Why become a member? ×

First ever US tour

Twigman

Cool! I'm on tour on the East Coast at the same time as you. Love getting over to the States! My advice is to enjoy every minute. Take lots of photos as they will be great to show your kids and grandkids. Make the most of your days off i.e. don't waste them with hangovers (speaking from experience!) Lastly - don't be too annoyed when the bass amp you spec turns out to be a 30 year old Peavey instead of your preferred Mesa Boogie or whatever. Give it stacks and before you know it you'll be rebooked!

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1457671611' post='3000823']
don't be too annoyed when the bass amp you spec turns out to be a 30 year old Peavey instead of your preferred Mesa Boogie or whatever.
[/quote]

taking my TecAmp Puma head...been told I have an Ampeg 2x12 for the tour....should do nicely. :)

Man - you are going to have such a good time....

My band did a ten day/five date Us tour which took in Portland, Seattle and Vancouver in February. I wish I could give you sage advice about how we ate healthy food, kept ourselves hydrated and washed our underpants regularly, but none of that happened.

Everything almost got derailed when our guitarist threw his toys out of the pram and quit ten days before the tour began. Undaunted, we secured the services of the guitarist from the band who were playing the last night of the tour with us and flew him from Rhode Island to Portland to meet us the night before the first gig of the tour for a bit of a rehearsal.

With all that behind us even before the tour started, there was no way we were going to eat lettuce and drink spring water, so we lived on breakfast burritos, beer, cider and stuff that you can legally buy in Oregon that you can't buy over here.

The one actual useful piece of advice I can give you is to make a note (on paper or on your phone - anything that will stay on your person) of where your hotel and gig venue are for each day/city. That way, when you inevitably wake/end up in the wrong hotel/part of town, you will always know where you can find your band mates and/or luggage. Don't worry about down time - you will either sleep or spend it travelling form the side of the city where you woke up to the side of the city where the gig is at.

As for dealing with promoter screw ups - this will happen. There's nothing you can do about it so, you're best off not worrying about it and just dealing with problems as they arise. On our tour almost nothing went to plan, but everything turned out alright because no-one threw a hissy fit and everyone pitched in to sort out problems.

Anyway despite all the disasters, this is how our tour ended up in Vancouver: Totally worth it.

[url="http://s22.photobucket.com/user/RevDave/media/ML%20rickshaw%20crowd%20amp%20band.jpg.html"][/url]