Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Aesthetics – What do you hate?

CamdenRob

White pickguards
Wooden pickup covers
More than 5 knobs
Ultra slim necks
Coffee table tops
6+ strings
Ugly headstocks (alleva coppolo)

I'm sure there's more.

*edit* blue/green bursts

Edited by cocco

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1457630133' post='3000430']
Single-cuts, gold hardware and coffee table finishes is about it really. And I don't like Rickenbackers, ugly, messy looking things.
[/quote]
It's like you stole my mind .... Not that you'd want it right now, my mind is awake with a child unfamiliar with the "night time eyes shut" concept

I don't hate any bass guitar athestics - the closest I'd come to hating it would be hating to play it in public!

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1457633089' post='3000481']
My idea of hell. The worst Chigwell chav aspirational aesthetic I've ever seen. A bass for a greasy Russian oligarch. Or the son of a Saudi prince who lives in Dubai and owns a pet lion.

[/quote]

That, maybe with the tweak of making it bulbus a single cut, is my definition of "chuckle at the silly sod weilding it" or "only play if there's nothing else". That finish is very over the top.

Most Single Cut designs
'Super' P types
'Super' J types
Lakland bridges
Beat up vintage instruments
Front facing LEDs
Oversized bodies
Any bass with lazy top/body bookmatching.
Black fretboard inlays

As said 'hate' is a strong word, and I think that most designs have their place, but for me:

I think my biggest gripe is 'orrible headstock shapes on Fender clones.

Not fussed on the modern single cuts like those shown earlier, but a G&L ASAT is very nice (apart from the headstock!), if it's considered a single cut?

Too many knobs / switches (limit 4)

Prefer Maple boards to rosewood

Lots of headless hate going on. Thoughts on this https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Yklz-D-2UAc ?

I know they're not basses, but strandberg make some beautiful headless guitars too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pd_mWVMda-E

(Pushing the Tesseract in this post aren't I?)

Edited by probablypike

Most of my pet hates can be summed up in the MM Bongo. There is nothing aesthetic I like about that thing, Imo it's fugly.

Stingrays with two humbuckers.
Single cuts.
Pearl pickguards.
Headless basses.
Massive bridges (Traben for example)
Headstocks that don't match.
Fake heavy relicing.
Small headstocks.
Fretboards that's half fretted and half fretless (Ibanez did one. Just no.)

I think I dislike everything except Fender Precisions and Jazzes, but I prefer the P bass. And the Thunderbird, love the look but have never been able to get along with one. I might have another bash with my new-found plectrum enthusiasm, though.

It's all subjective to what people like really. I'm a Warwick player mostly, and I love how mine look, but I know others hate them. There are also Warwicks I hate how they look, and people love.

Things I don't like?

Single cut
Pointy
Rickenbackers
Purposely roadworn (just why?!)
Some colour schemes just don't work for me.

Generally speaking, I'm pretty open minded! I never liked the looks of Ps, but some grew on me, and I love my CAR P with a tort pick guard, but I know I wouldn't like it with a different guard (maybe a pearloid white)... But if I had it in a different colour scheme, chances are I wouldn't like the tort!