×

Have any reformed bands made a really great album?

darkandrew

You know how it is - you make a torturous album that turns out to be an amazing masterpiece but the self destructive process of creating it inevitably leads to the band breaking up soon after its release. A decade or so later the band decide they have unfinished business, get back together and release the best album of their career (or not). You see, I've been trying to think if there are any comeback albums by reformed bands that rival their back catalogue but I just can't think of any. Can you?

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1457875183' post='3002536']
The new Faith No More record Sol Invictus is great and their first since getting back together.
[/quote]

That was my first thought.
Also, Van Der Graaf Generator split in the 70s, re-formed a couple of years later and recorded Godbluff and Still Life, masterpieces both.

It's an interesting question. I would like to know if any bands have broken up, the parties STUDIED music and then, when they reformed, were better. I suspect not.

Jazz acts rarely reform as the idea is mostly to keep moving forward but there have been a few reunions 'for old times sake'. My favourite is the trio of Sam Rivers, Dave Holland and Barry Altschul. Their 'Reunion' album is superb.

Only one that I can think of is Dinosaur Jr. - 3 corkers since they got back together.

I could probably add Sleater Kinney to the list.....but I'm ashamed to say I've not heard the new one yet (only been out a year!) but they were great on 'Later', and it got super reviews.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1457883758' post='3002632']
Godbluff by Van Der Graaf Generator is probably a bit better for them having had some time off.
[/quote]

I find myself swimming against the tide here, as I rate both Still Life and World Record above Godbluff! And after another 30 years off, Trisector is also a blinder!

'First You Gotta Shake the Gate' by Funkadelic is a pretty decent set of tunes. Although whether it counts as a reunion album or a George Clinton solo project with a lot of guest musicians who he's just happened to work with in the past I'm not sure.

Madness - The Liberty of Norton Folgate. Lovely quote on the sticker on the cd sums it up more eloquently than I could: 'Norton Folgate is Peter Ackroyd writing for The Kinks, it's Sherlock Holmes in Albert Square, it's a Mike Leigh movie of Parklife, it's Passport to Pimlico meets Brick Lane and it's Madness's masterpiece.' THE WORD

Edited by Mister RLP