Why become a member? ×

Your favourite 'One Hit Wonder'

colgraff

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1458130336' post='3004933']
In the 70s though, if you were a "serious" rock band you didn't really do singles. Your audience were all album buyers. ...

And I thought that Led Zeppelin had a strict no singles policy?
[/quote]

I thought as you did on both these, but look at the number of singles Sabbath, Floyd, Zep, and Genesis released. Zep released 15 singles. And Jethro Tull released 33, with two making it into the top 40 (in fact the top 20).

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1458130603' post='3004940']
I imagine this policy would have been something of a surprise to Queen, David Bowie, etc.! I take your point that there was a certain pretentious sneering at singles as the lesser art form by some bands, though.
[/quote]

But both Bowie and Queen had at least one foot planted firmly in the "pop" market, and had a proportion of their audience who mostly bought singles. Bowie even released "John I'm Only Dancing" as a single only.

The thing that surprises me is that so many "album" bands even bothered with singles back then when their chances of daytime radio play and consequently getting in the charts were close to non-existent. Other than as a taster for the forthcoming album I really couldn't see the point, especially since the B-side was likely to be taken from the album as well.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1458130442' post='3004936']So I would class Falco as a one-hit wonder in the UK, because I remember Rock Me Amadeus and could sing the chorus, but couldn't name any other songs.
[/quote]

Even though his follow-up single also reached the top 10 here? TBH I didn't remember it until I went and checked out the video on YouTube. And you'd be surprised at how many people actually know "Der Kommissar" without knowing it's also by Falco.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1457857759' post='3002290']
Oh yes! I heard that once he did a gig somewhere and every time he tried to play a different song the audience started throwing things so he ended up playing Spirit in the Sky dozens of times.

[/quote]

And in a similar vein

[url="https://youtu.be/aVSTr7rb1_Y"]http://youtu.be/aVSTr7rb1_Y[/url]

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1458134335' post='3004990']
Edelweiss - Bring me Edelweiss.
[/quote]

Produced following advice from the KLF book "The Manual (How to Have a Number One the Easy Way)".

Although it only reached number 5 in the UK chart.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1458135348' post='3005002']
Produced following advice from the KLF book "The Manual (How to Have a Number One the Easy Way".

Although it only reached number 5 in the UK chart.
[/quote]

Yep... and it was truly awful.

the Rattles - The Witch
Nena - 99 Red Ballons
Crazy Elephant - Gimme Gimme Good Lovin' (possible the most badly played guitar solo, ever)
and what Forest Fan could ever forget, Nottingham Forest FC and Paper Lace - We've got the whole world in our hands

[quote name='keeponehandloose' timestamp='1458139102' post='3005039']
They had Rock Lobster as recently covered by Peter Griffin
[/quote]

Rock Lobster was a Top 40 hit twice in the UK. They also had hits in this country with "Roam" "Good Stuff" and their cover of The Flintstones theme. Hardly one-hit wonders.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1458214168' post='3005605']
Rock Lobster was a Top 40 hit twice in the UK. They also had hits in this country with "Roam" "Good Stuff" and their cover of The Flintstones theme. Hardly one-hit wonders.
[/quote]
Not to mention Love Shack (No.3)