Why become a member? ×

Why aren't there more reversed P-pickups?

linear

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1457567648' post='2999819']
I wonder if Leo tried the reversed position in early prototypes?
[/quote]

My Fender Power Jazz Bass Specials from the 80's have reversed P's. Japanese made and absolutely stunning instruments (well, after my upgrades anyway!)

[quote name='linear' timestamp='1457564647' post='2999787']
I've struggled a lot to get my BB414 to sound the way I want it to across the strings. With a combination of pickup height, string choice, preamp, and finger placement I can sort of get there, sort of, but not really. I can't help feeling my life would be a whole lot easier with a reversed P pickup. Why aren't they more common? Is it a solution without a problem? Or perhaps a solution for a problem that only effects crappy basses? (or crappy players maybe :unsure: )
[/quote]

Yeah, that was my thought too. And I got a bass made just like that:

Does it make a difference? Hard to say, as the pickup in this case is a tiny bit closer to the bridge than normal so it already sounds a bit different because of that,,, but I think so. What I did was move the EA coil to the other side, closer to the bridge. That gives the EA strings a less bassier tone, more defined, and I think it balances better. But it is not a Precision anymore, which is fine as that was not my goal, but there it is.

• Like 1

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1457620410' post='3000225']
My thoughts on this are what might be sound on paper can sometimes make bugger all difference in the real world..

[/quote]

I've heard lots of both and have seen people spend a fortune on custom basses to get a more even balance across strings by revetsing pickups.

Really doesn't make enough difference to warrant all the time and money. So many other factors in play in terms of balancing tone and volume across the board - not least your right hand plucking technique.

• Like 1

I've got a Streamer with a "reverse" P. I like it. I was tempted to reverse a cheap P copy I had. I played both again and again to check out the difference. I was thinking of moving the G-D split forward on mine. I came to the conclusion that there's such a small difference it's really not worth the hassle.

If you want less treble on the top end, tweak the EQ; job done.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1479161735' post='3174489']

Yeah, that was my thought too. And I got a bass made just like that:

Does it make a difference? Hard to say, as the pickup in this case is a tiny bit closer to the bridge than normal so it already sounds a bit different because of that,,, but I think so. What I did was move the EA coil to the other side, closer to the bridge. That gives the EA strings a less bassier tone, more defined, and I think it balances better. But it is not a Precision anymore, which is fine as that was not my goal, but there it is.
[/quote] the Warwick streamer position

I've std and reversed P basses (see pic a few posts back) and there is no noticeable difference in a live band situation at all to me, perhaps for recording there maybe .

I do like the fact that on the reverse with my thumb on the pickup the D-G pickup is not under my finger position when digging in. That to me is the only plus, and certainly not one worth having done if it wasn't already reversed off the shelf

I've noticed that on some basses, mainly 24 fret basses such as the Ibanez SR750, the reverse p pickup looks very close to the end of the neck, under the d and g strings, to the point where it looks like it might actually get in the way when trying to pop those strings.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1479226212' post='3174881']
Hmmm. Doesn't look as weird as I thought it would.
[/quote]

No its not easily noticed. I brought that bass from dealer (online I never saw in flesh) and did not notice it until it arrived , when I contacted the dealer to ask about its orgin, as it was stock with no alterations or routing , he was puzzled and a bit shocked as he didn't notice it when he brought it himself. In the end I had to contact Fender, who where quite intrigued themselves, and helpful.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1479228725' post='3174912']
Oh? Do tell!
[/quote]

Ive posted before in an effort to get more info, but it appears to be a Rocco Prestia signature model which never got released. There is a couple of pics and one video on line ive found of him using one.

Its a nice find, but I was totally expecting to see routing under the pick guard when I noticed it and return it to the dealer. I wonder if it had been through other hands without being noticed (both me and the dealer didn't at purchase)

Cant find any reference to why he requested it reversed.

Edited by lojo

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1479229207' post='3174918']

Cant find any reference to why he requested it reversed.
[/quote]
As a funk player would he. maybe want more "twang" when slapping the E-A and calm the twang on the popping on the D-G ?

For your further entertainment:
http://youtu.be/puY2_cRLMbQ

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1479327066' post='3175727']

As a funk player would he. maybe want more "twang" when slapping the E-A and calm the twang on the popping on the D-G ?

For your further entertainment:
http://youtu.be/puY2_cRLMbQ
[/quote]

That's the bass

Maybe for twang , but not sure he slaps that much

His ESP has reversed p pickups also , might be some reasoning on thier literature?

Edited by lojo

[quote name='Paulhauser' timestamp='1479383000' post='3176060']
Would be nice to A/B test the same bass with the original P positioning, maybe it is not a big difference.......
[/quote]

Not a realistic option really. :( I have a Warwick Streamer Stage I reverse (as per all Streamers) and a non-reverse Streamer (as per Fender) and the wood density/weight etc is so different that a comparison throws up more questions than it answers.

[url="https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/VdeAZ-IZY0jqJcHQgYEqEkPBUmNg_REOTge_CBB7QBvFHv3hHM2MX8b_H2sKzH5PRrjVQGoRYzRusAVOnTkZWLEPNauv7tl1nq6TLZQyClgVX8VH0yrWVinnoquVLpTtfvHT6pccNULv_OO1Pmtl97b1GaDbJyOQkShxW0CphOtBHaQi8h5WYiPPf2pi9BxCEQ0N6k1CfpjVKObHYjswldJPDop9lJFjn5ooiqvXysg8HEz958AKRfiBjsgtfP6WCV7ezTmZCwq5szMow2DR8moin8isfHk6xc0Ia8Xv-B2dfqzc1VbBOkYxhXEzTYNE50vewTPb27Ku2tNS9hRG-6e8dvuMFuQgoZmofnKGRG685x7KRqV_akCDHZm5xb1StWKdPBjx9h0a5EixpQvpODeaBz-xq-JUtFs5XxOxwaXyFWyb4USwlx0NJD3-goGE1dRFFaTxLFcroxWo0s1UT0MO7rQdsu4RGQXWmlym8m93pNhZc3HjJjwoWUpWjTl0irewoc29PduwYO2s_Y1JvRn2qUyT2hezSlPr___wdGPZMZHruPt49uOn_WoplkGQaoXyv4udCLfdtamvzSoKsgII1xTBaivBOdL1K7X6oKChE6_o=w497-h662-no"]https://lh3.googleus..._o=w497-h662-no[/url]

[attachment=232337:SSI 5th.jpg]

Edited by warwickhunt

• 4 years later...

Waking up an old thread.
Reversed P on a PJ is the way to go. A mystery why it hasn't been used more. The earlier Yamaha BBs, as someone mentioned, has it and they have a great slap sound. I've never come to terms with the regular PJ sound when using both pickups full. Especially when slapping the D-G strings sound thin and plastic, they just don't match and there is much less body in the tone. A reversed P- pickup in the PJ combination makes so much more sense since it beef up the D-G string and makes the E-A strings less boomy and more articulate.  If you don't hear a significant difference I really can't understand how you're listening to bass sounds, it's so obvious. 

On the other, only thinking about the solo'ed P-pickup, that's another issue. The traditional p-bass sound is loved and used so much because of it's character based on the way the E-A strings differ from the D-G and if you change that, you change bass history :)  Only when using the PJ configuration and using both pickups fully is when the benefits from a reversed P-pickup shines. 

• Like 1