Why become a member? ×

Dingwall Stingray?

sunburstjazz1967

The body, pick guard and controls bear a strong resemblance to a Stingray 5 - DR5?

Nice idea, especially for fans of the Stingray 5 and the fanned fret system. Otherwise I think I'd pass on it!!

Ps for those without mwah on their Stingray fretless G string, there's no hope for you - in the same category as a Precision without thump..........

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='Daz39' timestamp='1457359178' post='2997700']
Yes - eagerly awaiting the Dingbird.
They need to do a Ding-Bongo (which is a bit like a drink we used to have as kids), and then maybe a
Dingberger (headless, tiny body), heck, perhaps even a Ding Paul SG-shape.
[/quote]
'Ding-Bongo'? Surely that would be a Dingo? :lol:
I also think they need to make a Fly-Ding Vee.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1457400811' post='2998211']
The Dingwall Thunderbird. Headstock fail.
[/quote]

I don't have a problem with it. The fact that the neck and headstock aren't the same colour as the body and the super-tacky looking wooden scratch plate are far worse aesthetic faux-pas IMO.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1457427883' post='2998294']
Headstock proportion is still not right - matched headstock would be preferable too as you say imho.
[/quote]

I'd want the back of neck to be the same colour as the body - and fingerboard in wood that compliments that colour. Just having a matching headstock is completely half-arsed. IMO natural finished neck unless it's attached to a matching natural body makes the whole bass look cheap.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1457343338' post='2997442']
I've seen pictures of a Stingray with wonky frets, couple of questions, would ebmm not be annoyed by another company copying their design other than changing the frets? and what is the point in the wonky frets anyway? I see some players went for them for a while claiming them to be the best intention ever yet a few years later appear to have gone back to normal frets, that tall guy who plays with Jools Holland being one for example.

I did try one and the fact you can't play chords on them made them unplayable for me.
[/quote]

you must have seen a share from my facebook wall i posted those pics which were only an artist impression

https://www.facebook.com/francesco.camardo/posts/10153788873750342?pnref=story

Just seen the full pics now - it's very nearly brilliant. The pickups wouldn't suit me, and yeah, that scratchplate - the wood and that curve on the bottom edge don't work (and I'm not a fan of silver basses), but at the end of the day it's a one-off show bass, so in that sense it's a testbed for opinions. The body contouring is a great idea, and I'll bet it doesn't dive, either. I like the headstock, but as BRX says, either a full wenge neck (or full maple) and headstock would have been better.

The fan-frettery aside, it just shows how static Gibson are when it comes to one of their most iconic designs - there's been some discussion on another thread about how a proper 64 reissue would be popular, and then there's innovation like this, whereas Kalamazoo are just footling around with black hardware and piffling about with the odd pickup and frankly falling between two stools.

Have to say I really like the D-bird pics I've seen, bearing in mind it's a prototype as I understand it. Sure there are probably things I'd change if I were ordering. They're a custom bass after all - you can order what you like! Some nice touches though, the scalloped section on the back for the strap button for example. I've no problem with the headstock at all. Only looking at the pics on my phone on instagram so can't get a clear view of the PG to comment.

If this was to come as a 5 string with their extended scale I might be in trouble...

Edit: Yes I see what you mean about the pickguard now I've seen the facebook pics. Other than that and having one pickup too many I think it's great! And the scale is the longer Dingwall variety so... will watch with interest!

Edited by Bigwan