Why become a member? ×

First ever US tour

Twigman

Next week I'll embark on our first ever tour of USA - well part of USA anyway,
We will be knackered.
We fly to Austin TX on 14/3
We play SXSW next Tuesday 15/3 - we are scheduled to play at quarter past midnight = this will feel like 5.15am to us!!
Then we fly from Austin to Portland Oregan to join the 'bus'.
I have no idea how comfortable this 'bus' might be.
We drive to Seattle where we play our 1st proper gig of the tour. 17/3
Then we drive over the border into Canada to play in Vancouver the next day,18/3
Then we drive back to Portland for a gig there. 19/3
We then drive to Sacramento where we get a day off before another show. 21/3
The next day we play in San Francisco. 22/3

After that I'm not sure where we're going as we have 3 days before the next show in Phoenix, 25/3
The following day we do a radio session for a LA radio station 26/3
The next day we play at The Echo in LA...27/3

Then we fly home.....

Just thought I'd share.

Anyone got any advice on:
Sleeping
Coping with jet lag
Dealing with promoter screw ups
Coping with boredom

What to do 23&24?

etc etc

I did something a few years ago playing at the 4&20 Blackbird Festival in Weed, California (after first flying into Houston, then missing our connection to San Francisco and then almost crashing at SF when another plane taxied across our runway just as we were about to land. Going from 100 feet off the ground to a vertical climb in next to no time is an experience I don't want to do again in a hurry. Saw the bridge a second time though from the air). Jack Daniels seemed to be the thing that got us through. Especially if left in the car all day when it's 45 degrees C outside. Bit like a hot toddy but 10x stronger.

I am really excited.

It's a bucket list thing.
One of those things you set as an ambition when you're a kid - "One day I want to be in spinal tap"......never believing it would become a reality.

I'm a bit worried about being shot!

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1457629068' post='3000408']

I'm a bit worried about being shot!
[/quote]

There was a gun man on the Arizona highways, randomly shooting at cars, when i was there last summer. They didn't catch him ( i assume it was a he) at the time. Made for interesting news in the Arizona highway motels i was in.

Sounds like fun though. Enjoy! You'll have fun no doubt. You'll be knackered, but it will be a good knackered.

As far as sleep is concerned, grab every opportunity. Sleep whenever you can.
And for dealing with jet lag, I always follow the same procedure. The moment my plane takes off, I immediately set my watch for the time in my destination city/country and start working my sleep pattern there and then. It's not failed me yet -- jet lag has never caused me problems.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1457617262' post='3000169']
Anyone got any advice
[/quote]

Dante's in Portland? If the girls seem a bit too friendly they're probably on break from the strip joint next door. Not that I'd have any direct knowledge of that.

[quote name='Passinwind' timestamp='1457632242' post='3000466']
Dante's in Portland? If the girls seem a bit too friendly they're probably on break from the strip joint next door. Not that I'd have any direct knowledge of that.
[/quote]

The gig has apparently been moved from Dante's.....I'm not sure what the venue it's been moved to is called, I had heard it was the Star Theatre but the interweb tells me someone else is playing there that night.

When I said spinal tap, I wasn't kidding!

I do know it's Chop Suey in Seattle, The Colony in Sacramento, Elbo Room in SF, The Echo in LA....the actual venue names in Phoenix, Vancouver and Portland are currently unknown

Edited by Twigman

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1457617262' post='3000169']...
Then we fly from Austin to Portland Oregan to join the 'bus'.
I have no idea how comfortable this 'bus' might be...
[/quote]

Probably ...

...but maybe (just maybe..! :lol: ) ...

[quote name='bootleg' timestamp='1457619576' post='3000202']
You'll be in San Francisco - a great city. That's my advice.

I never get jet lag going to the States (even the West Coast) usually because of the buzz of being there. Only suffer when I come home.
[/quote]

You only get jet lag coming back. Tiredness going, but up at daft o'clock for a few days when back in Blighty

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1457633937' post='3000500']
I bloody hope so......

I fear it's likely to be something like this:

[/quote]

You might just be pretty happy with the latter one once you suss the rather dire parking situation in many US urban areas.

Anyhow, it sounds like you will be mostly using our Interstate highways, which would make a big one a lot more tolerable than it might be out where I live. Have fun, and rock on.