Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitars - what features do you LOVE?

ped

Time to look at the other side of the coin and have some positivity!

What features do you look for in a bass? If you've had a custom made, what was a must-have? Is there anything you'd like to have that isn't readily available?

Me:
[list]
[*]Graphite necks
[*]Little/no relief on neck
[*]Gadgets (built in tuner, d-tuners, mutes, exciting electronics)
[*]Natural finishes that show just the wood grain, nothing 'showy'
[*]Marvel Strap locks
[/list]

Essentially everything that isn't on my dislike list...

I like all sorts of basses from traditional fender designs, through coffee table multi stringed basses, through status / modulus type instruments... I even like those far out Ritter designs.

There is so much variety out there that I love about basses and a much shorter list of things I don't like. :)

Pushed to name a feature I really love though I'd have to go for Multi-Coil pickups :)

Edited by CamdenRob

Naked ash & maple.
Matching headstocks (unless the try a mini sunburst)
The shape of the precision scratchplate.
Tort on white or black basses.
Big ol' humbuckers at the bridge.
Thin frets.
Sculpted neck heels.

We all like gadget and innovations but time has proven that little is more on a bass guitar. The simpler is always the more efficient in a band.

See, I like and appreciate the skills and musicality of say.... Doug Wimbish, but I can only take 2 minutes of his erratic attempts to go from a low sound to the sound of a high pitch 6 string distorted guitar through his huge pedal board, wah-wah's and pitch shifters. I appreciate more the subtle playing of a Duck Dunn, or James Jamerson.

but hey, perhaps it's my age... I am not knocking the others but for me, it's an appreciation of the simple and effective that takes first place nowadays

Black block n' bound maple fretboards.

Music Man humbuckers with massive pole pieces.

3 + 1 headstocks.

The flowing curve of the classic Jazz body.

Pickup pan pots.

Natural finishes on non- exotic wood. Ash is pretty much perfect.

Rarely seen all together on the same bass. ( Is this the point where somebody suggests I order a Maruszczyk?).

Edited by Cato

Wood grain or the burls of natural unpainted wood, monorail bridges (just for asthetics, I don't believe it is technically better), thin necks, 5 strings, active electronics. Gold hardware on the light woods, black on dark. pickup panpots rather than separate volumes. block or decorative markers, neck binding.

Ergonomics, sound, looks, in that order. So in terms of looks (and to some extent ergonomics) I like a 2+2 head (or 3+1 at a pinch) a sparse looking control layout - not too many knobs - and a lightweight, but not too small body. Hmm, why do I play a Ric then?

I've narrowed mine down massively over the years, and the more basses I play, the more definite I am about them

Split coil pickups, or big single coils at a push
Maple boards (birdseye for preference), or ebony at a push
Fenderbirds
Shuker Horns
Precisions
Figured woods, or two tone/tobacco sunburst at a push
John East preamps
Fan frets
Hipshot Ultralites
Dunlop Straplocks
Basses under 8lbs, 8.5lbs at a push

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1457685130' post='3000871']
[list]

[*]Natural finishes that show just the wood grain, nothing 'showy'
[/list]
[/quote] this

The thing I like about my Warwicks is the wood choice is part of the design.
When you've got some daft top on a body and it seems little more than decoration - not a fan.
Even worse is fussy fretboards

Narrow string spacing, lines that flow and are echoed between parts of the instrument (body/pickguard/headstock) single coils, simple passive wiring, bridges without any protruding bits for comfortable palm muting, pickguards or control plates, thin natural finishes on understated woods. Bold solid colours can be good too, if it suits the overall aesthetic. Metal parts should be nickel or chrome.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

1. Minimal heel at the neck joint i.e. set or through neck construction
2. Angled headstocks.
3. Neck finishes that match the body finish.
4. Instruments where every part has been specially designed so that it compliments the overall look, rather than having been thrown together from standard inappropriate looking bits that just happen to be easily available.

This has been in the back of my mind since I put my Ritter up for sale. Almost certain that the proceeds of the sale will go towards an ACG Harlot SC like my existing one. The plan is for:[list]
[*]Harlot SC body, Natural finish, burl or spalted timber - preferably light coloured (Sycamore?)
[*]Headless 5 or 7 piece asymmetric thru neck - ebony/maple/purpleheart
[*]Plain Ebony fretboard (no markings)
[*]I'd like black frets but haven't seen these on anything - does anybody do black frets??
[*]Black hardwear - pick up covers, knobs, bridge, nut
[*]SIMS p/ups (15 different settings from 2 pick ups)
[*]Black tapewound strings (Status do 40-100s)
[*]Internal strap locks - like those on early Warwicks
[/list]
Just need to sell the Ritter...

Edited by TheGreek

There is very little that I really want aesthetics-wise in a bass, I know if I like one when I see it though. Otherwise my requirements are:

Fan frets (I don't think that I can go back to perpendicular frets now)
Active / passive switch
Onboard EQ

That's it.