Why become a member? ×

Why aren't there more reversed P-pickups?

linear

I've struggled a lot to get my BB414 to sound the way I want it to across the strings. With a combination of pickup height, string choice, preamp, and finger placement I can sort of get there, sort of, but not really. I can't help feeling my life would be a whole lot easier with a reversed P pickup. Why aren't they more common? Is it a solution without a problem? Or perhaps a solution for a problem that only effects crappy basses? (or crappy players maybe :unsure: )

The reverse split P always made sense to me if I didn't think too deeply about it - if what I think is true that in general, the further from the bridge the pickup is, the "bassier" it is. Fatten up the D and G a little and calm the E and A a little - but is it any better balanced than before? Maybe it's worse!

Maybe it's all a lot of nonsense, of course - people hear what they want to hear sometimes...

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1457567648' post='2999819']
I wonder if Leo tried the reversed position in early prototypes?
[/quote]
Strings and amplification were a lot different when he was designing the split-P pickup, so what worked for heavy flatwounds and a low powered amp might not be what works for round wounds with a punchy amp and a cab with a tweeter.

• Like 1

I fully see the point the op made I have thought the same myself.
The difference it would make is minimal. Although there is a difference.
Pluck the string directly over the pole piece then move it back or forth a centimetre or so to where the pole piece would be if reversed that's the difference in balance, (not tone directly) it would likely be.
Is it worth it I don't know. Although seems to make perfect sense the p pickup should be more commonly reversed.

Interesting that the OP's bass is a Yamaha BB. The original 80s BBs had reversed pickups, (see the insanely cheap BB300 in the For Sale section) as did a few other MIJs from the era - including he Washburn SB40 hanging on the wall next to me.

I doubt there's an audible difference in the "real world" but conceptually it makes sense. For me it also moves my right hand a bit closer to the bridge, which I prefer.

Jon.

I can see the logic behind selecting a particular pickup orientation when in a PJ configuration:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLZH2NWa9tY[/media]

vs.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxkN1RzRQqE[/media]

Admittedly two quite different basses - but I guess I'm with Ed when he says "...gives it a pinched nasal sort of tone..." (talking about "traditional" PJ configurations).

When it comes to a P on it's own - I don't think it's as important - as long as it's roughly in the right place it should [s]soul[/s] sound about right. Of course the Ideal is more along the lines of (IMHO):
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS02YaLw1uM[/media]

Edited by PlungerModerno

Probably because they look slightly different to a regular P bass which is an instant no no with about 50% of players...

As others have said it makes sense really and should fatten up the higher strings a bit whilst tightening up the E & A.

Still there isn't much wrong with the sound of a regular P pickup IMO, but I think the reverse P is an interesting alternative :)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1457595607' post='2999888']
Probably because they look slightly different to a regular P bass which is an instant no no with about 50% of players...
[/quote]

How to confuse people.
[url="http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/basses/jazz-bass/mark-hoppus-jazz-bass-rosewood-fingerboard-surf-green/"]http://intl.fender.c...ard-surf-green/[/url]

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1457603144' post='2999977']
How to confuse people.
[url="http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/basses/jazz-bass/mark-hoppus-jazz-bass-rosewood-fingerboard-surf-green/"]http://intl.fender.c...ard-surf-green/[/url]
[/quote]

Eww. It really doesn't look nice going against the angle on a J body and pickguard.

The Mark Hoppus bass has a reverse P pickup, and at the Herts Bass Bash a couple of years back it was the runaway winner in a blind Precision shootout, with people voting by ears alone. Up against some pretty tasty completion too - 50s/60s/70s Precisions amongst them.

Lee Sklar seems to like his double reverse P bass. I personally think it should be that way. Had two Yamahas BB300 (not at the same time, but used them with the same kind of strings and same amplification), older one with reversed P and a newer one with the standard Fender-like orientation. And yes, the reversed one sounded more balanced, there was more beef to the D and G strings, one could play licks high up the neck without jumping out of the groove, sonically. Now I have a fretless BB350 with a reversed P (and a J at the bridge) and I love how full and woody those thinner strings sounds, never had that with a "standard" fretless P. Also, my BB415 keeps me thinking how much tighter the B string would sound if I reversed the P coils or even just moved the B/E/A coil to the other side of the D/G one.

• Like 1

A reversed P makes a lot of sense.

I read somewhere that one of the problems with first Precision was that the amplifiers of the day weren't really up to the job, and would regularly blow their speakers. When redesigning it one of Leo Fender's aims was to reduce the attack of the plucked notes to minimise this, and placing the bass side of the split P pickup nearer the neck helped.

Which means the pickup configuration is compromised because of technical limitations which haven't applied for about 50 years.

• Like 1

If I ever see a Mark Hoppus bass in a shop, I'll certainly give it a try, especially if it's the less visually offensive white-blonde model. Interestingly, I saw a video posted on another thread with Scott Devine and Chris May from Overwater talking about a new P bass they have specced together, and they've gone for a reversed pickup.

[quote name='linear' timestamp='1457629597' post='3000416']
If I ever see a Mark Hoppus bass in a shop, I'll certainly give it a try, especially if it's the less visually offensive white-blonde model. Interestingly, I saw a video posted on another thread with Scott Devine and Chris May from Overwater talking about a new P bass they have specced together, and they've gone for a reversed pickup.
[/quote]

FYI: Scott's bass is still in the prototyping stage and he's not yet convinced by the reverse P. So there's a good chance it'll be a standard P pickup when the final model is revealed.

Hugh

My Nordy P5 has a reversed P pickup, and I gotta say the higher end has great definition and tone. Whether that can be attributed to the pickup layout or the fact that the build quality and components are top notch I couldn't say.
It wipes the floor with my Fender though......

[attachment=214467:Nordy.jpg]

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1457726095' post='3001408']
My Nordy P5 has a reversed P pickup, and I gotta say the higher end has great definition and tone. Whether that can be attributed to the pickup layout or the fact that the build quality and components are top notch I couldn't say.
It wipes the floor with my Fender though......

[attachment=214467:Nordy.jpg]
[/quote]

Lovely bass mate.

Edited by miles'tone

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1457736886' post='3001549']
Seriously considering going with the reverse P pickup on my custom bass but still not sure if it will really make such a big difference...decisions :gas:
[/quote]

The Nordy has a cutout for the traditional pickup position under the pickguard, so I could have it that way if I wanted to get another pickguard made but if it ain't broke.........

• 8 months later...

I have just had Andy fit a reverse P pickup into my MM Sterling 5er - build diary here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/294193-paul-ss-sterling-5/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/294193-paul-ss-sterling-5/[/url] .

I am collecting it on Wednesday and am pretty excited by the prospect I must say. Gigs Friday and Saturday to give it the full road test! :)