Why become a member? ×

alt.guitar.bass

NancyJohnson

[quote name='Geddys nose' timestamp='1457878906' post='3002570']
I posted a little bit but lurked more, Can't remember many of the names from back then, I think Dude Barr was on-later of the Dudepit (Use to hang on there too)
[/quote]

Same here - read a lot more than posted.

Seems like a loooong time ago.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1457861107' post='3002334']
Back in the olden days, before talkbass, bassworld and basschat, did anyone here use or post to alt.guitar.bass newsgroup?
[/quote]

I posted regularly on several music related USENET groups, but only rarely on that one. I may have posted a bit more on rec.music.makers.bass, but I don't remember either one as being all that useful, in all honesty. I was quite active on rec.music.makers.guitar and alt.guitar.amps and a few of the recording related groups though. It was pretty amazing how rude people could be to each other back then.

[quote name='Passinwind' timestamp='1458056545' post='3004242']
I posted regularly on several music related USENET groups, but only rarely on that one. I may have posted a bit more on rec.music.makers.bass, but I don't remember either one as being all that useful, in all honesty. I was quite active on rec.music.makers.guitar and alt.guitar.amps and a few of the recording related groups though. It was pretty amazing how rude people could be to each other back then.
[/quote]

Wow, those group names bring back memories....

[quote name='Geddys nose' timestamp='1457878906' post='3002570']
I posted a little bit but lurked more, Can't remember many of the names from back then, I think Dude Barr was on-later of the Dudepit (Use to hang on there too)
[/quote]

Same here. I found the uk.music.guitar (or whatever it was called) group slightly more useful for discussion as the US traffic was kind of slow at the times of day that I had internet access back then.

Anyone else remember Jarl Sigurd?

Check out this spam...

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.guitar.bass/-fyQ1_wevuE

It might also be of interest to some people that Steve 'Dude' Barr, drug and money issues aside, was behind a couple of Lakland special editions that are now highly collectable.

The 'Dudepit' models were pretty much the precursor to what happened with the Lakland Owners Group editions.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1458058764' post='3004270']
Wow, those group names bring back memories....
[/quote]

I'm still friends in what passes for "real life" with some of those guys from rec.music.makers.guitar in the late 90s.

There are quite a few refugees from The Dudepit and even The Bottom Line listserv at Badassbassplayers.com.