Why become a member? ×

NBD! Yamaha TRBX504

BASainty

I bought this stunning Yamaha TRBX504 in translucent black from DavidMcKay of this here forum and arrived safe and sound (and extremely well packed) yesterday morning.

Here are some specs from the Yamaha website:

Scale Length -
34'' (863.6mm)

Neck -
Maple and Mahogany 5pc

Fingerboard -
Rosewood

Radius
10'' (250mm)

Nut Width -
38mm

Body -
Solid Mahogany

Tuners -
Die-cast

Bridge -
Die-cast 19mm

Pickups -
HHB5n (Alnico V), HHB5b (Alnico V)

Controls -
Master Volume, Pickup Balancer, Bass, Middle, Treble and Active-Passive switch (Battery Alert LED on back)

Hardware Color -
Black Nickel

Initial impressions are very very good. A very comfortable and slim neck. Fit and finish as to be expected from a Yamaha product is perfect. absolute rocksolid build quality. An all round high quality feeling instrument. I had a MIJ 2000 Yamaha TRB 5-II and this feels on par with it.

I've had a doodle around with it and love tone and sound in both active and passive mode very versatile, a huge plus! Very clean and piano like. Actually quite similar to the TRB I had.

Anyway that's enough rambling, here is a cheeky pic! I shall add more detailed one later.

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1457630362' post='3000434']
ooh i like that, reminds me of ibanez SR's, never been a fan of yamaha but i like that
[/quote]

These do seem like competitors now! These are more comfy on the leg when sitting than an SR equivalent. That's just my opinion though!

I'm a massive Yamaha fan. And these really reinforce why!

Maybe bland is too strong a word, but when i was trying out the 305 and 505 together i liked the tone of the 305 more. The reason i want for the 505 was the nicer look (dont like gloss much) and the fact that the bass would run without a battery if needed.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1457696933' post='3001019']
Maybe bland is too strong a word, but when i was trying out the 305 and 505 together i liked the tone of the 305 more. The reason i want for the 505 was the nicer look (dont like gloss much) and the fact that the bass would run without a battery if needed.
[/quote]

I do get what you mean. I would describe it as a very clean tone. I have an RBX374 and it has more grit in its tone for sure. Both very good instruments with a good range of tones between them. Haven't tried a 304/5 yet. Are they anything like the RBX374? I assume the pickups are the same?