Why become a member? ×

Your favourite 'One Hit Wonder'

colgraff

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1478912225' post='3172729']
Build me up Buttercup is fairly well known over here, I personally don't know sky high but to be fair we live in different countries so it's not surprising that we have different one hit wonders.
[/quote]

Agreed, however Jig Saw they look like a British band for some reason. There is a YouTube clip. Very pop sounding.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1478915345' post='3172741']
Agreed, however Jig Saw they look like a British band for some reason. There is a YouTube clip. Very pop sounding.

Blue
[/quote]

They were indeed British, mostly from previous club bands based around Coventry. As they were a 'bitsa' band from other bands the name Jigsaw seems appropriate. Good live act in their day apparently but slightly before my time. I learned Sky High once for a jam session, nice tune in amiddle of the road fashion. I think they were a bit heaveir live.

• 1 month later...

I Wanna Be A Winner - Brown Sauce - featuring Noel Edmunds, Keith Chegwin & Maggie Philbin. I got the 7" back in the day and I'm happy to confess that I put it on occasionally and think it is good.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDzsa9EP-a4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDzsa9EP-a4[/url]

Edited by vantagepointrocks

• 8 months later...

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1484485450' post='3215765']
Don't know if anybody has mentioned it, or whether it counts as they had a lesser hit too, but what about Pigbag's "Papa's got a brand new Pigbag".

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omYKI8RJaIg[/media]
[/quote]

Heard this again today...what a great track

"Yesterday Has Gone" - Cupid's Inspiration, I remember them "performing it on TOTP and the backing track was out of sync.
"The Son Of Hickory Hollers Tramp" - O.C. Smith. I have an old LP of his which isn't bad.
"Me & Mrs Jones" - Billy Paul. He had other records out but that's the one most people remember.
"96 Tears" - ? & The Mysterians. Not even sure if it was a major hit in the UK.
"Woolly Bully" - Sam The Sham & The Pharohs. Not sure of the spelling of some of these!
"Black Is Black" - Los Bravos.
"I Could Feel The Whole World Turn Round" - Shotgun Express. I think this was a "turntable hit" back in the 60s.
"Hang On Sloopy" - The McCoys. I do have another 45rpm by them called "Don't Worry Mother Your Son's Heart Is Pure"!

There must be hundreds more but I'm enjoying this thread.

Edited by LeftyP

[quote name='squire5' timestamp='1505985347' post='3375601']
I wouldn't class Hue & Cry as a 1 hit wonder.Remember 'Ordinary Angel','Looking for Linda','Violently' etc?
[/quote]No, I'm afraid I don't; my loss I'm guessing.

I thought of another one hit wonder yesterday, The Lone Ranger by Quantum Jump.

[quote name='LeftyP' timestamp='1505943898' post='3375467']
"Black Is Black" - Los Bravos.

There must be hundreds more but I'm enjoying this thread.
[/quote]funnily enough this came up on my MP3 player the other morning (about 3am when I couldn't sleep) and I was thinking the song is really driven by a great relatively simple bass line.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TN_NieR8lc