Why become a member? ×

Getting gigs

davegriffiths91

Hey everyone.
Just wondering if there is a decent website for putting bands on for getting gigs?
Been trying to book some for bands I play in recently and just going direct with the venue. However I would like to go a little further a field but I have very limited contacts!
Any advice much appreciated!
If anyone is interested we are based in North Wales but are willing to travel (within reason) band info below!

Bands looking for gigs!
8 piece soul and funk band Yubaba!

https://m.facebook.com/Yubaba-1035454199817014/

8 piece Latin jazz dance band Caliente

https://m.facebook.com/Calienteband/

4 piece blues and classic rock band Mostly Blues

https://m.facebook.com/MostlyBlues/

All bands provide own PA and lights.

Check us out and give us a like!

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1457615431' post='3000126']
i've always found it easier to go to the promoter or the venue directly... that or book my own gigs.
i've never relied on an advert to attract gig interest
[/quote]

Aye, if the f'kers ever get back to you. I for one am getting real tired of being ignored and I'm not assertive enough to do the repeat emailing, just think we must be crap and I don't want to pester them further. Does nothing to dispel the perception that certain cities are like little private clubs, and unless you know someone, you won't even get a first look before your email gets deleted.

Either that or as I previously alluded to, we're actually crap.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1457615725' post='3000135']
Aye, if the f'kers ever get back to you. I for one am getting real tired of being ignored and I'm not assertive enough to do the repeat emailing, just think we must be crap and I don't want to pester them further. Does nothing to dispel the perception that certain cities are like little private clubs, and unless you know someone, you won't even get a first look before your email gets deleted.

[/quote]
if i don't get a response i leave it a month then try again. if they don't respond then i go with the opinion they are not worth my time

The most efficient band leader (for direct booking non-local gigs) I've worked with used to take advantage of his day job as a sales rep, and make personal calls at venues while on his travels. Making a positive personal impression carries a lot of weight when you are asking someone to take a risk and invest in you - imagine you are a venue manager or promoter, are you more likely to consider booking a band that took the trouble to visit your establishment and find out how your business works, or someone who sent an email?

[quote name='skampino' timestamp='1457660811' post='3000814']
Perseverance and how you are selling your band to a venue is key. Either that or get with an agency.
[/quote]

Good suggestions, I really think you need an agent to book an 8 piece band.

Blue

Only one site I know that gets us regular gigs is Lemonrock, Unfortunately it is a bit geographically limited, it started in St Albans and took over a West Country website early on so is strong there. It is expanding across the whole of the South West and around the home counties and is starting to expand in the North East. If you go onto the site statistics http://www.lemonrock.com/statistics.php then you can see it is expanding outwards and there's a chance it might become the 'go to' site across the country. It hasn't reached North Wales though so no use to the OP.

The trouble is that it is so easy to set up a website and there are too many 'me too' versions. If nobody visits them then they are useless and with so many packing in to a limited field few are reliable ways of finding gigs or bands.

All you really need in the absence of Lemonrock in your area is a website where people can see and hear your band, then I'm afraid you have to use all the old fashioned methods to direct them there.

[/quote]

Be reassured, no-one knows you are crap until you've played their venue :)

The problem is that there are so many bands chasing so few spots and with email it's easy for a venue to get hundreds of speculative emails. Most venues book up 6 months worth of bands at a time and will spend maybe one morning booking for the next six months, an email will be forgotten unless it arrives on that day. They don't really listen to CD's either in most cases. They'll also book back bands they know are reliable, because bands are less reliable than builders and most venues will hold on to people who do the job with the least hassle.

You need to build a personal relationship, it's also worth getting a card in there as they lose those less quickly than emails or CD's. Most of our gigs came from cancellations by the regular band. If you put on a good show they'll ask you back, it's that first booking that is hard.

[/quote]

Yeah, in many cases it's about who you know, not how good a band is.

In Milwaukee the big gig for bands is to play our Summerfest ( world's largest music festival ). Getting booked is a strictly who do you know proposition. It has nothing to do with how good a band is.

Blue